Page 8 of 14 [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next

Salonfilosoof
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 12:15 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Salonfilosoof wrote:
The same is true for getting an STD, yet it doesn't stop people from having unprotected sex with total strangers either.

No, but only the government would say that this is a reason to have more STDs running around.

???

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Quote:
Why? Why should anyone have sex if they aren't mature enough to handle the responsibility that comes with pregnancy?

Not the point, you apparently missed the point.

While a person may be mature enough to handle the responsibility that comes with pregnancy, this is not a sufficient reason to hold that this person OUGHT to have that responsibility if eliminating it is an option. I am arguing that if everybody is better off if a pregnant woman is no longer pregnant, then why not bring this state of affairs into being all else equal?

Why is everybody better off?

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Quote:
Please elaborate. You lost me here...

You say: "Abortion is bad because it leads to more sex"

No I did not. I don't have a problem with more sex at all in fact :wink:

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
The counter-point is: "Abortion is good because it helps people live better lives"

No it does not. Not requiring people to take responsibility for their actions does not help people live better lives imo.

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Quote:
Educating teenagers to act responsibly and not go sleeping around when they're really too young for it seems to be a more reasonable approach. Certainly, unwanted teenage pregnancy is nothing new but it has never been as common in the past as it is today.

Well.... ok? But, they're going to get pregnant either way. This isn't some crazy either/or situation. Rather, we have teenagers who get pregnant. In any case, teen pregnancy has declined due to less teens getting pregnant anyway: http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/tgr/05/1/gr050107.html

"Among teens in the United States, at least in recent years, declining birthrates are not the result of more pregnant teens opting to have an abortion. The U.S. teen abortion rate, after rising through the 1970s and holding fairly constant during the 1980s, then began a steady decline. By 1997, the rate was 28 abortions per 1,000 women 15-19—33% lower than the rate a decade earlier."

28 abortions per 1000 women still seems quite high imo, although I guess it's hard to compare with rates before it became legal.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 12:19 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
Rapists.

They won't bother using protection and I haven't heard of any woman that would use contraception "just in case you are raped". If forced to comply with the birth, the mother will have to nurture the child of the guy who raped her and the child will most likely have rape tendencies as well and be a bane to society.

So, can anyone tell me a reason not to make abortion for rape victims legal?

That's not a great argument, since fetuses conceived by rape make up only a very tiny proportion of abortions.

A more damning issue with pro-lifers is the common refusal to accept that exceptions would have to be made in the case of serious medical risk to the mother.

Salonfilosoof
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 12:23 am

Orwell wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
Rapists.

They won't bother using protection and I haven't heard of any woman that would use contraception "just in case you are raped". If forced to comply with the birth, the mother will have to nurture the child of the guy who raped her and the child will most likely have rape tendencies as well and be a bane to society.

So, can anyone tell me a reason not to make abortion for rape victims legal?

That's not a great argument, since fetuses conceived by rape make up only a very tiny proportion of abortions.

A more damning issue with pro-lifers is the common refusal to accept that exceptions would have to be made in the case of serious medical risk to the mother.

Again, rape and the likelyhood of the mother dying at childbirth are both common exceptions made with regards to opposition towards abortion. Focusing on either of these two issues seems to be not very constructive imo as the major disagreement lies with abortion being available for women who have consentual sex without contraception where there is no medical risks for the moder.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 12:32 am

Salonfilosoof wrote:

Because while having the child would have been a manageable state of affairs, it would also have been an undesirable one. Given that this is a hypothetical, I don't need too many details.

Quote:
No I did not. I don't have a problem with more sex at all in fact :wink:

I get the feeling that you missed the point due to a phrasing issue, as your point centered around sexual activity.

Quote:
No it does not. Not requiring people to take responsibility for their actions does not help people live better lives imo.

You do realize that you are now just making s**t up, right? You've given no justification for thinking that getting an abortion is less responsible than not getting an abortion. Even further, if there are cases where sex is desirable, a child is possible(in that the couple is hypothetically willing to be responsible if this has to happen), but a child is undesirable, then it is still the best state of affairs that a child not be had, and abortion actualizes this state of affairs. I don't see how making things work out the best for the people involved is less responsible, nor do I see a reason why abortion is a priori irresponsible either.

This isn't about "not requiring people to take responsibility" this is entirely about what set of options are best within a given context.

Quote:
28 abortions per 1000 women still seems quite high imo, although I guess it's hard to compare with rates before it became legal.

