Page 3 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 1:57 am

I am sure there are atheists who are annoyed by Islam as much as they are annoyed with Christianity.

You will notice that adherents to Islam attempt to convert unbelievers in their faith (or kill them, if they fail to do so or a least assent to the principle of conversion or death).

ruveyn

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 8:10 am

01001011 wrote:
What is unique among Christian apologists is they claim their belief is rational / scientific, and some of them go into studying the likes of creation science, etc.
Radical Muslims claim the same.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 10:20 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
01001011 wrote:
What is unique among Christian apologists is they claim their belief is rational / scientific, and some of them go into studying the likes of creation science, etc.

Some radical Muslims claim that evolution is a "Christian conspiracy" whatever that means.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 10:40 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
01001011 wrote:

Some radical Muslims claim that evolution is a "Christian conspiracy" whatever that means.

That's crazy talk. The Christian view of evolution is often that it offers an alternative explanation of creation that is purposefully contrary to Biblical creation. Why would we create a "conspiracy" that would undermine our own beliefs? If ANYONE is forming a conspiracy based on evolution, and I stress IF, it would more likely be the atheists. Somehow I don't even see that happening. Sounds to me like the radical Muslims are propagating false information to accomplish their objectives.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 10:42 am

AngelRho wrote:
That's crazy talk.

All of the Judeo-Christian-Muslims religions are crazy talk. Just a bunch of blithering slaves.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 12:40 pm

Not exactly, I'm atheist but not anti christian, I'm very critical towards ALL religion in general, or atleast organised religion.
I don't have a problem with the old pagan religions, since their followers were the ones that kick started sciences like astronomy, and there were greek philosophers who spoke about modern ideas like evolution. It was when the newer religions like jeudaism and chrsitianity became popular when all that early science was stopped and progress was extremely slow.

DenvrDave
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 12:44 pm

AngelRho wrote:
The Christian view of evolution is often that it offers an alternative explanation of creation that is purposefully contrary to Biblical creation.

Unfortunately, repeating this rhetoric neither solves any problems nor furthers the debate. As has been stated many times, evolution does not explain the creation of life, it only explains the diversity of life. What we have here is a failure of one side to listen to the other. This is not constructive dialogue.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 12:56 pm

DenvrDave wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
The Christian view of evolution is often that it offers an alternative explanation of creation that is purposefully contrary to Biblical creation.

Unfortunately, repeating this rhetoric neither solves any problems nor furthers the debate. As has been stated many times, evolution does not explain the creation of life, it only explains the diversity of life. What we have here is a failure of one side to listen to the other. This is not constructive dialogue.

It IS constructive dialogue if it's relevant. All I'm doing is stating a viewpoint.

If some radical Muslims say that evolution is some kind of conspiracy created by Christians, they're using a lie to persuade other Muslims and even the rest of the world to take their side. What I was simply saying is that for a Christian, when many Christians find something wrong or contradictory with evolution--whether it is or not, to come up with and propagate some kind of conspiracy based on evolution is absurd as it would be contradictory to what Christians actually believe. It has nothing to do with what evolution actually is or means. You also completely ignored the fact that I said that if, meaning ONLY IF, evolution is a conspiracy at all, it would have been more likely to have been cooked up by atheists than Christians as evolution arguments succeed more in furthering atheistic ideas rather than Christian ideas.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 3:32 pm

MONKEY wrote:
I don't have a problem with the old pagan religions

I like the way you think.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 3:53 pm

I do find it hypocritical that nonbelievers will attack Christians for opposing same-sex marriage and women's rights, but they will ignore the fact that in many Islamic majority nations, homosexuality is punishable by death, and women can't so much as drive cars or be in public without an immediate male relative.

I supported the Iraq and Afghanistan wars because I felt that intervening would help liberate people from repressive regimes. It's not like Bush was planning to reopen the old Nazi death camps and start gassing Muslims.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Last edited by Tim_Tex on 13 Aug 2010, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 3:56 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I do find it hypocritical that nonbelievers will attack Christians for opposing same-sex marriage and women's rights, but they will ignore the fact that in many Islamic majority nations, homosexuality is punishable by death, and women can't so much as drive cars or be in public without an immediate male relative.

