The Theory of Relativity is a Liberal Plot!! !

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 11:58 am

Ok, I am not sure who has heard this:

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.c ... hp?ref=fpa

But apparently the theory of relativity is argued by conservapedia founder to be a liberal plot. If you do not believe this is the case, look through the articles on the matter, as it is clear that the author identifies relativity as a "liberal" phenomenon. What should this information cause us to think about the right-wing and many conservatives? Given that a lot of BS comes from that direction, how can we really address this? Has the right outright lost much of its intellectual authority due to this kind of nonsense? Are there comparative issues with the left?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 12:11 pm

Probably because the word "relativity" sounds similar to "relativism."

I'm surprised he's OK with quantum mechanics, though.

Now, Conservapedia is stupid even by conservative standards, but yes, the right in general is intellectually bankrupt.

Spyral
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Aug 2010, 12:12 pm

Reality has a well-known liberal bias. Science and Religion are not mutually exclusive. Trying to use scientific information to "prove" the miracles of Christ or using the miracles to disprove the science is just ludicrous. And destroys the beauty and magic of the miracles.

The left is not blameless here, though. Not only have they let the "right" co-opt Christianity as their own personal crusade, they've made it almost impossible to be a Christian and a liberal. Because many liberals have an intense hatred for the church and openly mock the Bible and it's teachings. At least in my experience trying to find cohesion in the two arenas.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 1:27 pm

Spyral wrote:
they've made it almost impossible to be a Christian and a liberal.

Tell that to my entire congregation.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 2:01 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Ok, I am not sure who has heard this:

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.c ... hp?ref=fpa

But apparently the theory of relativity is argued by conservapedia founder to be a liberal plot. If you do not believe this is the case, look through the articles on the matter, as it is clear that the author identifies relativity as a "liberal" phenomenon. What should this information cause us to think about the right-wing and many conservatives? Given that a lot of BS comes from that direction, how can we really address this? Has the right outright lost much of its intellectual authority due to this kind of nonsense? Are there comparative issues with the left?

Relativity, the physical theories has nothing to do with relativism, the non-absolute view of morality. If anything Relativity Theory (the physical theory) is all about things that do not change under a certain group of transformation. The Theory of Relativity should rightly be called the Theory of Lorentzian Covariance.

ruveyn

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 4:27 pm

Jesus can travel faster than the speed of light, therefore Einstein was wrong?

The Bible gives a better description of reality than physicists, after all.

Spyral
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Aug 2010, 7:23 pm

Orwell wrote:
Spyral wrote:

Might be just the liberals I know, then. Seems like whenever I'm in a political discussion the Christian-bashing begins very quickly and I, the sole Christian in the room, must stand as "defender of the faith" and answer for all the mistakes made by any Christian anywhere. Very frustrating. Would love to have a good group of like-minded Christian libs but in the Bible Belt they are hiding or something because there does not seem to be anyone like me here.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 7:21 am

Spyral wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Spyral wrote:

Might be just the liberals I know, then. Seems like whenever I'm in a political discussion the Christian-bashing begins very quickly and I, the sole Christian in the room, must stand as "defender of the faith" and answer for all the mistakes made by any Christian anywhere. Very frustrating. Would love to have a good group of like-minded Christian libs but in the Bible Belt they are hiding or something because there does not seem to be anyone like me here.

Don't be so quick to judge your fellow Christians. Not everyone has spent very much time understanding the faith and some of the "mistakes" you see are due to immaturity. New converts can often be extremely zealous. In expressing Christ's message of compassion they themselves forget to be compassionate. At one time, not really that long ago, Hell was a hot topic in sermons. So many Christians picked up on the fact that certain sins that were becoming increasingly prevalent culturally were expressly condemned by the Bible. This, of course, is the reason for a lot of finger-pointing. There is certainly a Biblical basis for the finger pointing, but it ignores the facts that: 1) ALL sins condemn the sinner to Hell, not just certain ones, and 2) ALL are sinners, including Christians themselves. Christians who have been in the faith for a long time, who have experienced God in their lives, and who have been genuinely challenged and tested will be slow to judge and yet remain true to the gospel message.

