Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

galilei
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Mar 2011, 7:50 am

Nuances. Intellectualism. High education.

These are terms that has become negatively coined by the right-wing conservative waves that has swept over Europe the past 10 years.

In lay terms, we could say that having a high education or being intellectual is out-dated.
It's no "in" any more to see the nuances.

I think this is very sad. We see this on TV and books. They are becoming more and more simplistic and only tells one side of the story.

This is not the worst part of it. The worst part is that it has grave human consequences not to see the nuances. The sick and disabled are referred to as a "burden" and the disabled are called "cuckoos".

This is the result of years of intense hatred in the media against intellectuals and nuances. I recall the Danish People's Party (the second or third largest political party in Denmark) said that "we are proud that we don't have educated people in our party" (I forgot where the sources are, I just heard it on TV).

I don't know how it is in the rest of Europe, but I assume that since Wilders and many other right-wingers are in power in Europe, there must be some sort of extreme hatred towards intellectualism.

It is dangerous. Europe is on the way to a catastrophe like Hitlers anti-intellectual regime!

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 8:03 am

It's an absolute disaster. All the escape routes from poverty are being removed from the Working Class in the UK. The price of a degree is prohibitive, public libraries are being shut, jobs are becoming scarce whilst welfare systems are becoming tougher. You have to lead a horse to water in order to make it drink as not everyone will have a natural curiosity, or the time to find water on their own as i have done. It also in the interests of elites to have a dull witted citizenry. I think what we will see in the next decades is a big drive to reinstate the systems that are being dismantled. A repeat of the the 1930's and 40's.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 8:37 am

Are things really that bad over there? Wow!

As an American with very little perspective on European affairs, I'm curious about something. Is there really a conservative attack on intellectualism, or is it rather merely a single ideology or small group of ideologies that are under attack? I'm guessing it's the latter.

Here in the USA, I think some of us would generally rather spend our time on intellectual pursuits. The problem is that sooner or later, someone eventually is going to want to be compensated for their work. Such compensation will be long in coming if there is no money with which to compensate. As a religious (Christian) conservative myself, I've found shelter within my church as a means of furthering my artistic pursuits because I don't have to ask for money nor do I have to ask someone to spend money for resources. I can meet my personal artistic goals in what is pretty much an "open source" kind of approach.

All closing libraries and cutting educational programs means is that those who are interested in intellectual/artistic pursuits have to take personal responsibility for those things and try to facilitate them by working through, say, church or the private sector. It could actually be a very exciting time intellectualism when new means of expression have to be sought. The less money has to be involved, the better.

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 8:45 am

AngelRho wrote:
Are things really that bad over there? Wow!

As an American with very little perspective on European affairs, I'm curious about something. Is there really a conservative attack on intellectualism, or is it rather merely a single ideology or small group of ideologies that are under attack? I'm guessing it's the latter.

Here in the USA, I think some of us would generally rather spend our time on intellectual pursuits. The problem is that sooner or later, someone eventually is going to want to be compensated for their work. Such compensation will be long in coming if there is no money with which to compensate. As a religious (Christian) conservative myself, I've found shelter within my church as a means of furthering my artistic pursuits because I don't have to ask for money nor do I have to ask someone to spend money for resources. I can meet my personal artistic goals in what is pretty much an "open source" kind of approach.

All closing libraries and cutting educational programs means is that those who are interested in intellectual/artistic pursuits have to take personal responsibility for those things and try to facilitate them by working through, say, church or the private sector. It could actually be a very exciting time intellectualism when new means of expression have to be sought. The less money has to be involved, the better.

Most people wont have the time of the inclination after working a mind numbing soul destroying shift to do anything other than watch tv and i can't say i blame them. Thats why traditionally in europe people weren't expected to both work and do a degree at the same time. Thinking about things and reading about them takes time and intellectual effort. If you really want to foster a rebirth of intellectualism you should reduce working hours like they have done in France and make degrees free at the point of use for anyone who is curious enough to try one. That used to be the way in Britain but even the Open University now charges i was appalled to discover.

galilei
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Mar 2011, 9:37 am

AngelRho wrote:

Conservatism in Europe is very different from the Christian Conservatism in the U.S.
Conservatism in Europe means being simple-minded, hard-nosed and damn cruel to anyone who thinks different or dare to ask for money for not working - especially the sick and disabled and ESPECIALLY those with mental health problems. Being a European Conservative means you want lower taxes at the cost of welfare for the sick and disabled.

AngelRho wrote:
Here in the USA, I think some of us would generally rather spend our time on intellectual pursuits.

