Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

woodss82
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 1:57 am

Has anyone read these two texts in the bible?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 5:42 am

woodss82 wrote:

Book of Daniel. The only book in the TNKH written entirely in Aramaic.

Do I believe a word of it? No. Not a word.

ruveyn

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 8:20 am

ruveyn wrote:
woodss82 wrote:

ruveyn

---

What? You don't believe Daniel could stroll through a room with hungry lions and not be eaten? You don't believe Daniel would not be burned to a crisp in a hot oven? Well, I guess you don't believe an image or word from the following movie either:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_Day_(film) (1996 science fiction movie) Independence Day was made in English, not Aramaic.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 8:31 am

woodss82 wrote:

---

Both the Book of Daniel (Old Testament) and Revelation (New Testament) are extremely imaginative exactly like many science fiction or fantasy fairy tales. The Book of Daniel is often used to imply that Judaism believed in immortality/a resurrection of the dead to life again (Jewish resurrection). Revelation is a Greek mythology twist on the entire New Testament (my view) and implies that Christianity believes in immortality/a resurrection of the dead to life again (Christian resurrection). Aspects of how the Book of Daniel and Revelation are written are apparent from reading Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan who used extreme imagination in his storytelling and commentary to look at the meaning of the Bible: a walk from the City of Destruction through the Town of Vanity Fair to Celestial City.

woodss82
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 8:41 am

these books a vital to understand and know because it exposes the anti Christ.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 9:22 am

ruveyn wrote:
woodss82 wrote:

ruveyn

No - I am happy to say there is a goodly Aramaic component - Aramaic is my favorite part of Semitic for many reasons - but it is NOT written entirely in Aramaic.

You do not believe a word? I will take it you exaggerate for effect.

To the basic question, yes, I have read them both, several times.

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 9:35 am

woodss82 wrote:

If you have an especial interest in eschatology. If you're more concerned with the day-to-day, where we actually live, then 1st John is perfectly adequate and avoids the danger of hysteria.

Whenever the day is done."

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 9:42 am

Very interesting.

That you should pick 1st John, that is. Makes me wonder about you. Have you worked through the Cloud of Unknowing?

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 10:05 am

woodss82 wrote:

No they aren't. They're just vital if you want to throw sanity and reason out the window.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 10:16 am

Philologos wrote:
Very interesting.

That you should pick 1st John, that is. Makes me wonder about you. Have you worked through the Cloud of Unknowing?

Unless I've got my texts mixed up, 1st John is where "the spirit of antichrist" gets mentioned? I have not read Julian; it's simply that I don't see any point in worrying over the end of the world. Each of us will face our own personal end of the world, otherwise known as death. That's quite enough to be prepared for without fretting over something we can't get a real idea of, tend to hysterically misinterpret and use as a shoehorn, and have no idea whether we'll ever see (in our lifetime) anyways. (I could sidetrack on the Rapture here. I won't.)

To borrow from Bd. Teresa of Calcutta, "Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow is not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin."

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 1:11 pm

*facepalm*

i love when xtians, especially several who are from different sects, talk about "the antichrist."
the following is as it appears in the NIV. go ahead and look up your own chosen translation and see if it's much different.

1 john 2:18-27 wrote:
(18) Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come. This is how we know it is the last hour. (19) They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us.

(20) But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and all of you know the truth. (21) I do not write to you because you do not know the truth, but because you do know it and because no lie comes from the truth. (22) Who is the liar? It is whoever denies that Jesus is the Christ. Such a person is the antichrist—denying the Father and the Son. (23) No one who denies the Son has the Father; whoever acknowledges the Son has the Father also.

(24) As for you, see that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you. If it does, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. (25) And this is what he promised us—eternal life.

(26) I am writing these things to you about those who are trying to lead you astray. (27) As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him.

2 john 1:7 wrote:
I say this because many deceivers, who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh, have gone out into the world. Any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist.

there is your antichrist. here is your antichrist. we are everywhere. we've been around longer than any currently active christian sect.

and what?

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 1:18 pm

skafather84 wrote:
woodss82 wrote:

No they aren't. They're just vital if you want to throw sanity and reason out the window.

Not at all. I have known and see here every day people who have done just that without bothering to read any apocalyptic literature. Though some may have watched some film clips.

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 1:19 pm

waltur wrote:
*facepalm*

i love when xtians, especially several who are from different sects, talk about "the antichrist."
the following is as it appears in the NIV. go ahead and look up your own chosen translation and see if it's much different.
1 john 2:18-27 wrote:
(18) Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come. This is how we know it is the last hour. (19) They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us.

(20) But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and all of you know the truth. (21) I do not write to you because you do not know the truth, but because you do know it and because no lie comes from the truth. (22) Who is the liar? It is whoever denies that Jesus is the Christ. Such a person is the antichrist—denying the Father and the Son. (23) No one who denies the Son has the Father; whoever acknowledges the Son has the Father also.

(24) As for you, see that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you. If it does, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. (25) And this is what he promised us—eternal life.

(26) I am writing these things to you about those who are trying to lead you astray. (27) As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him.

2 john 1:7 wrote:
I say this because many deceivers, who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh, have gone out into the world. Any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist.

there is your antichrist. here is your antichrist. we are everywhere. we've been around longer than any currently active christian sect.

and what?

Pretty much my take on it, self-identification with the text aside. Much of what passes for interpretation of the book of Revelation is religious conspiracy theory, complete with a Single Shadowy European or American Male Figure controlling everything. It's not going to play out that way.

woodss82
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 1:23 pm

[img][800:673]http://www.raptureforums.com/ClarenceLarkin/images/10-seventy.gif[/img]

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 1:23 pm

Natty Boh:

Julian alias Juliana for people who worry about cognitive discord between contemporary and medieval feminine naming traditions is not the Cloud Author.

I now see why 1 John - but both Julian and the Cloud are interesting. Julian comes into my head more esily; my wife into both.

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2011, 2:17 pm

woodss82 wrote:
[img][800:673]http://www.raptureforums.com/ClarenceLarkin/images/10-seventy.gif[/img]

do you believe that the rapture will occur before or after the rise of this "antichrist?"