Page 3 of 27 [ 418 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 27  Next

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 10:20 pm

Wow, lets hope he doesn't have a kid cousin.(that would be a dangerous thing to say in Kansas)

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 10:39 pm

Why? KaNSAS, KID, OR COUSIN?

Craig28
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 10:42 pm

There are laws against paedophilla because the citizenry demands it. They've got it into their heads that kiddie fiddling is immoral and unethical, and so governments listen up to what they say about this subject.

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 10:52 pm

Philologos wrote:
Why? KaNSAS, KID, OR COUSIN?

He made a reference concerning a relative child being abused by some strange man. Sometimes Kansans get a bit unreasonable about such things.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 10:56 pm

Craig28 wrote:
There are laws against paedophilla because the citizenry demands it. They've got it into their heads that kiddie fiddling is immoral and unethical, and so governments listen up to what they say about this subject.

Uh you make it sound like you disapprove of the fact that there are laws protecting children from sexual molestation.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2011, 11:31 pm

Philologos wrote:
But ultimately arbitrary - I know a guy a year older as me what his level of psychosexual maturity - nuff said.
I don't think it is arbitrary at all.

It is generally true that an older person will usually have more sexual maturity than a younger person. In situations with 1/2/3 years of distance it is not always true, but with 5 or 10 years it is usually true save exceptions that come from extremes.

claudia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jan 2011, 7:15 am

naturalplastic wrote:
As b9 says Why are you asking the question?

you're argument against such laws actually works the other way.
You told us that all cultures have somekind of 'age of consent' - they may differ on the exact age but youve demonstrated that the general concept is universal- thus proving the exact opposite of what you're trying to prove which is that the concept is arbitrary.

But why are you trying to prove it anyway?

I get that you said that its not because you wanna have sex with minors. So then why?

People on the spectrum are really open-minded and polite. They ask why. I say you should feel ashamed.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 7:56 am

claudia wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

You told us that all cultures have somekind of 'age of consent' - they may differ on the exact age but youve demonstrated that the general concept is universal- thus proving the exact opposite of what you're trying to prove which is that the concept is arbitrary.

I get that you said that its not because you wanna have sex with minors. So then why?

People on the spectrum are really open-minded and polite. They ask why. I say you should feel ashamed.

what are you saying?
me, natural plastic and the OP each asked a question.

the OP asked his question as to "why" there are laws against pedophilia.

my question was "why" the OP asked his question

and natural plastics question was "why" the OP was trying to prove that concepts of pedophilia are arbitrary.

we all asked "why", so who of us are you saying should be ashamed?

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 8:01 am

She says the OP should be ashamed, not you.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 8:10 am

Sallamandrina wrote:
She says the OP should be ashamed, not you.

how can you determine that? i can not make clear sense of what she wrote.

i believe you but i can not see it for myself.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 8:15 am

I speak "NT" - she reacts as most people would, thinking the original post doesn't deserve inquiry since it's so deliberately obtuse. Taking a look at the rest of this guy's posts, I'd say she's right and he's just trying to get a rise out of people with tasteless drivel any way.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 8:53 am

Sallamandrina wrote:
I speak "NT"
i am sorry i do not understand.

Sallamandrina wrote:
- she reacts as most people would, thinking the original post doesn't deserve inquiry since it's so deliberately obtuse.

was the original post obtuse? i thought it was acute (deliberately focused on an angle) to a degree.
the too-ing and fro-ing of natural banter leaves me stranded i am afraid.
god i have no idea so sue me.

Sallamandrina wrote:
Taking a look at the rest of this guy's posts, I'd say she's right and he's just trying to get a rise out of people with tasteless drivel any way.

i suppose you are correct but i do not follow anyone on this site and there are few names i am familiar with because i just say what i say and i do not care who it is that i am saying it to.

all is well. i do not know how you knew that the roman woman was referring to the OP, but i have little investment in the matter anyway.

over and out

claudia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jan 2011, 9:35 am

b9 wrote:
claudia wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

what are you saying?
me, natural plastic and the OP each asked a question.

the OP asked his question as to "why" there are laws against pedophilia.

my question was "why" the OP asked his question

and natural plastics question was "why" the OP was trying to prove that concepts of pedophilia are arbitrary.

we all asked "why", so who of us are you saying should be ashamed?

The OP. I made a leading question, because I saw an attempt to apologize pedophilia. Maybe I'm wrong. I speak as a mother.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 10:15 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
Philologos wrote:
But ultimately arbitrary - I know a guy a year older as me what his level of psychosexual maturity - nuff said.

It is generally true that an older person will usually have more sexual maturity than a younger person. In situations with 1/2/3 years of distance it is not always true, but with 5 or 10 years it is usually true save exceptions that come from extremes.

And HOW does that deny that picking a number is at base arbitrary?

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 10:52 am

Philologos wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
Philologos wrote:

And HOW does that deny that picking a number is at base arbitrary?

But it isn't arbitrary. If you look at age-of-consent laws across cultures you can see that they consistently put that line somewhere in the space between childhood and adulthood. There is a several year gap between childhood and adulthood and there is consistency in drawing that line somewhere within the gap. There is variation in where within that gap the line is legally drawn but it is always fixed somewhere within that gap and thus not arbitrary.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2011, 2:15 pm

You seem to be operating with a definition of arbitrary close to that of "random"

To me, arbitrary implies that there is no strong reason for choosing [in this case] this age versus that. Certain the target range is not arbitrary if one takes statistics into account, but within that range by any definition I know choice of age is arbitrary [as of course is using the birth anniversary instead of the first of the year, the date of the last initiation, or whatever].