Geneticist claims to have found 'God gene' in humans

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Scaramouche
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 May 2006, 8:12 pm

Interesting. Just an imagination mutation?

http://washingtontimes.com/world/200411 ... -8087r.htm

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2006, 12:49 am

Scaramouche wrote:
Interesting. Just an imagination mutation?

http://washingtontimes.com/world/200411 ... -8087r.htm

I don't believe in a god gene as such. I believe nearly all NT just believe what they are tought. Only Aspier are relatively immune to believing in god.

NTs are power-oriented people: Power has precedence over truth, if they don’t have money then they turn to religion for the promise of power. They usually don’t get that power that way but the collective religious people united have lots of power.

Aspiers are truth oriented people: The truth has preceedence over lies and power. Power mostly is achieved by lies. Someone has to see that 2+2=4 not 2+2= gods will, so that scientific progress can be made for all of use.

phoenixjsu
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2006, 5:02 pm

Aspie_Chav wrote:
I don't believe in a god gene as such. I believe nearly all NT just believe what they are tought. Only Aspier are relatively immune to believing in god.

NTs are power-oriented people: Power has precedence over truth, if they don’t have money then they turn to religion for the promise of power. They usually don’t get that power that way but the collective religious people united have lots of power.

Aspiers are truth oriented people: The truth has preceedence over lies and power. Power mostly is achieved by lies. Someone has to see that 2+2=4 not 2+2= gods will, so that scientific progress can be made for all of use.

I (almost) completely disagree with you.

What you are describing is objectivity, and I know plenty of NTs who show this attribute (whether they believe in God or gods or whatever or not). Some even formulate these same ideals.

On the other hand, while logically bound, that does not inherently make us (aspies) "truth oriented people" as I've met more than a few that are just as ignorant as some NTs. Some can even be more ignorant because something in our neurology makes us bias to our own ideas -- that in combination with a limited view of the world (be it through isolation or limited education) can make for a pretty nasty combination.

I do agree with the statement that NT's are power oriented, but only in so much as the fact that our society is power oriented and NT's make up the vast majority. Otherwise, there are NT's just as prone to come to similar conclusions as we tend to -- It's really a matter of the individual, as NT's can vary greatly from person to person.

*Oh, but I do completely agree that there is no God gene.*

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2006, 7:55 pm

I'ts doubtful that there's any on gene responsible for belief in god. It seems to bee deeply rooted in the human psyche to belive in religion of some kind. I forget who came up with this quote, but it goes something like this: "If there was no god, we would need to invent him." There is no god,(at least on we can prove) and we've invented thousands of them. 8)

phoenixjsu
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2006, 8:08 pm

Scrapheap wrote:
"If there was no god, we would need to invent him." There is no god,(at least on we can prove) and we've invented thousands of them. 8)

Voltaire said it.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2006, 11:59 am

Believing in God is voluntary it is up to the Individual to believe or not. To Me there is no gene in the human body that predisposes a human to believe in a God or gods.

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2006, 2:55 pm

phoenixjsu wrote:
Scrapheap wrote:
"If there was no god, we would need to invent him." There is no god,(at least on we can prove) and we've invented thousands of them. 8)

Voltaire said it.

Thanks!! I had a little brain fart there!! !

Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2006, 5:10 pm

Gentlemen, I dare say we are one giant step closer to licking this bothersome "religion" thing once and for all. I propose a toast.

Aspie_Chav wrote:
I believe nearly all NT just believe what they are tought.

Yeah, and all Jews are stingy. :roll:

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2006, 1:32 am

So...... the truth could be stretched into hyperbole by assuming that the root cause for religious fanatacism is determined by genetic predisposition? Does anybody see the Irony that this article was published in a newspaper owned by the Reverend Sun Myung Moon's Unification Church?

sc
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2006, 3:58 am

Social and cultural conditioning...

Ego and Fear. Such as the fear of death, god as power and control and also ones super-ego.

Fear manifesting as the fear of death, with conclusion there is less meaning and when there is a everlasting reality there is infinite meaning I suppose.

Developmental as in ones upbringing plays a role in this greatly, whether to conform to be alike or fit in or to rebel and thus reason.

Perhaps there is certain intelligence types that might be genetic that are more prone to a unique type of subjective and deductive reasoning that is anti-delusion complexes.

Mordy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2006, 9:31 am

The reason people believe in most religions is simple: They don't want to die. That's it. If christianity promised you a pat on the back, would it have survived to our modern era? I dont think so either!

People will do the most craziest things if they believe in their mind that they are going to be rewarded with life and power.

Scaramouche
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jun 2006, 12:13 pm

There's a scientist guy in America doing research into mental states associated with religious experiences. He found that by sticking a helmet full of magnets on peoples' heads and manipulating the brain in certain ways, he can make people have what they refer to as a religious experience, akin to sensing an invisible presence in the room. The brain activity is identical to that observed in people in religious euphorie, deep meditiative trances, et cetera. This seems to me to indicate a biological cause for such things. For further information, check out the article "In Search of God", which appeared in New Scienist magazine on April 21, 2001. I'd paste the whole thing in here, but for copyright issues.

theMascaraSnake
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jun 2006, 4:27 pm

makes perfect sense to me

if there is a God why would he/she/it not create a pathway to realisation of God, cos that's what it sounds like to me, this gene

sc
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2006, 5:27 pm

There is something very interesting about it, perhaps a God belief is more of an emotional intelect. Well it does not sound entirely logical that guess..