Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 2:04 am

please direct your browser to http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/index.htm and read up on your favorite topics listed as they a re discussed in various religious texts.

You see how sick, evil and twisted they sound?

For example, "To him that smote Egypt in their first born: for his mercy endures forever." (this is the passage about how god's final curse on the Egyptians was to kill the first born sons of the Egyptians. Children, infants, adolescents. All perfectly innocent except that they were born as the son of an Egyptian. Does that sound fair to you? Does that sound like an all-loving, merciful god to you?

Sounds cruel, vindictive and heartless to me.

And to wager against the devil over a man's family, livelihood and health? That's just twisted.

Oh, what about people whose children are dying agonizing deaths because of some disease that's ravaging their brain or intestines or liver? The parents pray to god asking if he/it would spare their child.

Look, if you have to get down on your knees and beg someone to make their child healthy...pray to an omnipotent being who, without having to lift a finger could cure the child and send him home to his loving family.

Let me tell you, if I were omnipotent, you wouldn't have to pray or worship me for me to cure your child's like. Hell, I'd even cure your grandmother!

But I can hear the faithful now: They're saying, "god works in mysterious ways". Yeah, by making people suffer needlessly.

God, if he's up there is a sick, twisted, evil son of a b***h unworthy of your devotion and benediction.

People figure out there's no Santa Claus at a very young age. Why must god be any different? Can't people say to themselves, "this makes no FING sense"? and stop worshiping an imaginary figure?

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 2:20 am

Some people do.

And some people start out with no sense of a divine entity and come across things that convince them there is such a thing.

And what, pray tell, is it to you?

Why does it bother you that I am a compulsive taxonomist, enjoy Spam [yes, I do - so?], love Bach and Andean folkmusic but have to stay away from the Andean stuff, get sick if I eat mayonnaise and believe in a divine entity?

I don't know your list - but am I complaining that you are into reggae [if you are] and believe in school uniforms [if you do]?

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 3:14 am

You can't argue with faith, MasterJedi... 8)

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 4:05 am

God kept "hardening the Pharaoh's heart" so that he could whack him again.

After the country was all but destroyed and the Pharaoh said "go already" God hardened the Pharaoh's heart one more time so that he could destroy his army.

In a later passage Moses said to God "Gee, why did you do that?"

And God said something like "So I could show the world how powerful I am and what sport I could have with the Pharaoh"

Now if God is the only god and he loves us all then why didn't he just appear before the Pharaoh and tell him what he wanted?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 5:08 am

Wombat wrote:
God kept "hardening the Pharaoh's heart" so that he could whack him again.

After the country was all but destroyed and the Pharaoh said "go already" God hardened the Pharaoh's heart one more time so that he could destroy his army.

In a later passage Moses said to God "Gee, why did you do that?"

And God said something like "So I could show the world how powerful I am and what sport I could have with the Pharaoh"

Now if God is the only god and he loves us all then why didn't he just appear before the Pharaoh and tell him what he wanted?

Because the Pharaoh wasn't Jewish.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 8:53 am

Vigilans wrote:

You can ARGUE with anything - people do.

You can DISCUSS with an actively questioning mind - which however is rare in humanity, I find, whether among True Believers, True Unbelievers, True Progressives, True Deconstructionists, True Freudians, True Libertarians or anywhere else. Though we exist.

But "your position is so bloody STOOPID" is not discussion.

[and the issue of divine entity existence I have already stated I will NOT discuss here save via private message, though I will happily discuss such issues as the Filioque, the relationship of Christianity and Bahaiism, the existence and nature of angels, or other topics that anyone - unlikely though it seems - might be interested in discussing - contrast dissing.]

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 9:52 am

Philologos wrote:
Some people do.

And some people start out with no sense of a divine entity and come across things that convince them there is such a thing.

And what, pray tell, is it to you?

Why does it bother you that I am a compulsive taxonomist, enjoy Spam [yes, I do - so?], love Bach and Andean folkmusic but have to stay away from the Andean stuff, get sick if I eat mayonnaise and believe in a divine entity?

