Since liberals "want to destroy the world"...

Page 5 of 8 [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 12:22 am

auntblabby wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Tollorin wrote:
In what instance do you see liberals as "wrong"?

They tend to be altruists. They see our greatest obligation as helping those in need.

nasty brutish and short got old well before button shoes. isn't it time that humanity moved forward towards something better?

Problem is liberals tend to become worse than the things they say they are against. You say you're for free speech, however in reality the liberals with power are only for free speech they agree with and want to silence anyone that disagrees with them.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 12:57 am

Inuyasha wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
The main danger from liberals is that they believe in the perfectibility of Mankind. That is what makes them dangerous.

dangerous only to the status quo.

Change just for the sake of change isn't a good thing.

disingenuity. change for the better for all people, not just those lucky few at the top.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 1:02 am

Inuyasha wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Tollorin wrote:

They tend to be altruists. They see our greatest obligation as helping those in need.

nasty brutish and short got old well before button shoes. isn't it time that humanity moved forward towards something better?

Problem is liberals tend to become worse than the things they say they are against. You say you're for free speech, however in reality the liberals with power are only for free speech they agree with and want to silence anyone that disagrees with them.

more disingenuity. more free speech is better except when it drowns out/blocks out others, such as with unlimited spending on political ads which sucks all the air out of the room for all the little people. if some rich bully [seriously, is there any other kind?] screws me over, i reserve the right to squawk about it. and money is not speech.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 2:11 am

Free speech is great - until you brand all speech you disagree with unamericanism or hate talk or offensive and kick it off the air.

Advertising in political campaigns [yes, I know it is all sales and proaganda, but that is how I feel] ought to be banned. For everybody.

Let the candidate say who he is and what he thinks and what he hopes to do - fine - but let's not brand them [except with a hot iron?]

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2010, 2:28 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Tollorin wrote:

more disingenuity. more free speech is better except when it drowns out/blocks out others, such as with unlimited spending on political ads which sucks all the air out of the room for all the little people. if some rich bully [seriously, is there any other kind?] screws me over, i reserve the right to squawk about it. and money is not speech.

I'm not the one being disingenious, you don't like listening to Rush, how about you just change the channel when he is on.

As I said the ones that want to take away people's rights are on the left not on the right.

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 7:14 am

i was speaking about british liberals, not american. but the same principle should apply.

think about what liberal and conservative actually mean.

and why the assumption that liberals are "leftist"?

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 8:24 am

Inuyasha wrote:
As I said the ones that want to take away people's rights are on the left not on the right.

Say that to peoples in Guatanamo. There is also the "Patriot Act".

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 8:53 am

Any group in power in any grouping of humans will soon or late abridge SOMEBODY's rights.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 12:25 pm

Tollorin wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

They weren't exactly picked up on the street in the US. They were mostly picked up on the battlefield in Afghanistan. It is the height of stupidity to bring them onto our shores what if there is a jail break. Would you want a bunch of psycho terrorists loose in the US.

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 12:27 pm

Tollorin wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_PATRIOT_Act

Passed with bipartisan approval(just to be clearer). Really it was kind of dumb considering the government already knew about the attack they didn't really need anymore power.

KissOfMarmaladeSky
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 4:56 pm

Liberals seem pretty misguided in their ways, as another person has already said. They know they want to change the world and all, but they don't really know if doing things in a newer way may be hurting America or not. The old definition of liberal actually helped others, but I don't believe in the current definition. Oh, and I'm unsure if I'm conservative or liberal, but I do have an interest in liberal arts, which would make me look odd if I'm a conservative, I guess...

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2010, 6:46 pm

The liberal in liberal arts, of course, has nothing to do with liberalism in politics, and neither has anything to do with liberality.

codarac
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 3:49 pm

Quartz11 wrote:
I recently seen in a couple posts here, and heard comments from my grandfather, about how liberals are destroying the country.