Be patient. If you personally know and are close to a Christian who you know to be in error, be quick to correct that person. And at the same time, be patient with Christians who are young in faith. Look within yourself as well, making sure that you yourself are free of the guilt you see in others and examining those areas that still cause you to stumble.

Spyral
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Aug 2010, 12:08 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Spyral wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Spyral wrote:

Don't be so quick to judge your fellow Christians. Not everyone has spent very much time understanding the faith and some of the "mistakes" you see are due to immaturity. New converts can often be extremely zealous. In expressing Christ's message of compassion they themselves forget to be compassionate. At one time, not really that long ago, Hell was a hot topic in sermons. So many Christians picked up on the fact that certain sins that were becoming increasingly prevalent culturally were expressly condemned by the Bible. This, of course, is the reason for a lot of finger-pointing. There is certainly a Biblical basis for the finger pointing, but it ignores the facts that: 1) ALL sins condemn the sinner to Hell, not just certain ones, and 2) ALL are sinners, including Christians themselves. Christians who have been in the faith for a long time, who have experienced God in their lives, and who have been genuinely challenged and tested will be slow to judge and yet remain true to the gospel message.

Be patient. If you personally know and are close to a Christian who you know to be in error, be quick to correct that person. And at the same time, be patient with Christians who are young in faith. Look within yourself as well, making sure that you yourself are free of the guilt you see in others and examining those areas that still cause you to stumble.

I think I was unclear. By "mistake" I meant things like the Crusades and the Catholic Church's policies towards native peoples like the Druids and Celts. Or the Puritans burning witches or the Spanish Inquisition. (which nobody expects :lol: ) The zealousness is an issue, true, but I was referring more to zealousness as a group as opposed to individual Christians and their judging. Somehow I have to defend my faith and answer for everything the Church has ever done in 2000 years of its history.

Me and my fellow believers are usually good. It's frustrating to see leaders in the Church condemning and judging in the public sphere (like politicians and people like Pat Robertson). But on an individual level, I do try to remove my log before looking for specks in my neighbors. There is a lot of finger-pointing in this area from people who seem to think there are sins that are worse than others, and I try and explain (in love) that stressing those sins makes it difficult for some to come to faith because they think their sins are unforgivable and the worst things ever. Not enough emphasis on Grace. As someone who went through a serious "prodigal son" phase, I am pretty sensitive to the issues facing new believers (I was "of the world" not too long ago) and aware that those in my church who watched me go through that never really forgave me for my missteps.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 12:20 pm

Spyral wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Spyral wrote:

Of course they're hiding in the Bible Belt, or else the other "Christians" in the area simply refuse to recognize them as such. In certain parts of the country, the right has co-opted Christianity to the point where if you express even vaguely liberal views you are subject to an excommunication of sorts.

you_are_what_you_is
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 1:06 pm

Nonsense. The theory of relativity is in fact a conservative plot designed to brainwash us all into patriarchal frameworks of thought.

Is E=mc2 a sexed equation? Perhaps it is. Let us make the hypothesis that it is insofar as it privileges the speed of light over other speeds that are vitally necessary to us. What seems to me to indicate the possibly sexed nature of the equation is not directly its uses by nuclear weapons, rather it is having privileged what goes fastest...

- Luce Irigaray

Obviously that's utter bollocks, and if you want to read more utter bollocks, check out Fashionable Nonsense: Postmodern Intellectuals' Abuse of Science by Alan Sokal & Jean Bricmont. It contains many extended, sometimes completely incomprehensible quotes, often even more ridiculous than that one above.

Of course E=mc2 isn't a liberal conspiracy, and it's not a patriarchal conspiracy, either. Anti-scientific nonsense is a problem that infects both the left and right.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 6:58 pm

Spyral wrote:
I think I was unclear. By "mistake" I meant things like the Crusades and the Catholic Church's policies towards native peoples like the Druids and Celts. Or the Puritans burning witches or the Spanish Inquisition. (which nobody expects :lol: ) The zealousness is an issue, true, but I was referring more to zealousness as a group as opposed to individual Christians and their judging. Somehow I have to defend my faith and answer for everything the Church has ever done in 2000 years of its history.