I don't know your list - but am I complaining that you are into reggae [if you are] and believe in school uniforms [if you do]?

WTF? Dood, if you don't have something useful or sane to contribute...

"You can't argue with faith..."

A challenge! Here we go...

Confronted with outright lies, contradictions and stuff that doesn't make sense, you still think that there are invisible, all-knowing, all-powerful entities out there? If the church says the world is 6,000 years old but we have irrefutable PROOF that the earth has been here for 4 and a half BILLION years, you still want to believe?

Why is it that the faithful always come back with "nuh-uh!" when pointing out evil goings on in the bible? I'm talking about male/female disparity, attitudes toward slavery and the brutal way children should be treated and handled.. The words are there for all to read (see link above) but the faithful refuse to accept that it's a work of FICTION!

Religion has been the single biggest cause of wars, destruction and death than anything else since humans have been around. "This land is ours by command of GOD! We'll slay those who disagree with us! Arrrgh! BLOOD for GOD! KILL IN HIS NAME!""

Religious belief should be considered a mental illness.

Tell me who I should love and how I should treat my wife and child, will ya? F YOU!

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 10:14 am

"A challenge! Here we go...

Confronted with outright lies, contradictions and stuff that doesn't make sense, you still think that there are invisible, all-knowing, all-powerful entities out there? If the church says the world is 6,000 years old but we have irrefutable PROOF that the earth has been here for 4 and a half BILLION years, you still want to believe?"

A. lies - which are??

B. contradictions galore there are, yes.

C. doesn't make sense - do you mean doesn't make sense to ME, or doesn't make sense to YOU? There are things that do not make sense to me but I very much doubt your sense of "sense" is the same as mine.

D. You have not the slightest idea what I believe or where I got it from. The church says the world is 6.000 years old? Which church is that - there are a slew that disagree with one another on many issues. And pulleeze to not say "irrefutable proof" to someone with as long a history with academics as I have.

"Why is it that the faithful always come back with "nuh-uh!" when pointing out evil goings on in the bible? I'm talking about male/female disparity, attitudes toward slavery and the brutal way children should be treated and handled.. The words are there for all to read (see link above) but the faithful refuse to accept that it's a work of FICTION!"

Have I said ONE word about evil goings on in the bible? Have I even mentioned male/female disparity, attitudes toward slavery and the brutal way children should be treated and handled in clearly non-Christian soceties? I can read the bible without a link and I read it as an atheist quite possibly before you were born. Do YOU know the bible - that it is not one book, that it contains lots of different things including poetry and fiction but also lawcodes and history?

"Religion has been the single biggest cause of wars, destruction and death than anything else since humans have been around. "This land is ours by command of GOD! We'll slay those who disagree with us! Arrrgh! BLOOD for GOD! KILL IN HIS NAME!""

Please go check out history. The conquests of Persia, Rome, Turks, Mongols [to name a few], Vandals, Huns, the French and American and Russian revolutions, the American and Spanish civil wars, WW I, WW II, the Vietnam action - all religious? My my my. That is not even counting wars I don't know about.

And if the Moors are moving into France and Charles blocks them - is that really religion or land grabbing?

"Religious belief should be considered a mental illness."

Some do so consider it. Maybe even some psych professionals. I did not quite catch where you did your degree.

"Tell me who I should love and how I should treat my wife and child, will ya? F YOU!"

In the name of Sand [you clearly do not know any God of mine, but you talk like one of his spiritual children], SHOW ME when and where I uttered the first syllable about whom you should love? You might try finding out who people are before you hate them, though - intolerance is not a positive trait, though common among you fundamentalists.

As for your wife and child - if you have such - if I saw you treating them in certain sways I consider criminal I might call the authorities. But so far I have not - again - said word 1.

So I will ask gently - why not spit poison at whoever abused you and warped your psyche, instead of a [really not all that perfect] stranger?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 10:37 am

Philologos wrote:

Confronted with outright lies, contradictions and stuff that doesn't make sense, you still think that there are invisible, all-knowing, all-powerful entities out there? If the church says the world is 6,000 years old but we have irrefutable PROOF that the earth has been here for 4 and a half BILLION years, you still want to believe?"

