Page 1 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2005, 5:22 pm

Last year someone on here (I forget who) said that the only way the existence of AS can be explained from a christian viewpoint, is as a result of sin. Sin in the world caused physical degredation that led to all diseases and disorders...including AS.

But I've been thinking..this point of view assumes that AS is a NEGATIVE disorder...and not a legitimate neurological type!

SO...is AS a NEGATIVE way to be - would we all be NTs if it hadn't been for "Adam and Eve's Fall"?

OR is AS a different but equally valuable state of being...and without "The Fall", would we be STILL be Aspies - only, in a perfect world without sin, other people would relate to us in a better way?

sorry if it's an inane question but it is on my mind....reply if you wish!

Last edited by Tom on 22 Dec 2005, 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

GroovyDruid
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Nov 2005, 5:58 pm

Wow. 8O

The theology that you're bringing up here could fill ten forums. There's the discussion of what you mean by "sin", there's the discussion of the "fall" and whether that's a metaphor of punishment or simply of duality in existence ... I shudder to think of what a slugfest THIS one could turn into. :)

But here's what I think: Adam and Eve WERE Asperger's. I mean, of course they were! Think about it:

*They wander around all day with no clothes on :wink:

*They are content to be alone and do nothing all the time

*They're both naked, but they haven't done anything shameless yet (know any NTs who could do that?) 8O

*Eve picked the apple in spite of the clear noverbal ques from the serpent that he was up to no dam* good :twisted:

It goes on and on. We are AS in SPITE of the Fall. Somehow, god missed us. Problem is, no Aspie has yet found the Garden of Eden's door.

But when we do, it will be posted on the home page of WrongPlanet. We will all march right back in there and get naked and eat fruit! :D

Boldness has genius,
Power and magic in it.

--Goethe

Relyt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Nov 2005, 5:59 pm

almost all religious philosophies seem very wrong and not thought up very well to me. i find that the best way i can feel good about myself is to not be religious at all. everyone always seems to blame everything bad on the devil and everything good comes from god. and their views of "good and bad" are automatically right. so therefore you must agree with them.

is this person saying that if you have had AS since birth, then you were a sinner at birth? that you were punished at birth with a life-long "disorder"?

my advice is to not believe everything you hear. i think the people that come up with this BS are the people with the real "disorders".

fahreeq
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2005, 6:05 pm

I don't understand why a seemingly loving god would create different brain wiring patterns in people, then allow people who didn't have the typical brain patterns to be abused, maligned, and ignored by others simply for being different.

Nuttdan
WP Co-Founder
WP Co-Founder

09 Nov 2005, 6:13 pm

It's interesting, the diversity in the aspie community. I would think that most would be agnostic/atheist/nontraditional like me, but there are a lot of religious aspies (not that that's bad).

I don't think that the original sin thing is right. That line of reasoning (if it can be called such) has been used to put many minorities (and women) at a lower level in society for ages.

In <i>Beowulf</i>, the monster Grendel is supposedly decendent from Abel and Cain and is thus evil and stuff. I really liked the novel <i>Grendel</i> which puts it from the monster's point of view -- I think it really says a lot about society's tendency to outcast and even demonize people.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2005, 7:33 pm

GroovyDruid wrote:
But here's what I think: Adam and Eve WERE Asperger's. I mean, of course they were! Think about it:

*They wander around all day with no clothes on :wink:

*They are content to be alone and do nothing all the time

*They're both naked, but they haven't done anything shameless yet (know any NTs who could do that?) 8O

*Eve picked the apple in spite of the clear noverbal ques from the serpent that he was up to no dam* good :twisted:

You forgot one... God had to go through all the trouble of creating a whole other person for Adam to actually get a girlfriend! Come on, it's so obvious. :lol:

But seriously, I think the idea that sin causes diseases, disorders etc. is ridiculously stupid. Of course that doesn't really matter because I don't believe in Original Sin.

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2005, 8:00 pm

So when I get a cold it's because I sinned and not because of a virus? :roll:

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2005, 8:07 pm

lowfreq50 wrote:

God gave you the virus because you sinned. Gosh, lowfreq50, don't you know anything? :roll: :P :lol:

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2005, 8:26 pm

Bec wrote:
lowfreq50 wrote:

God gave you the virus because you sinned. Gosh, lowfreq50, don't you know anything? :roll: :P :lol:

You're right Bec! Where's my brain today? :wink:

jk55092
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Nov 2005, 12:45 am

Bec wrote:
lowfreq50 wrote:

Not quite. General consensus is that viruses exist because other people sinned.

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2005, 3:05 am

Very interesting idea Groovey Druid - I love it!

But I think a few people have missed the point. I didn't really want this thread to debate on whether the Creation story is factual or not, but on how the existence of AS relates to that story for those that do believe it. If that is possible.

Renagade
Toucan
Toucan

10 Nov 2005, 3:14 am

I found the original quote that inspired this thread, from Techstepgen8tion-

"The other possibility - were just another sign of the decay of genes as well as humanity via original sin. I really don't know much about the sceince and dynamics of sin in relation to that and christianity; I was raised catholic and the focus was more on what we 'should' do rather than shouldn't. Still, it's an interesting theory, it deals with essentially bad chi or feng shue brought on by all this, and says that in a perfect world without sin that everything is ligned up. ."

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2005, 3:21 am

Sin is a contention of mankind. I was born with CP (cerebral palsy) though I did not sin against God, I have AS too but it is a contention as well. For We are not perfect before the eyes of God this contention has been before us since Adam's Time to Our Time Today as well. For whom can We blame God, the Devil, Adam I think for sure. It is that contention that we as humans are in today and have been in for a very long time. Maybe we all should thank Adam for sin. We are not to blame for Our contentions of life.

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2005, 6:57 am

i punish myself enough without having to worry about what adam and eve did

ramsamsam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Nov 2005, 2:46 pm

If you ask me the 'new jeruselem' sounds like it was designed by someone with AS. Everything with perfect measurements.

spacemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2005, 3:33 pm

Firstly, I disagree with the idea that AS is a defect.
It's like anything else, there are good and bad things about it.

Additionally, I see the "fall" as an intrinsic part of creation.
I don't believe that there were literally humans living in some ideal state, and that they screwed it up.

I view AS as an exageration of certain, very human characteristics, for better or worse.