anarchism, individualism, peaceful coexistance

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2010, 9:28 pm

Kon wrote:
rocknrollslc wrote:
i don't live in a squat or spend all my energy trying to dismantle society, i have a deep moral and ethical respect for individualist anarchism. yeah, i know: human nature gets in the way; and no i don't have everything laid out perfectly - but if people overcame human nature via intelligence and treated their fellow man with respect and kindness, i think we'd be on our way to a just and peaceful world, free of greed and manipulation. ahh happy thoughts... anyone else?

I think, in theory, individualist anarchism sounds great but in the real world, the effect will be quite different. I hate the state and governments (public tyranny). But if you limit that system a far worse one will take it's place: private tyranny. That's why I kinda feel like I'm forced to be more supportive of voluntary collective (social) anarchism even though I'd probably hate being part of any collective (society).

In the real world, you get Somalia.

ruveyn

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2010, 7:05 am

Kon wrote:
rocknrollslc wrote:
i don't live in a squat or spend all my energy trying to dismantle society, i have a deep moral and ethical respect for individualist anarchism. yeah, i know: human nature gets in the way; and no i don't have everything laid out perfectly - but if people overcame human nature via intelligence and treated their fellow man with respect and kindness, i think we'd be on our way to a just and peaceful world, free of greed and manipulation. ahh happy thoughts... anyone else?

I think, in theory, individualist anarchism sounds great but in the real world, the effect will be quite different. I hate the state and governments (public tyranny). But if you limit that system a far worse one will take it's place: private tyranny. That's why I kinda feel like I'm forced to be more supportive of voluntary collective (social) anarchism even though I'd probably hate being part of any collective (society).

I concur. That's why i respect the sincerely held beliefs of someone like Ron Paul but would never ever vote for them. Their economic policies have already been tried under Pinochet in Chile. The fact that you need a Fascist dictator installed to get away with something like said says alot to me. They're two sides of the same coin.

SuperApsie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Dec 2010, 9:16 am

Of course anarchy in the current state of society would be catastrophic. The question that raises is: what mechanisms would turn it into a catastrophe?

Not so long ago, most of humanity did not questioned the role of the king and his fundamental role to keep society functioning. I see a light on the tunnel (but far far away)

Banned_Magnus
Raven
Raven

16 Dec 2010, 12:19 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kon wrote:
rocknrollslc wrote:

ruveyn

Somalia used to be a beautiful culture. Let's not forget that.

Quote:
Ancient pyramidical structures, tombs, ruined cities and stone walls such as the Wargaade Wall littered in Somalia are evidence of an ancient sophisticated civilization that once thrived in the Somali peninsula.[6] The findings of archaeological excavations and research in Somalia show that this ancient civilization had had an ancient writing system that remains undeciphered[7] and enjoyed a lucrative trading relationship with Ancient Egypt and Mycenean Greece since at least the second millennium BC, which supports the view of Somalia being the ancient Kingdom of Punt. The Puntites "traded not only in their own produce of incense, ebony and short-horned cattle, but also in goods from other neighbouring regions, including gold, ivory and animal skins."[8] According to the temple reliefs at Deir el-Bahari, the Land of Punt was ruled at that time by King Parahu and Queen Ati.[9]

Ancient Somalis domesticated the camel somewhere between the third millennium and second millennium BC from where it spread to Ancient Egypt and North Africa.[10] In the classical period, the city states of Mosylon, Opone, Malao, Sarapion, Mundus, and Tabae in Somalia developed a lucrative trade network connecting with merchants from Phoenicia, Ptolemic Egypt, Greece, Parthian Persia, Saba, Nabataea and the Roman Empire. They used the ancient Somali maritime vessel known as the beden to transport their cargo. After the Roman conquest of the Nabataean Empire and the Roman naval presence at Aden to curb piracy, Arab merchants barred Indian merchants from trading in the free port cities of the Arabian peninsula because of the nearby Roman presence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Somalia

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2010, 2:27 pm

Historically, you pay protection to YOUR gangsters.

rocknrollslc
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 2:16 am

great quote -

“anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others.” -edward abbey

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 8:05 pm

rocknrollslc wrote:
great quote -

“anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others.” -edward abbey

That is a great quote. Can you expand on some of the political problems you have with social anarchism for me please? :D

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2010, 8:08 pm

Philologos wrote:
Historically, you pay protection to YOUR gangsters.

It works the same today but on a much grander scale. The corps bribe the two american parties with campaign money and then these establish new markets for business via the use of force in other states.

Omerik
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Dec 2010, 9:01 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Banned_Magnus wrote:
I think that the key to attaining a peaceful coexistence is through finding beauty in everything. Find beauty in stupidity, greed, corruption, and lies. I doubt that people will ever be intelligent enough to establish harmony and cooperation. Even if they do become wise, I doubt they will ever be honest enough to not try to get one over on each other all the time. But, maybe through showing love and having lots and lots of (consensual) sex, people might become more happy and stop being such as*holes to each other.