Well... ok? I don't really give a s**t about your opinion. I don't even see what problem you are even getting at, as the only problem I see is uterine damage. Frankly, I get the feeling that you have some strange aversion to abortion, and you are trying to make a fake rationalization for it, but that this rationalization is really just that, and not really a matter of any intuition that can be made coherent.

My point was that teens are getting more responsible, so trying to put the entire burden on that point seems pointless.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 12:33 am

Salonfilosoof wrote:
Again, rape and the likelyhood of the mother dying at childbirth are both common exceptions made with regards to opposition towards abortion. Focusing on either of these two issues seems to be not very constructive imo as the major disagreement lies with abortion being available for women who have consentual sex without contraception where there is no medical risks for the moder.

And on this point of disagreement, I don't really see any solid arguments for the other side. Unless you have a reason to say that abortion is inherently wrong, the number of abortions is irrelevant.

Salonfilosoof
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 12:46 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Salonfilosoof wrote:

Because while having the child would have been a manageable state of affairs, it would also have been an undesirable one. Given that this is a hypothetical, I don't need too many details.

And people not taking responsibility for their actions is a desirable state of affairs?

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
I get the feeling that you missed the point due to a phrasing issue, as your point centered around sexual activity.

No it did not. My point centered around people having sex without taking responsibility for the consequences it may have.

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Quote:

You do realize that you are now just making sh** up, right? You've given no justification for thinking that getting an abortion is less responsible than not getting an abortion.

Taking responsibility imo means that either you do not have sex or you have sex using contraception and accept the risk of conception in those rare cases where contraception doesn't work.

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Even further, if there are cases where sex is desirable, a child is possible(in that the couple is hypothetically willing to be responsible if this has to happen), but a child is undesirable, then it is still the best state of affairs that a child not be had, and abortion actualizes this state of affairs. I don't see how making things work out the best for the people involved is less responsible, nor do I see a reason why abortion is a priori irresponsible either.

Abortion is murder. If abortion is moral, then killing babies that are just born is equally moral.

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Quote:

Well... ok? I don't really give a sh** about your opinion. I don't even see what problem you are even getting at, as the only problem I see is uterine damage. Frankly, I get the feeling that you have some strange aversion to abortion, and you are trying to make a fake rationalization for it, but that this rationalization is really just that, and not really a matter of any intuition that can be made coherent.

My point was that teens are getting more responsible, so trying to put the entire burden on that point seems pointless.

If teens are actually getting more responsible, then there's less reason to legalise abortion. Preventing conception should be the goal, not destroying life after conception.

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 12:52 am

Salonfilosoof wrote:
Abortion is murder. If abortion is moral, then killing babies that are just born is equally moral.

yeah, abortion is murder!

miscarriage is manslaughter!

menstruation is negligent homicide!

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 12:56 am

Salonfilosoof wrote:
First of all, this change and many other changes (eg. the legalisation of divorce with little to no conditions and the acceptance of pre-marital sex) to the concept of marriage have pretty much reduced it to a meaningless ritual.

If marriage has been "reduced to a meaningless ritual", why are so many gay and lesbian couples fighting so hard for their right to engage in it? And why are you and others like you fighting so hard to prevent it? Sounds like you don't think it really is all that "meaningless" - you're just making crap up in an effort to bolster an argument that even you can't find effective grounds for.

Incidentally, if life begins at conception, then God (or Nature, if you prefer) is a horrible mass murderer, as up to 75% of fertilized embryos miscarry during pregnancy, including about 22% which are fertilized, but fail to implant in the uterus.

Salonfilosoof
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 1:21 am

waltur wrote:
miscarriage is manslaughter!!

Unless the miscarriage was provoked, I don't see how this can possibly apply.

waltur wrote:
menstruation is negligent homicide!

How do unfertilised eggs or sperm cells compare to a fertilised egg?

DeaconBlues wrote:
Salonfilosoof wrote:
First of all, this change and many other changes (eg. the legalisation of divorce with little to no conditions and the acceptance of pre-marital sex) to the concept of marriage have pretty much reduced it to a meaningless ritual.

If marriage has been "reduced to a meaningless ritual", why are so many gay and lesbian couples fighting so hard for their right to engage in it?

Symbolism.

DeaconBlues wrote:
And why are you and others like you fighting so hard to prevent it?