Your point makes no sense. Attacking Christianity doesn't denote one's acceptance of other religions. Anyway, if you live in a predominantly Christian country, there's less need to attack Islam et al because the general consensus is probably pretty negative towards them already.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 3:59 pm

KaiG wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Your point makes no sense. Attacking Christianity doesn't denote one's acceptance of other religions. Anyway, if you live in a predominantly Christian country, there's less need to attack Islam et al because the general consensus is probably pretty negative towards them already.

I think it's because they associate Christianity with Westboro Baptist Church and the abortion clinic bombers.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Mutate
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2010, 4:21 pm

Where I live (the UK), the most popular atheist writers are Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris and Christopher Hitchens, and all of those 3 are against islam and write lots about how evil they believe islamic countries are. I am sure the last 2 were also political supporters of the "war on terror"/ iraq war although I do not know of Dawkins views. I find Hitchen's books entertaining and lurid to read, it is interesting to read about all the horrible, perverted and cruel religious leaders he digs up info on, but I think he is a nasty person who looks for the worst and ignores the good, and I do not think it is logical of him to present those horrible stories as an arguement "this hindu/buddhist/jew was horrible, so that proves the religion is false". Entertaining books though.

Sam Harris I think is living in a dream world where he thinks that all religious fundamentalists are going to convert to jainism after hearing him point out the "difficult" parts of their scriptures - as if they haven't already read those parts and read apologists from their own faith about them. Religious poeple are not as unthinking as he thinks they are, they do question the difficult parts of their books and look for apologetics by writers in their own faith. He thinks they are just going to say "wow, your saying the bible condoned slavery, wow I'd better convert to jainism".

as for dawkins I think he is more scientific and philosophical than actually critising specific religions, but he does seem clumsy and un informed when he tries to do that, for instance complaining about a sermon he heard about people being chosen for heaven without knowing that its called pre-destination and it came from Calvinism. His more general scientific and philosophical musings are better imo though he does not accept the posibilty of things outside of science as much as I do.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 5:41 pm

Mutate wrote:
Where I live (the UK), the most popular atheist writers are Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris and Christopher Hitchens, and all of those 3 are against islam and write lots about how evil they believe islamic countries are. I am sure the last 2 were also political supporters of the "war on terror"/ iraq war although I do not know of Dawkins views. I find Hitchen's books entertaining and lurid to read, it is interesting to read about all the horrible, perverted and cruel religious leaders he digs up info on, but I think he is a nasty person who looks for the worst and ignores the good, and I do not think it is logical of him to present those horrible stories as an arguement "this hindu/buddhist/jew was horrible, so that proves the religion is false". Entertaining books though.

Sam Harris I think is living in a dream world where he thinks that all religious fundamentalists are going to convert to jainism after hearing him point out the "difficult" parts of their scriptures - as if they haven't already read those parts and read apologists from their own faith about them. Religious poeple are not as unthinking as he thinks they are, they do question the difficult parts of their books and look for apologetics by writers in their own faith. He thinks they are just going to say "wow, your saying the bible condoned slavery, wow I'd better convert to jainism".

as for dawkins I think he is more scientific and philosophical than actually critising specific religions, but he does seem clumsy and un informed when he tries to do that, for instance complaining about a sermon he heard about people being chosen for heaven without knowing that its called pre-destination and it came from Calvinism. His more general scientific and philosophical musings are better imo though he does not accept the posibilty of things outside of science as much as I do.

Dawkins has actually been consistently anti-war. According to wikipedia he was very involved in the anti-war demonstrations during the Vietnan war and he also openly expressed opposition to Iraq's. Even though he, as just about any other notable atheist sees Religion as an ultimate justification for violence and the reason of 9/11 attacks, but it does not necessarily justify the so-called war on terror.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 7:25 pm

I believe atheists, in general, are against any belief in the supernatural, religions and things like astrology, psychics, etc. The issue with Christianity is that if that influences society they live in, in a way, such as undermining some freedoms, basing it on religious beliefs rather than empirical evidence, that is what they despise.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2010, 11:08 pm

Because many athiests are former Christians were were lied to or abused in the name of God or who were bullied by so called "Christians" or basicaly justh ad very bad expirences with other Christians. "Talk the talk" Christians are very easy to hate.