Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 10:07 pm

"Arizona's concealed-weapon law takes effect"
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepubli ... s-law.html

"6 Killed, Congresswoman Injured In Ariz. Shooting"
http://www.npr.org/2011/01/08/132764367 ... in-arizona
including a 9 year old girl

The second amendment should be repealed.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 10:44 pm

Thaty same crap gets spouted every time there is a shooting. The shooter would have carried a concealed weapon whether it was legal or not. He also could have just as easily got them with a survival knife or run them down with a car. These types of incidents are extremely rare so there is no point in undermining the law abiding citizen's right to self-defense. Why ban guns over the killing of 6 when approximately 12-13,000 have used a gun for lawful personal already this year alone. Why would you ban guns over 13,000 murders annually when 600,000 people defend their life with a gun every year? For now, I'm not even going to get into shooting sports.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 10:52 pm

but if he didn't have a gun in the first place. Obviously mentally ill...

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

08 Jan 2011, 10:53 pm

Ya because those are in any way related. Shut up.

Actually it was reported, at least initially, that a bystander actually returned fire to the gunman so it may of actually saved lives who knows.

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 11:00 pm

"shut up"?

dewd...

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 11:05 pm

MasterJedi wrote:

Like I pointed out, there is more than one way to kill people. Banning guns would jeopardize about 45 times more lives than it would save.

-Sigmund Freud

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 11:09 pm

MasterJedi wrote:
"shut up"?

dewd...

What does concealed carry have to do with the tragedy that happened in Tuscon today? How are they even remotely related? Are you trying to say that if concealed carry was illegal that would of somehow prevented this?

It just really pisses me off to see people try to spin tragedies to like this to support their agenda. It's a sad reflection on this country that the first reaction people have to things like this is to point fingers at each other.

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 11:16 pm

you put a gun in someone's hands and they feel powerful. Take that power away and they're just as lame as the rest of us. Take away guns and the death rate will go down. Streets of LA, Cincinnati, gunshot related deaths will fall off.

So, you want to put more guns into the hands of people who will probably pull it out at the first hint of being threatened? Pull one gun out, everyone else will too. Then you have a bloodbath.

Glad you're being so caviler with people's lives. Just hope it doesn't shoot you in the ass.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 11:27 pm

If a bystander returned fire and failed to stop the killing it openly demonstrated that general possession of guns is ineffective in stopping terrorist acts (which this certainly was, whatever the motivation). Reports indicate that someone tackled the assailant and got him arrested. Tackling seems to be more effective than guns.

Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 11:47 pm

If you need to carry a gun to feel safe, then guns instantly become part of the problem.

Was not spoken of the soul.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2011, 11:58 pm

MasterJedi wrote:
Removing a means to the motive doesn't remove the motive itself and making it illegal wouldn't stop it from happening nor would it stop the person from obtaining the gun illegally. And guns do not make people feel powerful, they appeal to their desire for power which anything can appeal to. That's like saying money is the root of all evil, when in reality money appeals to your desire to possess and control rather than money brainwashing you into greed. Or that food rewires your brain to feel hunger, rather than food appealing to hunger which already existed.

Also, criminality is a way of life, not an isolated incident. No crime is ever "out of character", they are always the result of a long term pattern of thought. An as*hole is very likely to use guns criminally, while a responsible person isn't going to use guns irresponsibly since it's not congruent with that person's pattern of thought or values.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 12:03 am

AceOfSpades wrote:
MasterJedi wrote:
Removing a means to the motive doesn't remove the motive itself and making it illegal wouldn't stop it from happening nor would it stop the person from obtaining the gun illegally. And guns do not make people feel powerful, they appeal to their desire for power which anything can appeal to. That's like saying money is the root of all evil, when in reality money appeals to your desire to possess and control rather than money brainwashing you into greed. Or that food rewires your brain to feel hunger, rather than food appealing to hunger which already existed.

Also, criminality is a way of life, not an isolated incident. No crime is ever "out of character", they are always the result of a long term pattern of thought. An as*hole is very likely to use guns criminally, while a responsible person isn't going to use guns irresponsibly since it's not congruent with that person's pattern of thought or values.

And there is no question that guns make it very easy to kill people. If this vicious imbecile had tried to knife or use a baseball bat on his victims there is no doubt the damage would have been immensely lessened.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 12:26 am

Sand wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
MasterJedi wrote:

And there is no question that guns make it very easy to kill people. If this vicious imbecile had tried to knife or use a baseball bat on his victims there is no doubt the damage would have been immensely lessened.
Yeah and I guess marijuana's illegality took it off the streets :roll:. Prohibition didn't work out for alcohol, and brewing is a much more complex process than cultivating.

The damage would've been made even lesser if he was shot instead of tackled.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 12:27 am

If soldiers and police can have guns so can I. I'm way more afraid of them than I am some lone nut.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 12:37 am

Jacoby wrote:
MasterJedi wrote:
"shut up"?

dewd...

What does concealed carry have to do with the tragedy that happened in Tuscon today? How are they even remotely related? Are you trying to say that if concealed carry was illegal that would of somehow prevented this?

It just really pisses me off to see people try to spin tragedies to like this to support their agenda. It's a sad reflection on this country that the first reaction people have to things like this is to point fingers at each other.

It ticks me off too, but it doesn't surprise me. People on the left are also trying to blame anyone on the right they can.

Hell even the President of the NRA has asked why the hell did this mental case even have a gun, existing gun laws would have forbid this guy to own a firearm...

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 12:39 am

MasterJedi wrote:
you put a gun in someone's hands and they feel powerful. Take that power away and they're just as lame as the rest of us. Take away guns and the death rate will go down. Streets of LA, Cincinnati, gunshot related deaths will fall off.

So, you want to put more guns into the hands of people who will probably pull it out at the first hint of being threatened? Pull one gun out, everyone else will too. Then you have a bloodbath.

Glad you're being so caviler with people's lives. Just hope it doesn't shoot you in the ass.

People who think guns make them or others feel powerful have something disturbingly wrong with them. They are usually either criminals or mentally ill people projecting their cognitive distortions onto others. Most people's guns sit in the closet the vast majority of the time and there is no power trip involved in that. As for the people that have concealed carry permits, carrying a gun is just another item they grab on their way out the door along with their keys and wallet.

Any attempt to use it to make them feel powerful is likely to get them arrested ad their permit revoked. You could take away guns and the number of shootings would decrease, and they would be replaced by stabbing and bludgeoning deaths, and on top of that, the number of armed robberies, home invasions, and rapes would go through the roof.

People do not whip their guns out at the first sign of being threatened. Pulling a gun on someone, even in self defense, usually ends up resulting in making a police report so pulling a gun is only done when the situation has become really bad. In the mid '90s the gun control lobby screamed that their was going to be bloodbaths in the streets as a result of Texas and Florida issuing concealed carry permits. It has been 15 years now and that has yet to happen. Both of those claims you made are cognitive distortions.

-Sigmund Freud