Because I want it to have some meaning again. For example, I'm all for changing the law so divorce is only possible only under certain conditions (eg. abuse or cheating).

DeaconBlues wrote:
Incidentally, if life begins at conception, then God (or Nature, if you prefer) is a horrible mass murderer, as up to 75% of fertilized embryos miscarry during pregnancy, including about 22% which are fertilized, but fail to implant in the uterus.

This is relevant why? Animals kill each other for food all the time. The only difference is that they usually don't kill their own species and especially not their own offspring.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 3:02 am

Salonfilosoof wrote:
DeaconBlues wrote:
Salonfilosoof wrote:

If marriage has been "reduced to a meaningless ritual", why are so many gay and lesbian couples fighting so hard for their right to engage in it?

Symbolism.

Wrong... the correct answer is legal benefits.

Salonfilosoof
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 3:04 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Salonfilosoof wrote:
DeaconBlues wrote:
Salonfilosoof wrote:

Symbolism.

Wrong... the correct answer is legal benefits.

Wrong. Civil union can provide all the legal benefits needed.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 3:09 am

Salonfilosoof wrote:

Civil unions would do one of two things...

1) Create a separate but equal union. This cannot legally happen since separate but equal is illegal in the United States

2) Ensure one was superior to the other. In which case, we would have the exact same problem we do now... one group fighting for the right to the superior union.

How would you feel if you were denied the ability to be at your dying partner's bedside because you couldn't marry them? What if you two adopted a child together, but because you couldn't marry only one of you was legally the adoptive parent? What if that adoptive parent died?

Would you think it was fair that the remaining parent get their child ripped from them?

Salonfilosoof
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 3:28 am

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Salonfilosoof wrote:

1) Create a separate but equal union. This cannot legally happen since separate but equal is illegal in the United States

No it doesn't. Here in Belgium, civil union was legally adopted before we had gay marriage and this was applicable to both heterosexual and homosexual couples. The legal benefits are similar to that of married couples, but people in a civil union can seperate more easily than married people and don't require any ceremony.

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
2) Ensure one was superior to the other. In which case, we would have the exact same problem we do now... one group fighting for the right to the superior union.

One could argue that civil unions are superior to marriage because seperation is easier and civil union doesn't require a ceremony. It's really a matter of opinion.

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
How would you feel if you were denied the ability to be at your dying partner's bedside because you couldn't marry them?

I don't see why marriage should be a criterium for being able to be at your dying partner's bedside. Living together as a couple should be more than sufficient as a criterium.

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
What if you two adopted a child together, but because you couldn't marry only one of you was legally the adoptive parent? What if that adoptive parent died?

Would you think it was fair that the remaining parent get their child ripped from them?

I personally don't support homosexuals adopting children because I support the idea that it's better for a child to grow up with both a male and a female parent. For the same reason, I object to single men or women adopting children. For that reason, I don't see why this is relevant to the discussion.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 3:38 am

Salonfilosoof wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Salonfilosoof wrote:

No it doesn't. Here in Belgium, civil union was legally adopted before we had gay marriage and this was applicable to both heterosexual and homosexual couples. The legal benefits are similar to that of married couples, but people in a civil union can seperate more easily than married people and don't require any ceremony.

Belgium isn't America. In America, separate but equal is illegal. Creating civil unions for same sex couples and leaving marriage for everyone else is no different than the 'black drinking fountain' and 'white drinking fountain'.

You shouldn't compare our legal system to yours, because they are not the same.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 3:40 am

Salonfilosoof wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
How would you feel if you were denied the ability to be at your dying partner's bedside because you couldn't marry them?

I don't see why marriage should be a criterium for being able to be at your dying partner's bedside. Living together as a couple should be more than sufficient as a criterium.

I agree, but our legal system does not.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2011, 3:44 am

Salonfilosoof wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
What if you two adopted a child together, but because you couldn't marry only one of you was legally the adoptive parent? What if that adoptive parent died?

I personally don't support homosexuals adopting children because I support the idea that it's better for a child to grow up with both a male and a female parent. For the same reason, I object to single men or women adopting children. For that reason, I don't see why this is relevant to the discussion.

It's relevant because the ideal shouldn't dictate whether a child gets a loving home or not. We have an over-abundance of children floating around in foster care just waiting for *someone* to love them... be it a single parent, a same sex couple, or a male/female couple.

And I speak from experience, here. I would have given anything to have a stable home where I was loved. One such home was denied to me because it happened to be a same sex home.