Page 1 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

FashFash
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Aug 2010, 9:25 pm

You don't hear of them complaining about other religious beliefs, just Christians.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 9:52 pm

Christianity is the religion in the cultural background of most atheists, and it is also the religion that they most commonly see attempting to proselyte and defend its tenets.

Some people have been critical towards the Baha'i faith in this forum as well, because a Baha'i was promoting it. The issue though is that people here know less about it, it is less embedded into our culture, and a person could live their entire lives in a Western country without knowing that the Baha'i faith exists.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 9:54 pm

Pat Condell disses Islam so hard that other atheists get mad at him (another youtube atheist even went so far as to tell him "stop being such a f***ing idiot!")
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Condell
And of course there's this guy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geert_Wilders

My theory is that atheists in christian nations criticize christianity because it's the religion that's all around them. They might not know anything about what radical islam can do to people if they haven't seen what happens in some other countries.

Some of the others might be so full of liberal PC crap that they think Islam in a innocent victim.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 10:58 pm

FashFash wrote:
You don't hear of them complaining about other religious beliefs, just Christians.
What makes you think so?

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 11:12 pm

I was raised by christians and never doubted their beliefs till I was 16. Christianity is the only religion I have enough of an understanding of to really intelligently hate it. However I dislike ALL religions.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 11:25 pm

To me, Christianity seems a lot worse (especially in the history of) than Islam or other religions. Plus most rather vocal atheists are teenagers who are surrounded by Christianity, and thus ignorant to other religions.

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 11:50 pm

been in many countries on all continents with human populations. let's take islamic countries....if you say you don't believe in allah, you get your head chopped off.....so few non-believers. in israel, say you don't believe in god and you lose contact with other humans, similar to mormons. easy to be an atheist in christian countries, comparatively.non-believer's in usa, uk trash christianity because that's what they know and what gets crammed down their throat day and night. es verdad.

JVDifferent
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Aug 2010, 12:31 am

To paraphrase Richard Dawkins, everyone is atheistic towards most gods in the huge array humanity has ever believed in, but some of us just go one god further than that. I think for a lot of the more vocal atheists out there, that one god tends to be the christian god. It certainly was the case for me.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 12:57 am

FashFash wrote:

Most live in Christian majority countries so it's the target that they're most familiar with.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 2:40 am

Not anti-christian, more anti-christianity. This seems more pushed in your face compared to others in my experience. I have friends of different faiths and I respect that they do not push them onto me. And I respect them by not talking or arguing about my views with them.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 3:16 am

One good reason for being anti-Christianity is that Christianity requires that one attempt to convert non-Christian to Christianity. It is a duty within Christianity to make that attempt. People who attempt to convert others are annoying and obnoxious, so the dislike follows logically.

ruveyn

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 3:47 am

If the Hindu insisted that a blue eyed white guy like me should convert to their beliefs, they'd earn my ire as well.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 5:09 am

If you lived in parts of India, a Hindu might well feel the need to forcibly convert you.

http://atheism.about.com/b/2004/01/19/h ... gnored.htm

you_are_what_you_is
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 6:51 am

This is not the case in my experience.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 6:59 am

mgran wrote:
If you lived in parts of India, a Hindu might well feel the need to forcibly convert you.

http://atheism.about.com/b/2004/01/19/h ... gnored.htm

I'm not particularly concerned about green house gases on Venus.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2010, 8:34 am

ruveyn wrote:
One good reason for being anti-Christianity is that Christianity requires that one attempt to convert non-Christian to Christianity. It is a duty within Christianity to make that attempt. People who attempt to convert others are annoying and obnoxious, so the dislike follows logically.

ruveyn
Not really. There are such extremists everywhere. Most atheists in this forum speak up against Christian/Hebrew/Muslim traditions for two reasons:
- In response to threads made by Christians (As they are clearly the majority among theists in this forum).
- Because they live surrounded by Christians.

For atheists in other places, the priority is different. For example: http://nirmukta.com/2009/12/07/indian-r ... ges-ahead/