Me and my fellow believers are usually good. It's frustrating to see leaders in the Church condemning and judging in the public sphere (like politicians and people like Pat Robertson). But on an individual level, I do try to remove my log before looking for specks in my neighbors. There is a lot of finger-pointing in this area from people who seem to think there are sins that are worse than others, and I try and explain (in love) that stressing those sins makes it difficult for some to come to faith because they think their sins are unforgivable and the worst things ever. Not enough emphasis on Grace. As someone who went through a serious "prodigal son" phase, I am pretty sensitive to the issues facing new believers (I was "of the world" not too long ago) and aware that those in my church who watched me go through that never really forgave me for my missteps.

I see what you mean.

Ya know, the Bible describes God as a jealous God who punishes the sin of one person "to the seventh generation." What you're talking about is exactly what this is talking about. It doesn't mean that God punishes children for the misdeeds of the parents. It means that children have to live with the consequences of the parents' actions. Children have to decide to accept or reject the ways of their parents, and are more often accepting of their parents. In this way, children become guilty of their parents' sin and perpetuate the wrongdoing of past generations. And even when we reject our parents' ways and try to do what is right, we end up trying to clean up their mess.

THAT is what you are trying to defend. However, YOU are not the one who who sat with the Inquisitors. YOU are not the one who burned witches. That is the mess made by our believing forbears, many of whom did the wrong thing from bad leadership or who were themselves unbelieving and corrupt, invoking the name of God to further whatever agenda was convenient at the time.

Though you aren't really asking, I say this: Don't defend it. The REAL message of the Gospels and Christ, despite the differences you and I might have regarding social and political matters, is one of compassion, of the hope for salvation of all who will believe. What happened in the past remains in the past. You have nothing to apologize for.

Spyral
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Aug 2010, 7:38 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Spyral wrote:

I see what you mean.

Ya know, the Bible describes God as a jealous God who punishes the sin of one person "to the seventh generation." What you're talking about is exactly what this is talking about. It doesn't mean that God punishes children for the misdeeds of the parents. It means that children have to live with the consequences of the parents' actions. Children have to decide to accept or reject the ways of their parents, and are more often accepting of their parents. In this way, children become guilty of their parents' sin and perpetuate the wrongdoing of past generations. And even when we reject our parents' ways and try to do what is right, we end up trying to clean up their mess.

THAT is what you are trying to defend. However, YOU are not the one who who sat with the Inquisitors. YOU are not the one who burned witches. That is the mess made by our believing forbears, many of whom did the wrong thing from bad leadership or who were themselves unbelieving and corrupt, invoking the name of God to further whatever agenda was convenient at the time.

Though you aren't really asking, I say this: Don't defend it. The REAL message of the Gospels and Christ, despite the differences you and I might have regarding social and political matters, is one of compassion, of the hope for salvation of all who will believe. What happened in the past remains in the past. You have nothing to apologize for.

Perfect! I never thought of it that way. I really do try to not get sucked into religious discussions and when they start I try to gracefully exit the area. However I am torn because I don't like people thinking all Christians are like the Inquisitors. (Trying my best to witness with my life). :idea: But perhaps simplifying the message down to Grace Alone and for All and sticking to it is the best strategy for letting my Gospel light shine. And for my mental health.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 9:06 pm

Spyral wrote:

Perfect! I never thought of it that way. I really do try to not get sucked into religious discussions and when they start I try to gracefully exit the area. However I am torn because I don't like people thinking all Christians are like the Inquisitors. (Trying my best to witness with my life). :idea: But perhaps simplifying the message down to Grace Alone and for All and sticking to it is the best strategy for letting my Gospel light shine. And for my mental health.

Grace plus $3.17 buy me a small coffee and two Old Fashioned donuts at the local Dunkin' Donuts (tm).

ruveyn