Good Social Skills = Better Political Knowledge?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mutate
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2010, 5:00 am

A lot of my friends who are into politics and activism use their personal relationships to make their points ie "all the Iraqis I know say..." "all the union members in my town think..." "Most of my Muslim friends believe..."

But to have this level of experience of talking to groups requires good social skills right? I mean to go to the political group in your hometown that the iraqi-born people all went to and talk to them about what they thought requires the confidence and social skill to have converstations, which some autistics don't have. Or even to just be a social, popular person who has many friends of different ethnic groups and feels comfortable enough with them to chat to them about big issues.

then again, they could join forums like this. I'm sure pretty much all the religious political and ethnic groups in the world have a selection of forums curious people can go to, to chat to them.

but those types of quotes I started with upset me. The idea that socially successful people who are good at building lots of friendships have more valid views?

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 6:03 am

I don't think those views are more valid. The use of anecdotal evidence is an effective debating technique, especially if you can pull of a good sob story like politicians tend to do. It's also a staple of infomercials - why? because if you lack actual data proving your point, the "well I know a guy" thing can convince people. Problem is - that those views tend to be skewed. Even if a person does know a bunch of Iraqis or union members and doesn't have an agenda, it is still too small a statistical sample and can be quite biased due to the fact that people tend to spend time with people who are similar or agreeable to them.

Mutate
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2010, 6:32 am

yeah, good point.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 6:38 am

There is the possibility that they're just making it up. That they know that no one will be able to easily check such claims. And maybe it's not even a conscious lie, but rather that they feel like "most people who are X think Y..." when they've actually never asked around.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 7:59 am

Mutate wrote:
A lot of my friends who are into politics and activism use their personal relationships to make their points ie "all the Iraqis I know say..." "all the union members in my town think..." "Most of my Muslim friends believe..."
That's actually a pretty poor argument.

Knowing Iraqis only increases your anecdotal evidence, it is neither necessary nor sufficient for having any knowledge.

Mutate
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2010, 5:00 pm

I agree. My ex girlfriend used to go on about how she was a great anti racist in the past and was "heavily involved" with the Islamic community and knew so much about Islam. Then one day we walked past a Sikh gurdwara and she said "see thats a nice muslim church i bet it is peaceful in there" or some such. It just goes to show how people can talk themself up sometimes but you shouldnt take it so seriously. I can't see how anyone could mistake a gurdwara for a mosque with the huge sword logo on the front, and I am enough of an ignoramus.

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 5:19 pm

Mutate wrote:
I agree. My ex girlfriend used to go on about how she was a great anti racist in the past and was "heavily involved" with the Islamic community and knew so much about Islam. Then one day we walked past a Sikh gurdwara and she said "see thats a nice muslim church i bet it is peaceful in there" or some such. It just goes to show how people can talk themself up sometimes but you shouldnt take it so seriously. I can't see how anyone could mistake a gurdwara for a mosque with the huge sword logo on the front, and I am enough of an ignoramus.

your such a prick!! ! My special interest is not religion unlike you. Ive never claimed to be heavily involved with the islamic community and have only seen a couple of mosques in my life. Ive never in my life seen a sikh temple before. Dont blame me because you feel intimidated arguing with me, thats your problem not mine. Ive never said I know more about religion than you but you seem to glorify in ridiculing me and condeming my views. Even though I dated a muslim man for a year we never talked about religion as Im not interested in it, if anything I would only talk about atheism with him, but mostly we didnt talk as he hardly spoke any english!

shall I make a thread about you thinking caterpillas were mammals then?

Mutate
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2010, 5:25 pm

i do not care what people think of me. you have been popular and respected so it hurts you to imagine people seeing you make a mistake or have a flaw. i have been seen as crap and weird all my life so a bit of foolishness on a forum is nothing to me.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 5:25 pm

lotusblossom wrote:
Mutate wrote:

You're such a prick!! ! My special interest is not religion, unlike you. I've never claimed to be heavily involved with the Islamic community and have only seen a couple of mosques in my life. I've never, in my life, seen a Sikh temple before. Don't blame me because you feel intimidated arguing with me, that's your problem, not mine. I've never said I know more about religion than you but you seem to take pride in ridiculing me and condemning my views. Even though I dated a Muslim man for a year, we never talked about religion as I'm not interested in it, if anything I would only talk about atheism with him, but mostly we didn't talk as he hardly spoke any English!

Shall I make a thread about you thinking that caterpillars were mammals then?

No, no, I'm such a prick. I corrected all of your grammar mistakes. (Possibly inserted my own though....)

Also, I would love it if you did make a thread about thinking that caterpillars are mammals. :P (Also, I know the humor might be lost in this, but I am totally doing this in a joking manner)

Mutate
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2010, 5:26 pm

I did not think catapilars were mammals. I thought all insects were mammals.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 5:27 pm

Mutate wrote:
i do not care what people think of me. you have been popular and respected so it hurts you to imagine people seeing you make a mistake or have a flaw. i have been seen as crap and weird all my life so a bit of foolishness on a forum is nothing to me.

Do you want to start the thread on caterpillars being mammals then?

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 5:27 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
lotusblossom wrote:
Mutate wrote:

You're such a prick!! ! My special interest is not religion, unlike you. I've never claimed to be heavily involved with the Islamic community and have only seen a couple of mosques in my life. I've never, in my life, seen a Sikh temple before. Don't blame me because you feel intimidated arguing with me, that's your problem, not mine. I've never said I know more about religion than you but you seem to take pride in ridiculing me and condemning my views. Even though I dated a Muslim man for a year, we never talked about religion as I'm not interested in it, if anything I would only talk about atheism with him, but mostly we didn't talk as he hardly spoke any English!

No, no, I'm such a prick. I corrected all of your grammar mistakes. (Possibly inserted my own though....)

Also, I would love it if you did make a thread about thinking that caterpillars are mammals. :P (Also, I know the humor might be lost in this, but I am totally doing this in a joking manner)

you realise that by correcting my grammar, you now have to live with me and help correct me all the time :wink:

lotusblossom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 5:29 pm

Mutate wrote:

no it hurts me that you have been storing me mistaking the sikh temple for a mosque, for the last 6 months, stewing on it and condeming me whilst saying nothing to my face!

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 5:29 pm

Mutate wrote:
I did not think catapilars were mammals. I thought all insects were mammals.

I am glad that you corrected lotusblossom. Would you still like to start the thread? Also, how could you make the mistake? Everybody knows that only tarantulas and only CERTAIN caterpillars are mammals. Most bugs don't have hair.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 5:30 pm

lotusblossom wrote:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:
lotusblossom wrote:
Mutate wrote:

You realise that by correcting my grammar, you now have to live with me and help correct me all the time :wink:

I refuse.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2010, 5:31 pm

lotusblossom wrote:
Mutate wrote:

no it hurts me that you have been storing me mistaking the sikh temple for a mosque, for the last 6 months, stewing on it and condeming me whilst saying nothing to my face!

Well, if it helps defend Mutate, you making this mistake, makes me Sikh!