Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 12:57 am

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/?p=2818

Quote:
Right – it’s the energy vibrational resonance of water – i.e. “magic”. Adams has now entered the pantheon of homeopaths who have desperately tried to explain how homeopathy works using the language of science, to humorous effect.

Adams also claims in his article that, “no one is harmed by homeopathy.” He even uses bold type to make sure we get it.

Well, tell that to Gloria Thomas Sam – whose parents decided to treat her severe skin condition with only homeopathic remedy. They were convinced by arguments similar to the ones being peddled by Adams that “chemicals” are dangerous. As a result, she died a horrible death at 9 months old. Tell that to all the people on this list at whatstheharm.net. This is just a small sample of cases of people being harmed, and even dying prematurely, because they were convinced to rely upon homeopathy to treat real non-self-limiting disease. This is a death toll that can be laid directly at the feet of all those who are promoting medical nonsense, like homeopathy. It belongs to all those who try to scare the public away from effective and proven medicine, to confuse the public with sophisticated but nonsensical arguments about magic water, and all those who attack “skeptics” who are just trying to explain the scientific facts to the public.

I was shocked one could have the 'skill' miss what the whole point of the world overdose day was. But then I noticed it was the head of scientiology-propaganda site 'natural'news.com , so I was not surprised anymore.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 1:06 am

Quote:
scientiology-propaganda

Scientology and alternative medicine practices go hand in hand. In a sense Scientology is the champion of 'alternative medicine' in that it markets itself as a legitimate alternative to mind medicine - psychology - and neuro-biological based drugs associated with psychology and psychiatry.
Additionally they attempt to outreach to addicted persons with the 'Narconon' organization that markets a completely flawed and unethical manner of treating addiction that can actually lead to serious physical harm. Asides the mental harm Narconon inflicts simply be virtue of being a Scientology organization. They obviously use this to try and get addicts on board the Scientology boat (sadly, this is not a metaphor, I recommend anyone curious look into the Sea Org).
They also have a criminal 'rehabilitation' called Criminon which uses similar practices to Narconon and serves as a 'not-for profit' way for them to proselytize their business/cult
Then of course there is the Association for Better Living and Education, who's name is highly Orwellian in nature compared with it's practices and goals

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2011, 1:22 am

Most talk about the operation of homeopathy is garbage. Whatever is happening [if anything is happening if that way of puttin it bothers anyone, there is no point arguing] we simply do not have tools in hand to determine it and almost no one down the years has tried.

It is a commonly heard myth that homeopathic remedies do no harm, have no side effects, whatever. This too is garbage - thoughtless garbage. NOT the use of homeopathy for things it is not designed for - that is idiocy. Bloodletting is a very useful medical technique - say for first aid where you have certain kinds of snake venom in you. But bloodletting where it is inappropriate is idiocy, as Washington found out [ http://xnet.kp.org/permanentejournal/spring04/time.html ], whatever the mainstream medicine of the time said about it.

But also you get even experienced practitioners actually publishing statements, homeopathic remedies have no side effect, you cannot be harmed. They do not actually believe in their own treatments. Homeopathy claims [you don't need to believe it, just believe me when I say it is claimed] that the remedies have real and powerful effects. What is there on this plasnet, I ask you, thatr HAS an effect, that cannot have any UNDESIRED effect?

In fact, the literature is full of warnings of conditions where the remedy's effect has been known even to bring on death. There are just as many warnings of wrong applications and bad combinations as you get on the drug company's package inserts. Yet some keep saying there is no such possibility.

Apparently, the people who talk that way AGREE with the critics that there is nothing there and the remedies have no effect - so why are they using them? Very like the heavy "no word must be wrong" creationists who seem to agree with the atheists that disproving one line of the bible will make a god they claim is omnipotent disappear!