Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2010, 1:02 pm

$11,000,000 Christmas Tree (2010) - United Arab Emirates - Current world culture and non-profit religious values - Is $11,000,000 a little too much to spend on a Christmas tree? Abu Dubai Hotel, United Arab Emirates (UAE)(2010) - true story. Too high, too low, just about the right price for a good looking Christmas tree? Would spending this kind of cash be ok for Daystar Christian TV or the Pope of Italy or Pat Robertson/the 700 Club or the Barack Obama White House Christmas Tree but not the United Arab Emirates (Islam)? What would Jesus say? What would the Three Kings who visited Jesus who gave Jesus gold (also frankincense and myrrh but no stock certificates) for his birthday (source: the Bible) say? X-reference: Christmas song titled "The Little Drummer Boy". Also, meaning of the term: the Haves vs the Have-Nots? (year 2010)? The true meaning of Christmas is m o n e y, not Jesus? (year 2010)?

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2010, 1:32 pm

I actually don't mind. It probably isn't going to cost $11 million to put the ornaments up year after year (or repairing or replacing damaged ornaments). I think $11 million is way overboard, but if a hotel wants to spend their own money on it, more power to them.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2010, 1:42 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aharq3PFX54[/youtube]

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

ChrisVulcan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2010, 4:30 pm

That seems like an odd thing to find in the United Arab Emirates.

Watch Doctor Who!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 1:53 am

that much moolah could do a lot of good for a lot of people. sheesh.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 1:26 pm

auntblabby wrote:

So you're proposing stealing money from them at gunpoint... :roll: It is their money, it is not your money.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 1:28 pm

Sounds like I should get into the overpriced Christmas tree business... :D

number5
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 1:46 pm

WWJD? I'm pretty sure this sort of obscene opulence is the exact opposite of what JC had in mind. "Christian" hypocrisy at its finest.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 1:52 pm

number5 wrote:
WWJD? I'm pretty sure this sort of obscene opulence is the exact opposite of what JC had in mind. "Christian" hypocrisy at its finest.

Firstly, it's a hotel in the UAE that purchased the tree, so not likely Christians.

Secondly, Christmas is just barely even considered a Christian holiday these days, and they ripped it off from the Pagans in the first place.

Thirdly, a bunch of tree farmers and craftsmen are suddenly a lot better off, I don't see the problem in paying highly skilled workers appropriately for their expertise.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 2:13 pm

Dox47 wrote:
number5 wrote:

Firstly, it's a hotel in the UAE that purchased the tree, so not likely Christians.

Secondly, Christmas is just barely even considered a Christian holiday these days, and they ripped it off from the Pagans in the first place.

Thirdly, a bunch of tree farmers and craftsmen are suddenly a lot better off, I don't see the problem in paying highly skilled workers appropriately for their expertise.

I totally agree that Christmas is barely even a Christian holiday, but shouldn't Christians have at least a small problem with what it's become? Shouldn't Christians be offended by those who worship money over meaning? I think Jesus would much prefer the Charlie Brown tree over this monstrosity.

And it's not tree farmers and craftsmen that benefited financially or otherwise from this display. It was the jewelers who draped the tree in gold, diamonds, and other precious stones. How many blood diamonds do you suppose are on there?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 2:35 pm

number5 wrote:
And it's not tree farmers and craftsmen that benefited financially or otherwise from this display. It was the jewelers who draped the tree in gold, diamonds, and other precious stones. How many blood diamonds do you suppose are on there?

Jewelers aren't skilled craftsmen?

Also, the blood diamond thing is pure speculation, and hypocritical if you drive or in any way benefit from ICE powered vehicles, since all of them run on "conflict oil" (don't even get me started if you use a cell phone). Betcha never thought of it that way, huh? :lol:

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 2:37 pm

Curiously my wife and I were discussing this issue [well, a close to tangent issue yesterday.

Saying we would we a whole lot better off if the other side had won and Christmas celebrations [aside from liturgical commemoration] banned by the church.

Then Hallmark would be selling Hogmanay cards and the shops pushing solstice presents and the carols of Christmas would not be debased by Frosty and Rudolph and just maybe we could HAVE Christmas back [I would also like the words "gay" and "he" restored to their useful roles in the English language].

Check out where nearly all the Holiday Tree ornaments are made, and what they represent. You claim we stole a pagan holiday? No way - the pagans ripped US off.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 3:58 pm

Dox47 wrote:
number5 wrote:

Jewelers aren't skilled craftsmen?

Also, the blood diamond thing is pure speculation, and hypocritical if you drive or in any way benefit from ICE powered vehicles, since all of them run on "conflict oil" (don't even get me started if you use a cell phone). Betcha never thought of it that way, huh? :lol:

That's a rather false equivalent. Cars and phones have utility. A more appropriate equivalent would be if someone to were to make a gigantic oil fountain, to the tune of $11 million, to celebrate _(fill in any religious holiday).

Besides, my point was that I believe Jesus would offended by such a display.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 10:14 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

So you're proposing stealing money from them at gunpoint... :roll: It is their money, it is not your money.

what is the matter with you? i said nor implied no such thing. i only said that it was a shame that they could not have seen the benefit of helping other human beings with their god-given largesse. you should have been able to understand this, but i guess i should not expect so much from you. you see larceny in me because there is larceny in you. more of your pot calling my kettle black.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 11:52 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

what is the matter with you? i said nor implied no such thing. i only said that it was a shame that they could not have seen the benefit of helping other human beings with their god-given largesse. you should have been able to understand this, but i guess i should not expect so much from you. you see larceny in me because there is larceny in you. more of your pot calling my kettle black.

:roll:

First this gave a lot of skilled people jobs cause those aren't the kind of things that can be churned out by machines, it takes skilled craftmen, not little children in some 3rd world country being used as slave labor. If a hotel wants to spend money on something like this, more power to them. They could have spent the money on strippers and prostitutes... :roll:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 11:55 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
They could have spent the money on strippers and prostitutes... :roll:

:roll: just what do you have against strippers and prostitutes, anyway?