A. lies - which are??

C. doesn't make sense - do you mean doesn't make sense to ME, or doesn't make sense to YOU? There are things that do not make sense to me but I very much doubt your sense of "sense" is the same as mine.

D. You have not the slightest idea what I believe or where I got it from. The church says the world is 6.000 years old? Which church is that - there are a slew that disagree with one another on many issues. And pulleeze to not say "irrefutable proof" to someone with as long a history with academics as I have.

"Why is it that the faithful always come back with "nuh-uh!" when pointing out evil goings on in the bible? I'm talking about male/female disparity, attitudes toward slavery and the brutal way children should be treated and handled.. The words are there for all to read (see link above) but the faithful refuse to accept that it's a work of FICTION!"

Have I said ONE word about evil goings on in the bible? Have I even mentioned male/female disparity, attitudes toward slavery and the brutal way children should be treated and handled in clearly non-Christian soceties? I can read the bible without a link and I read it as an atheist quite possibly before you were born. Do YOU know the bible - that it is not one book, that it contains lots of different things including poetry and fiction but also lawcodes and history?

"Religion has been the single biggest cause of wars, destruction and death than anything else since humans have been around. "This land is ours by command of GOD! We'll slay those who disagree with us! Arrrgh! BLOOD for GOD! KILL IN HIS NAME!""

Please go check out history. The conquests of Persia, Rome, Turks, Mongols [to name a few], Vandals, Huns, the French and American and Russian revolutions, the American and Spanish civil wars, WW I, WW II, the Vietnam action - all religious? My my my. That is not even counting wars I don't know about.

And if the Moors are moving into France and Charles blocks them - is that really religion or land grabbing?

Some do so consider it. Maybe even some psych professionals. I did not quite catch where you did your degree.

"Tell me who I should love and how I should treat my wife and child, will ya? F YOU!"

In the name of Sand [you clearly do not know any God of mine, but you talk like one of his spiritual children], SHOW ME when and where I uttered the first syllable about whom you should love? You might try finding out who people are before you hate them, though - intolerance is not a positive trait, though common among you fundamentalists.

As for your wife and child - if you have such - if I saw you treating them in certain sways I consider criminal I might call the authorities. But so far I have not - again - said word 1.

So I will ask gently - why not spit poison at whoever abused you and warped your psyche, instead of a [really not all that perfect] stranger?

Since when have I become a deity? Np halo, no wings, no thunderbolts? Don't I get something out of this?

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 10:39 am

Philologos wrote:

A. lies - which are?? remember the earth being 6,000 years old? Yeah, stuff like that

C. doesn't make sense - do you mean doesn't make sense to ME, or doesn't make sense to YOU? There are things that do not make sense to me but I very much doubt your sense of "sense" is the same as mine. So, stuff can be contradictory and still make sense?

D. You have not the slightest idea what I believe or where I got it from. The church says the world is 6.000 years old? Which church is that - there are a slew that disagree with one another on many issues. And pulleeze to not say "irrefutable proof" to someone with as long a history with academics as I have. Know your own history: http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/ussher.htm atheists can't be telling you your history to remind you of the idiocy of it all

Have I said ONE word about evil goings on in the bible? Have I even mentioned male/female disparity, attitudes toward slavery and the brutal way children should be treated and handled in clearly non-Christian soceties? I can read the bible without a link and I read it as an atheist quite possibly before you were born. Do YOU know the bible - that it is not one book, that it contains lots of different things including poetry and fiction but also lawcodes and history? Not all about you. Talking about the bible. Sure, YOU might not be a racist or misogynist but the bile tells you to be

Please go check out history. The conquests of Persia, Rome, Turks, Mongols [to name a few], Vandals, Huns, the French and American and Russian revolutions, the American and Spanish civil wars, WW I, WW II, the Vietnam action - all religious? My my my. That is not even counting wars I don't know about. It's all about religion. Our god is better than yours, God commanded us to take this land and convert your people... American Revolution - King George and those who preceded him believed they were the chosen of god. Russian Jews were threatened with an ultimatum: convert to Russian Orthodoxy (the state religion), or be expelled from Russia entirely. Civil War - the white man believed in the bible and what it taught so strongly that they forced their slaves to work for them thinking they were lesser (according to the bible. Again see link above and look up slavery) Need I continue? You're probably not reading this at all or if you are, rolling your eyes at FACTS.

