Scientology behind vaccine and autism misinformation?

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2010, 11:57 pm

Well, today I had a revelation. Your typical Quack Wacko site - naturalnews.com - is lead by a rabid scientology defender and in fact started off as a front of defense and spreading of scientology "philosophy".

Then I wondered if scientologists are the ones to blame for most of the anti-vax stuff on the internet. They do have the resources. They also have the access to celebrities which would explain why celebrities are so much into anti-vax.

So far, I only have this: http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/comment/avn.htm At least in Australia, the link between scientology and anti-vax is pretty clear. Was wondering if people can find more.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 12:24 am

fascinating hypothesis.
Most conspiracy theories turn out not to be true, but I will look forward to seeing more info from you on this.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 10:29 am

Is Scientology one of the forces behind vaccine and autism misinformation? Yes (my view) but Scientology is not the only force. There are and have been a number of non-profit churches which have tended to strongly imply that autism is due to a lack of faith by the parents or the person with autism. It is not limited to just the non-profit Church of Scientology at all.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 10:36 am

Doubt it.

The hard data about issues over vaccines are reported in mainstream press articles, and Scientologists would not be the only people who take issue over some of the stuff put into vaccines that were declared "safe" (but have been proven otherwise). Likewise, Big Pharma has taken it on the chin enough times over inadequate testing for safety before pushing stuff to market.

So, they might be a group with an agenda, but they aren't the sole voice out there taking issue with them.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 12:02 pm

zer0netagain, if you really think that there is a cover up about lack of safety in vaccines, I can just say: wow, just wow...

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 3:02 pm

I don't think so. I think it all goes back to the British doctor, Dr. Wakefield, who did the original research linking vaccine use and autism. There is no evidence that he has ties to Scientology. He apparently was just a terrible researcher. His research has since been discredited but about a decade went by between the time he published the research and the time he was discredited, so the damage was long done. He is the one that all the anti-vax theorists cite. The Scientology agenda does dovetail neatly with his (incorrect) findings but I think this is coincidence. He came to this conclusion on his own after his own flawed and widely disseminated research.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2010, 4:10 pm

good points.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 9:55 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
zer0netagain, if you really think that there is a cover up about lack of safety in vaccines, I can just say: wow, just wow...

Explain how a batch of flu vaccine was contaminated with the actual virus...would have made thousands come down with the very disease it was meant to prevent. Made in the USA, missed by every QC check in place, and the gov did nothing to investigate how such a cluck-up could happen.

Sorry...seen too many horror stories from stuff rushed to market because of someone's profit motive.

Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 9:57 am

zer0netgain wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:

Explain how a batch of flu vaccine was contaminated with the actual virus...would have made thousands come down with the very disease it was meant to prevent. Made in the USA, missed by every QC check in place, and the gov did nothing to investigate how such a cluck-up could happen.

Sorry...seen too many horror stories from stuff rushed to market because of someone's profit motive.

Yeah, I got another horror story. Outbreak of virus we already have a vaccine for :roll:

Was not spoken of the soul.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 10:22 am

zer0netgain wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:

A good dose of caution on the matter is smart, IMO. We do the required vax's, but generally skip the flu ones. We're not in a high-risk group and, frankly, I haven't seen enough data supporting the actual effectiveness of it anyway.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 12:04 pm

Some of the folks who have attempted action against either legally required vaccinations or the drug companies who make the vaccines have autistic kids. They are naturally upset and some of them want to get some kind of compensation for their woe.

On the other hand, if vaccination were not required by law (in some cases) the land would be wracked by plague and disease. Thanks to vaccination, polio, for example, is now just an unpleasant memory. When I was a kid during the 40s and 50s every summer was the Summer of Dread. We were told by our parents stay out of the movie theaters, stay away from swimming pools and stays away from crowds. We lived in some fear (and justifiable so) of contracting polio. We had pictures of victims of polio on crutches or even worse, living in Iron Lungs, which are metal coffins for the not yet dead.

Thanks to vaccination, small pox is a thing of the past (not quite, since every major government stores the virus in their secret vaults). Vaccination has produced results which are -on balance- more beneficial than harmful.

ruveyn

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 12:43 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:

The issue is not a "cover up". The issue is that vaccines, and specifically the preservatives in vaccines, tend to be presumed safe until proven otherwise.

ruveyn wrote:
Vaccination has produced results which are -on balance- more beneficial than harmful.

That is most certainly true.

However, the success of vaccines against life threatening illnesses like smallpox does not mean that the plethora of vaccines on modern schedules, many of which guard only against minor illnesses, are all justified. When I asked about the long term effects of so many vaccines on a child's immune system when they become an adult, my child's pediatrician, who pushes us to use all the vaccines, had to admit, "we don't know, because most of them haven't been around 30 years yet."

The incidence of autoimmune diseases seems to be rising rapidly among younger people. I wouldn't rule out excessive vaccination as a cause.

Meanwhile, virtually no one under 40 is vaccinated against smallpox any more. You can bet that Al Qaeda is working as hard as they can to get their hands on some of the extant smallpox samples in medical laboratories around the world.

Crimsonfield
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Nov 2010, 1:00 pm

Don't know who started it, but it was Jenny McCarthy that popularized it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 2:01 pm

I wouldnt put anything past scientology, but what would their motive be for spreading this disinformation? (you probably said somewhere and I missed it).

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 2:11 pm

Not to prolong the debate, but I heard an autism awareness ad on the radio the other day, and I found it interesting. They detailed "normal" behavior that if lacking in a child could be an indication of autism...every one of them were enumerated long before 1.5 years of age.

I know there are a long list of "autism" cases where the kids exhibited no signs of autistic tendencies...appeared normal in every way, then after they get a battery of mandated vaccinations, the kid has a reaction and is never quite right...later gets a Dx of autism.

If the child was always autistic, it is not very credible that the child would be normal in every observable way then suddenly change. That indicates something happened from an outside (sic) source. I know there are many doctors who are not so much put off with the number of mandated vaccinations, but rather HOW SOON they are pushed onto children and how many at one time. I remember getting vaccinations as a child....once every now and then, but I was certainly a good sized child by the time I got the last of them. You got them in stages...with boosters to build the immunity.

When you look at the outright POISON they are allowed to put into common food and drink sold on the market...OTC meds that can actually cause organ failure when used for a prolonged period, etc. and sometimes outright attacks on older, proven meds and substances so they are demonized in favor of the latest chem that's been patented...I am very wary of any claim that comes from Big Pharma.

I believe in vaccinations, but I get them when I feel they can be trusted. I weigh the risk I face without it versus the benefit promised.

Keep in mind, while I know this sounds like conspiracy talk, I know there are many people who have been the victims of bio warfare experimentation...often in the military. People there can easily be lied to about what they are having injected into them, and they really aren't given the option to refuse the shot(s). One guy I worked with had no history of respiratory illness until he was in the Marine Corps. Got a series of shots for "pneumonia," and came down with it shortly later. Every year after that, he always had some level of pneumonia in the spring. When he got his medical records from the military, there were no entries for that time period when he and his unit were given those shots. Everything else was documented.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2010, 2:30 pm

I believe some of it is plausible, while probably not the medication itself (more likely the perservative added to the vaccine so it doesn't degrade), some kids could have a reaction and triggers certain genes that were dormant and the kid would have merely been carrying the genes otherwise.

I think the fear is largely overblown, and think some of the newer replacements could be far worse.