Page 1 of 14 [ 217 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 3:09 pm

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 3:11 pm

LOL
Right on

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 3:12 pm

Isn't there a law against false advertising?

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 3:13 pm

Nobody takes it seriously apparently

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 3:31 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Isn't there a law against false advertising?

Nope, Reagan had that repealed. (FACT!!)

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 3:33 pm

I love health-care. Once a year I get a free echo-cardiogram to ensure my heart isn't going to give out on me. I have no insurance and I'm a poor college student who barely makes ends meet with two part time and one full time job. I doubt I would be alive if I was in the United States today.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 3:44 pm

Vigilans wrote:
I love health-care. Once a year I get a free echo-cardiogram to ensure my heart isn't going to give out on me. I have no insurance and I'm a poor college student who barely makes ends meet with two part time and one full time job. I doubt I would be alive if I was in the United States today.

The US is a country of insane ultra-rightists who have the most voice in media (6 or so corporations own the majority of the media).

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 3:54 pm

It's pretty insane. The amusing part is that mandates are a conservative idea. Mitt Romney was pushing it right up until 2009 and he was under the impression that his right flank was secure. The Heritage Foundation was helping him.

Now the idea suddenly fell out of favor with conservatives and Romney has to run for President in 2012 pretending he never heard of it. That will be good for some laughs in the debates as someone is bound to call him out.

Last edited by simon_says on 11 Feb 2011, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 3:54 pm

To quote John Adams, "When the pot is set to boil, the scum rises to the top". I think this sums up the political situation in many places in the world right now. I have great admiration for the United States. Perhaps more lately then usual but I am currently reading a couple of US history books so that could explain it. I find it ironic that the Tea Party is building this mythology about the founding fathers that is so unbelievably far from the truth. I wish more Americans would actually go back and read what Jefferson, Hamilton, Adams, and especially Washington actually did and said (in addition to many of the other wise men of the period)...

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 4:04 pm

Vigilans wrote:
I wish more Americans would actually go back and read what Jefferson, Hamilton, Adams, and especially Washington actually did and said (in addition to many of the other wise men of the period)...

That sho' ain't gonna happen.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 4:32 pm

They would rather be given opinions by the Talking Heads such as O'RLY? and Matthews.
Speaking of talking heads...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNnAvTTaJjM[/youtube]

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 6:59 pm

Funny that the right, while claiming to typify the Judea-Christian ideal, thinks it's somehow wrong to help people in need with medical care, or even to eat.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 7:08 pm

simon_says wrote:
It's pretty insane. The amusing part is that mandates are a conservative idea. Mitt Romney was pushing it right up until 2009 and he was under the impression that his right flank was secure. The Heritage Foundation was helping him.

Now the idea suddenly fell out of favor with conservatives and Romney has to run for President in 2012 pretending he never heard of it. That will be good for some laughs in the debates as someone is bound to call him out.

I think this just proves that conservatives constitutional opposition to the mandate is really just a technicality, an issue of "state's rights". Obviously Romney supporters didn't think a government mandate to buy private insurance was "tyrannical" when it was the state of Massachusetts issuing the mandate. The whole argument is just stupid.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2011, 7:45 pm

marshall wrote:
I think this just proves that conservatives constitutional opposition to the mandate is really just a technicality, an issue of "state's rights". Obviously Romney supporters didn't think a government mandate to buy private insurance was "tyrannical" when it was the state of Massachusetts issuing the mandate. The whole argument is just stupid.

Maybe for the conservative partisans, but for those of use who actually respect the constitution regardless of who happens to be in office this is far more than a mere technicality. The commerce clause has been distorted far beyond it's intended purpose and used to justify all sorts of dubious programs since at least the '30s, and it's high time that someone puts a damper on it. Though I don't care for the health care law at the center of this thing, to me it's reigning in the legislative overreach of the last 80 years or so that's the real priority. I could care less who's flip flopped over what, all I'm interested in is establishing a precedent and then leveraging it to roll back years of bad lawmaking.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2011, 12:37 am

Dox47 wrote:
marshall wrote:

Maybe for the conservative partisans, but for those of use who actually respect the constitution regardless of who happens to be in office this is far more than a mere technicality. The commerce clause has been distorted far beyond it's intended purpose and used to justify all sorts of dubious programs since at least the '30s, and it's high time that someone puts a damper on it. Though I don't care for the health care law at the center of this thing, to me it's reigning in the legislative overreach of the last 80 years or so that's the real priority. I could care less who's flip flopped over what, all I'm interested in is establishing a precedent and then leveraging it to roll back years of bad lawmaking.

But if you roll back social security (including unemployment benefits) you'll have a lot of hurting people who will be angry. If the issue is merely constitutionality then why not support a constitutional amendment that specifically allows laws for providing a social safety net and/or health insurance? If you ask me that's what should have been done back in the 30s.

I still think the argument that a universal healthcare mandate will lead, via a slippery slope, to government tyranny is the argument that is stupid. That so many people think there is some sinister motive to behind the health care reform bill, that it is a ruse that the Obama administration is using to bring the country "closer to Marxism" shows a level of paranoia against liberals that is pathologically irrational. Really, this is the problem. I don't see any conservatives or libertarians giving good rational arguments as to why government regulated/subsidized universal healthcare will not work when it clearly has worked in so many other countries. I simply don't buy into all the negativity when what existed before was even less acceptable. It seems like a bunch of straining at gnats and swallowing camels.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2011, 1:16 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ63lteml28[/youtube]

Listen to the video.