And if the Moors are moving into France and Charles blocks them - is that really religion or land grabbing? Land grabbing - for god.

Some do so consider it. Maybe even some psych professionals. I did not quite catch where you did your degree. Belief in make believe beings that you can't see and talking to yourself?

In the name of Sand [you clearly do not know any God of mine, but you talk like one of his spiritual children], SHOW ME when and where I uttered the first syllable about whom you should love? You might try finding out who people are before you hate them, though - intolerance is not a positive trait, though common among you fundamentalists. Again, not all about you. YOU may not have said anything about it but your "good book" has See link above, look up children, women and homosexuality.

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 10:51 am

Oh yeah, and remember how the criminal pedophile protector/harborer Ratzinger didn't want people to use condoms to prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS?

Yeah...

you're probably going to take that personally too. "I didn't say anyone couldn't wear condoms..."

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 11:37 am

Philologos wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

You can ARGUE with anything - people do.

You can DISCUSS with an actively questioning mind - which however is rare in humanity, I find, whether among True Believers, True Unbelievers, True Progressives, True Deconstructionists, True Freudians, True Libertarians or anywhere else. Though we exist.

But "your position is so bloody STOOPID" is not discussion.

[and the issue of divine entity existence I have already stated I will NOT discuss here save via private message, though I will happily discuss such issues as the Filioque, the relationship of Christianity and Bahaiism, the existence and nature of angels, or other topics that anyone - unlikely though it seems - might be interested in discussing - contrast dissing.]

You can't argue with faith, faith involves making up your mind with just a small part of the picture. What does it matter what anyone else says at that point? Btw I don't have anything against anyone so don't take that the wrong way I'm not a militant atheist or anything

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 12:41 pm

MasterJedi wrote:
Oh yeah, and remember how the criminal pedophile protector/harborer Ratzinger didn't want people to use condoms to prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS?

Yeah...

you're probably going to take that personally too. "I didn't say anyone couldn't wear condoms..."

So - because you do not agree with the policies of the Roman Catholic church - with which I am not affiliated nor ever have been - and/or appreciate Pope Benedict, who IS affiliated with the Church of Rome and whom I tend to respect but who has not consulted with me on policy - it is your opinion that I am in the wronng because I respond - when you throw bombs at all Christians and indeed all followers of Bible badsed religions - by saying don't aim your spray my way?

Well, we have seen such logic here.

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 1:57 pm

let's say were' on a playing field. I'm A, you're C. You say you must destroy me and the evil I represent (I'm not thinking about any one person in particular. Okay, the pops shall we say.

I'm given the tools of science to win the battle.

You use prayer and faith.

Who will win?

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 2:03 pm

I am sorry - using the tools of science at my disposal I am unable to see any coherent pattern in your postings except for an unexplained need to eliminate the religious instincts which keep cropping up in humanity.

I am going to shift to prayer.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2010, 6:44 pm

Philologos wrote:
I am sorry - using the tools of science at my disposal I am unable to see any coherent pattern in your postings except for an unexplained need to eliminate the religious instincts which keep cropping up in humanity.

I am going to shift to prayer.

I have not nor ever had religious instincts. It is an unwarranted assumption that this infectious mental disease we label religion be implied as some sort of unavoidable genetic product. There are, of course, other destructive social forces but religion is frequently one of those least necessary to provide a decent social environment. History has demonstrated time and again how religious organizations have utilized their influence to subdue and control populations in favor of the politically and economically powerful elite and unfairly distribute the wealth of the world. That the fundamentally nonsensical proposed bases of religious faith of a belief in a mythical controlling superbeing and an afterlife is put forth as reality is an insult to the potential intelligence of humanity and an obstruction to the accomplishments of safety and security and rational use of the world's wealth and health of its population.