With that said, what then is the conservative of conservative ideal world? If there were no liberal ideas allowed to exist, what would you have left? Just curious.

Though I more often sympathize with conservatives than with liberals, this is becoming more difficult as time goes by, and I reject this idea that anyone who cannot be described as a liberal must therefore be a “conservative”. What if someone does not think there is much about the status quo worth conserving but does not agree with the liberal interpretation of what constitutes “progress” either?

What liberals call progress is often just social decay. I once read of liberals being described as a “biological type”, a type who tell themselves they are working towards the betterment of mankind but who in reality just want a society where people like themselves are “looked up to for their wisdom instead of despised for their puniness”. It’s one of the most accurate analyses of liberalism I’ve come across. It helps explain why liberalism is in practice an endless quest for ever more forms of degeneracy to glorify, for ever more normal, healthy attitudes to be offended by, and for ever more “oppressed” people to patronise.

Today’s conservatives meanwhile would be barely recognizable to the conservatives of a few decades ago, since they have adopted many of the attitudes that were, only a few decades ago, held solely by liberals and radical leftists. You might conclude that either they are not “real” conservatives, or (more likely) that constantly conceding ground to the opposition is an innate feature of conservatism itself, since its nature is inherently defensive. Conservatives will resist the demands from the liberal-left at first, but when the clamour becomes too loud, they will give in and then set about supposedly “conserving” the new status quo instead.

In practice, all that conservatives tend to succeed in “conserving” is their money. The sensible conservative support for concepts like self-reliance seems, for many self-described conservatives, to have given way to a sort of economic Darwinism and a belief that what is good is what is good for “business”. On social issues, whatever it is conservatives are supposed to conserve is constantly changing, which all too often leaves conservatism appearing incoherent. And so the sorry state of modern conservatism provides liberals with a feeling of superiority to which they are not really entitled.

At the same time the continued existence of people called “conservatives” means many liberals will refuse to acknowledge that, free market economics aside, their society (be it Britain, America or practically anywhere else in the West) has been moving almost constantly in a left-liberal direction for decades. This is surely either a tactical decision or an indictment of liberals’ lack of awareness. Really, the sight of liberals treating “opponents” who are only a few degrees less left-liberal than themselves as if they were the second coming of the KKK never ceases to amaze me.

Well, I probably haven’t answered the question, but here seems as good a place as any to describe my thoughts vis-a-vís liberalism vs conservatism.

CharlieInTheBox
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Dec 2010, 11:23 pm

The whole liberal versus conservative thing is a false dichotomy. They fight about some things, pretend to fight about others, pretend there are only two sides to anything, and privately make all kinds of deals. They hope we are too busy watching "reality TV" to notice what they are really doing, and their hopes are well placed.

It's sad to see people so totally controlled by their TV that they believe every bit of what they are told by the false "side" that they are on. As if there are only two sides! As if a person must be religious to be a fiscal conservative, or that thinking the war on drugs is a horrible waste of our childrens money that has put more nonviolent Americans into jail than any other developed country means a person is "a liberal" and is pro-gun-control.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 12:29 am

@ CharlieInTheBox

The Social Conservatism justifies the fiscal conservatism by saying that it is a person's responsibility for their own behavior Government isn't their nanny.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2010, 12:39 am

Inuyasha wrote:
@ CharlieInTheBox

The Social Conservatism justifies the fiscal conservatism by saying that it is a person's responsibility for their own behavior Government isn't their nanny.
That makes sense but isn't the difffernece between social and fiscal is that fiscal is strictly a small government and personal responsibility thing while social conservatism considers social norms within the government's jurisdiction? The opposition to gay marriage, marijuana, etc. seems to be more of an enforcement of social norms than founded on the principles of personal responsibility and small government. The abortion issue does go both ways, as it can be either considered to be an infringement on the baby's right to live and therefore warranting government intervention, or it can simply be a religious issue.