Page 1 of 6 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,257
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada

07 Jul 2010, 8:51 pm

The moon and the sun appear to be almost the same size when viewed from earth (depends on the orbit of the moon). This makes for a spectacular scene when total eclipse happens.

Now, you can say that this is coincidence but that would seem like a real weak argument. And it seem like "natural selection" will not cut it. Living things would have existed anyway if the sun and moon were seen as different sizes.



Sand
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Age: 93
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,876
Location: Finland

07 Jul 2010, 9:35 pm

jc6chan wrote:
The moon and the sun appear to be almost the same size when viewed from earth (depends on the orbit of the moon). This makes for a spectacular scene when total eclipse happens.

Now, you can say that this is coincidence but that would seem like a real weak argument. And it seem like "natural selection" will not cut it. Living things would have existed anyway if the sun and moon were seen as different sizes.


People who need a god to make them feel comfortable in a universe that doesn't give a high fart at the Moon whether mankind or life itself exists or not will reach for any peculiarity to justify their delusion.



jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,257
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada

07 Jul 2010, 9:52 pm

Sand wrote:
jc6chan wrote:
The moon and the sun appear to be almost the same size when viewed from earth (depends on the orbit of the moon). This makes for a spectacular scene when total eclipse happens.

Now, you can say that this is coincidence but that would seem like a real weak argument. And it seem like "natural selection" will not cut it. Living things would have existed anyway if the sun and moon were seen as different sizes.


People who need a god to make them feel comfortable in a universe that doesn't give a high fart at the Moon whether mankind or life itself exists or not will reach for any peculiarity to justify their delusion.

Whaaat????



Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Dec 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,316
Location: Omnipresent

07 Jul 2010, 10:11 pm

I don't know what you are getting at or what you are trying to say.



jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,257
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada

07 Jul 2010, 10:13 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
I don't know what you are getting at or what you are trying to say.

This is a sign that you are speechless.



Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Dec 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,316
Location: Omnipresent

07 Jul 2010, 10:18 pm

jc6chan wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:
I don't know what you are getting at or what you are trying to say.

This is a sign that you are speechless.

No, I mean that this seems so freaking pointless that I don't get your point.



jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,257
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada

07 Jul 2010, 10:29 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
jc6chan wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:
I don't know what you are getting at or what you are trying to say.

This is a sign that you are speechless.

No, I mean that this seems so freaking pointless that I don't get your point.

Do you believe it is a coincidence that the moon appears the same size as the sun when viewed from earth?



Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Aug 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,765
Location: Room 101

07 Jul 2010, 10:48 pm

Do you think it's a coincidence that they're both spherical? :roll:


_________________
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH


jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2009
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,257
Location: Waterloo, ON, Canada

07 Jul 2010, 11:00 pm

Orwell wrote:
Do you think it's a coincidence that they're both spherical? :roll:

Planets with large masses tend to be spherical because of the way gravity pulls itself together. I can't have a detailed explanation but I know it has to do with physics. Your point of comparing that to my point is irrelevant. Its like saying if its a coincidence that all humans have a head, 2 eyes, 2 ears, etc...



MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 19,810
Location: Earth

07 Jul 2010, 11:01 pm

Could mean only one thing.

The moon had sex with the sun hence Gaea was born.


_________________
I live as I choose or I will not live at all.
~Delores O’Riordan


Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Aug 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,765
Location: Room 101

07 Jul 2010, 11:10 pm

I don't understand how you imagine the relative perceived sizes of the sun and moon are theologically significant. It seems mildly insane to posit that there is any necessary connection here.

And I have no idea where natural selection entered into your line of thought.


_________________
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH


skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Mar 2006
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,156
Location: New Orleans, LA

08 Jul 2010, 1:30 am

jc6chan wrote:
Now, you can say that this is coincidence but that would seem like a real weak argument.



Coincidence is a weak argument and the eclipse is something rare enough for you to be amazed by it. If you've ever actually witnessed one, the whole sun isn't blocked out. The eclipse is far from a perfect form-fit as far as covering the sun goes. It doesn't appear the same size to anyone who can actually view it and even those dumb enough to look directly at it should realize that it's not covering the whole sun.


_________________
Wherever they burn books they will also, in the end, burn human beings. ~Heinrich Heine, Almansor, 1823

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson


mcg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2010
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 538
Location: Sacramento

08 Jul 2010, 2:04 am

It seems to me that a ratio of perceived sizes of 1:1 is not inherently any more unlikely than any other single ratio of perceived sizes.



greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,915
Location: Home

08 Jul 2010, 2:34 am

jc6chan wrote:
The moon and the sun appear to be almost the same size when viewed from earth (depends on the orbit of the moon). This makes for a spectacular scene when total eclipse happens.

Now, you can say that this is coincidence but that would seem like a real weak argument. And it seem like "natural selection" will not cut it. Living things would have existed anyway if the sun and moon were seen as different sizes.

Few questions:
Do you believe you have actually falsified evolution, cosmology and geology?
Do you believe you beat the scientific community and atheist philosophers with that "brilliant" analisys?
Do you believe you have proved God's existence ?


Additional question: Do you expect atheists to question their positions with that argument of yours?

Heck! MissContrue's explanation makes as much as sense, or perhaps even more, given the perception of the size of the moon and the sun, then the cosmic sexual relationship can be as plausible.

One last question: Do you actually believe in that crap you said?


_________________
?Everything is perfect in the universe - even your desire to improve it.?


LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Oct 2007
Age: 41
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,857

08 Jul 2010, 3:03 am

greenblue wrote:
One last question: Do you actually believe in that crap you said?


How about we count the amount of threads/posts, where one acts like they know more than the other, and post as if to proove they are somehow intellectualy superior, regardless of sides? :D I wander which one does it more around here?