In the mean time, how do you keep the gangsters and bullies from eating your lunch?

ruveyn

Who keeps them from doing so right now? The police are afraid of gangsters where I live. The cops basically do nothing but harrassing people who smoke hash.

Violence doesn't emerge because a lack of discipline. As far as I know, the places with the most severe punishments aren't exactly the most peaceful.

If those people who are violent are intrinsically bad and nothing can change that, how do you explain the statistics showing the large percentage of men who admitted rape in South Africa? Are there more intrinsically bad people there, or is there also a large percentage of men in other place who would really like to be rapists, but aren't because of the law? Many things contribute to violence and egoism, I highly doubt that lack of authority is one of them.

Besides, I don't want a society where parents don't rape their kids because otherwise they would go to jail. The problem is not the act itself, the problem when a father rapes his daughter is that he wants to do so in the first place. If he avoids this simply because of the law, then he is still an awful father. And bullies are bullies even when they are "disciplined". Their attitude remains the same, if they aren't "rehabilitated" in some way. Just like Anarchists stay peaceful even in an Anarchy... It's not about laws.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

17 Dec 2010, 9:28 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kon wrote:
rocknrollslc wrote:

ruveyn

Somalia is way better off now with essentially no central government than when they had a communist dictatorship.

rocknrollslc
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2010, 2:40 am

jamieboy wrote:
rocknrollslc wrote:
great quote -

That is a great quote. Can you expand on some of the political problems you have with social anarchism for me please? :D

i'll do my best. more than this thread is about politics for me, it's about peace; and anarchism best reflects that in my mind. it's not that i don't have a car of my own, a place to live, or $. i think we should treat our fellow man the way we wish to be treated - human time is running out. obviously, there are those who disagree and wish to take it all; if anarchism replaced capitalism overnight, the problems in such a created system would include verbal violence, stupidity, thievery, violence, murder, rape, burglary, etc. but if people would, somehow or another, and not by means of outer force, stop treating one another like s*** and really get a grip - i believe quality of life would improve greatly (and the need for laws and restrictions would decrease).

EnglishLulu
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2010, 2:37 am

rocknrollslc wrote:
jamieboy wrote:
rocknrollslc wrote:
great quote -

i'll do my best. more than this thread is about politics for me, it's about peace; and anarchism best reflects that in my mind. it's not that i don't have a car of my own, a place to live, or $. i think we should treat our fellow man the way we wish to be treated - human time is running out. obviously, there are those who disagree and wish to take it all; if anarchism replaced capitalism overnight, the problems in such a created system would include verbal violence, stupidity, thievery, violence, murder, rape, burglary, etc. but if people would, somehow or another, and not by means of outer force, stop treating one another like s*** and really get a grip - i believe quality of life would improve greatly (and the need for laws and restrictions would decrease).
Are you arguing in favour of anarchism though? Or humanitarianism?

VILESK8
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

19 Dec 2010, 1:09 pm

Personally, I would prefer a Theocracy, but if that's not possible (not everyone is consenting), I think the next best thing is to have a democracy (in which there still is a lot of force of making you do things - sacrificing freedom). In a way I agree with the anarchism statements about governing self. I think that's part of Freedom, to be allowed to make choices of your own. I think it's not right to seek power for the intent of tyranny. But I also think it's important to uphold good leaders. Even an Anarchist society will have leaders, it's a natural thing. Christ taught it this way:

Matt 20:25-28
But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them.
But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister;
And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant:
Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

That's the key, to let them. Let them be your minister or let them be your servant. Let people serve each other in ways they see fit. If it takes an election to secure that, so be it.

When Joseph Smith was asked how he was able to govern the people of the church, he had this to say:
"I teach them correct principles and they govern themselves." -Joseph Smith

But I say, whatever is the most peaceful is the most correct form of government.

Kon
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2010, 2:20 pm

In principle, there are people who understand a lot better than myself (i.e. teachers analogy) how society should be organized for both individual liberty and society in general. And when I say individual liberty, it means providing as much liberty as possible to the most number of people. In a dictatorship/statist (vanguard party) system, the ruler/party member has a lot of individual liberty but the rest of society is screwed. In a capitalist system, if you are rich you have a lot of individual liberty; if not, you're screwed. It's not possible for everybody to be rich. For someone to be rich, somebody has to be poor, I think?.

I agree about the teacher analogy but the problem is you have a lot of teachers that end up preaching/teaching too much and not listening enough. A teacher-student relationship should be a two-way street because eventually a student may come to know more than the teacher. Moreover, society is way too complex (with many individual differences) to be run fully by a teachers/leaders. Leaders should function only as kinda of mediators/advocates of overall public views, I think? Unfortunately, most leaders only represent the wishes of those who control the wealth.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2010, 5:48 pm

Banned_Magnus wrote:

Somalia used to be a beautiful culture. Let's not forget that.

How many thousands of years ago?

Somalia has been a hell hole for the last part of the 20 th century and the first ten years of this one.

ruveyn