Any chance of a straight and non transexual forum?

Page 1 of 18 [ 281 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next

murphycop
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 10:42 pm

Seeing the gay and transexual forum is very irritating. I know the answer to my question would be "the rest of the site is for......." but its not exclusive is it. Where as the GLBT forum is, this is not equality. I'll also raise my point again about the fact that transexuals are meant to want to be seen as the sex they feel they are inside, so why would they still want to be labelled transexuals? I agree that minorites should have equal rights, but not more rights.

Butterflies
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Feb 2011, 11:07 pm

Why does this bother you?

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 12:59 am

Butterflies wrote:

Indeed, why does this bother you? And why now?

murphycop
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 6:24 am

MidlifeAspie wrote:
Butterflies wrote:

Why now? I'd only just seen the forum. Double standards and hypocrisy does annoy me. Maybe it shouldn't, but it does. Especially if anyone like this is fretting about being treated badly. I'd be happier if someone just admitted it was wrong and its tough luck.

TOGGI3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Feb 2011, 10:20 am

murphycop wrote:
MidlifeAspie wrote:
Butterflies wrote:

Why now? I'd only just seen the forum. Double standards and hypocrisy does annoy me. Maybe it shouldn't, but it does. Especially if anyone like this is fretting about being treated badly. I'd be happier if someone just admitted it was wrong and its tough luck.

catering to a population specifically and not its opposite isn't hypocrisy or a double standard when that population is lesser in distribution of people. When being straight is the exception and not the rule perhaps we can look at adding a straight forum. I dont see why it should bother you.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 11:00 am

TOGGI3 wrote:
murphycop wrote:
MidlifeAspie wrote:
Butterflies wrote:

catering to a population specifically and not its opposite isn't hypocrisy or a double standard when that population is lesser in distribution of people. When being straight is the exception and not the rule perhaps we can look at adding a straight forum. I dont see why it should bother you.

Oh, so only minorities are to be catered to?

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 11:02 am

The GLBT forum, like this messageboard as a whole, is about discussing issues related to being different.

Plus, forums should have a focus as far as what they are, not be defined by what they are not. Discussing issues of not being different? Doesn't seem like an adequate basis for a forum.

Note that the GLBT forum is not a hangout place for GLBTs. It's a forum to discussion issues related to being one of those and autistic/aspie.

Now, if you are thinking specifically a forum related to sexuality issues for heterosexuals, Love and Dating would be the appropriate place for those kind of posts, I would think. The forum's already there. No need for a special "normal people only" forum on the topic.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 11:08 am

murphycop wrote:
Seeing the gay and transexual forum is very irritating. I know the answer to my question would be "the rest of the site is for......." but its not exclusive is it. Where as the GLBT forum is, this is not equality. I'll also raise my point again about the fact that transexuals are meant to want to be seen as the sex they feel they are inside, so why would they still want to be labelled transexuals? I agree that minorites should have equal rights, but not more rights.

I agree, and that's part of the reason I was against it being made in the first place. And now it's been done, every other minority will want a forum section too, even though there are already places in this forum that serve them, as well as everyone else, just fine, like how the L&D forum already served LGBT people just fine.

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 11:11 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

With that statement you quite entirely miss the point of this entire site. It is already a place where minorities are catered to. The AS/ASD population consists of about 0.66% of the population.

What is it about being straight that you all want to talk about, that isn't covered in L&D and Adult? Give me an example of a topc.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 11:16 am

MidlifeAspie wrote:
What is it about being straight that you all want to talk about, that isn't covered in L&D and Adult? Give me an example of a topc.

Why wasn't that logic used when considering the LGBT forum?

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 11:19 am

Asp-Z wrote:

I didn't create the forum, but I believe it was. I might not personally agree with the decision, but I do understand why it was made. There are a lot of LBGT-specific issues and if you hop on over there you can read all about them. I am still asking for examples of straight-specific issues. If you want to make a real request for a forum you need to back up your request with specifics and reasons, just as they did.

Or were you not really serious?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 11:22 am

MidlifeAspie wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

With that statement you quite entirely miss the point of this entire site. It is already a place where minorities are catered to. The AS/ASD population consists of about 0.66% of the population.

Having an Autistic Spectrum Disorder is a commonality among members, however within the subset of the world's population of which the members of this site consist, there are various ideologies, opinions, preferences, and practices. It may already be a place in which minorities are catered to, however is a sub-purpose of this site to cater to the minorities of the world's population at large, the minorities within the ASD subset, or to be a generally supportive site to anybody and everybody? Would you mind sharing what the actual purpose of this site is, if possible?

An example topic? Men & Women, is there any difference in the way we think? Communication troubleshooting and repair?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 11:24 am

MidlifeAspie wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:

I didn't create the forum, but I believe it was. I might not personally agree with the decision, but I do understand why it was made. There are a lot of LBGT-specific issues and if you hop on over there you can read all about them. I am still asking for examples of straight-specific issues. If you want to make a real request for a forum you need to back up your request with specifics and reasons, just as they did.

Or were you not really serious?

Those topics could be discussed in the L&D and adult sections as they were previously, though. It's not needed really.

As for this proposed section, I'm sure the OP can provide a list of reasons for it.

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 11:30 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
An example topic? Men & Women, is there any difference in the way we think? Communication troubleshooting and repair?

This is covered everywhere from General to L&D to Work. Men talking to women and women talking to men is not an activity restricted to the heterosexual populace.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 12:02 pm

MidlifeAspie wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

This is covered everywhere from General to L&D to Work. Men talking to women and women talking to men is not an activity restricted to the heterosexual populace.

So, talking about Politics, Philosophy, Religion, Christianity and the Bible can occur outside of PPR, and if it does then there would be no need for PPR?

MidlifeAspie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 12:03 pm

What is your goal for this line of debate? Do you hope that Alex will read what you have written and change his mind and take the forum away because you don't like it?