In Europe, intellectual pursuits is regarded as a sign of "self-inflicted weakness".
Here in Denmark, several books has been written against intellectuals and those who don't work. They say that if you don't work you are a loser, and the characteristic signs of a loser is that he/she pursues intellectual interests.

Yes, we are going to repeat 1933 all over again :(

AngelRho wrote:
The problem is that sooner or later, someone eventually is going to want to be compensated for their work. Such compensation will be long in coming if there is no money with which to compensate.

In Europe, especially in North-Western Europe (Scandinavia for instance) the government is paying musicians and artists, film makers etc. These public fundings for non-working people in artistic intellectual fields are deeply hatred among the lay people. They point at public funding for museums, artists, film makers etc. as the first places to cut - welfare for the sick and disabled the second to be cut into pieces!

AngelRho wrote:
As a religious (Christian) conservative myself, I've found shelter within my church as a means of furthering my artistic pursuits because I don't have to ask for money nor do I have to ask someone to spend money for resources. I can meet my personal artistic goals in what is pretty much an "open source" kind of approach.

You are lucky. In Europe you have to be very sick or disabled in order to get any sort of assurance you will get money if you don't work. (I'm one of them).

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 9:41 am

There's a difference between European and American conservatism? Well i never. I'm pretty sure the American right is even more hostile to the welfare state than our Tories. Both conservatisms are pretty hostile though.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 9:50 am

galilei wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

Conservatism in Europe is very different from the Christian Conservatism in the U.S.
Conservatism in Europe means being simple-minded, hard-nosed and damn cruel to anyone who thinks different or dare to ask for money for not working - especially the sick and disabled and ESPECIALLY those with mental health problems. Being a European Conservative means you want lower taxes at the cost of welfare for the sick and disabled.

AngelRho wrote:
Here in the USA, I think some of us would generally rather spend our time on intellectual pursuits.

In Europe, intellectual pursuits is regarded as a sign of "self-inflicted weakness".
Here in Denmark, several books has been written against intellectuals and those who don't work. They say that if you don't work you are a loser, and the characteristic signs of a loser is that he/she pursues intellectual interests.

Yes, we are going to repeat 1933 all over again :(

AngelRho wrote:
The problem is that sooner or later, someone eventually is going to want to be compensated for their work. Such compensation will be long in coming if there is no money with which to compensate.

In Europe, especially in North-Western Europe (Scandinavia for instance) the government is paying musicians and artists, film makers etc. These public fundings for non-working people in artistic intellectual fields are deeply hatred among the lay people. They point at public funding for museums, artists, film makers etc. as the first places to cut - welfare for the sick and disabled the second to be cut into pieces!

AngelRho wrote:
As a religious (Christian) conservative myself, I've found shelter within my church as a means of furthering my artistic pursuits because I don't have to ask for money nor do I have to ask someone to spend money for resources. I can meet my personal artistic goals in what is pretty much an "open source" kind of approach.

You are lucky. In Europe you have to be very sick or disabled in order to get any sort of assurance you will get money if you don't work. (I'm one of them).

This sounds just like the American version of conservatism to me. However, in the US most people with mental health problems never got any kind of assistance. There is next to nothing for government to take away since there wasn't anything in the first place. If family members aren't willing to support people with mental health issues they end up on the streets.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 11:13 am

galilei wrote:

How is that different?

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 11:16 am

Intellectualism is hated because intellectuals dare to think by themself, which is dangerous for those seeking control on our life.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 11:58 am

Tollorin wrote:
Intellectualism is hated because intellectuals dare to think by themself, which is dangerous for those seeking control on our life.

No, it is more of people hate the arrogance of "intellectuals" whom act like they know more when than the masses, when usually they know a lot less than they think they do.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 12:00 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Tollorin wrote:

No, it is more of people hate the arrogance of "intellectuals" whom act like they know more when than the masses, when usually they know a lot less than they think they do.

No, they hate them because they are told to. Even if what you said was correct, that is equally bad, as it makes the masses look like jealous high school kids who dislike the person who is good in math. Seriously, broseph?

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 12:04 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Tollorin wrote:

No, they hate them because they are told to. Even if what you said was correct, that is equally bad, as it makes the masses look like jealous high school kids who dislike the person who is good in math. Seriously, broseph?

No, I'm saying that "intellectuals" are just arrogant twats that the masses may actually know more than the supposed intellectuals, jealousy doesn't even enter into the equation.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 12:05 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Tollorin wrote:

No, I'm saying that "intellectuals" are just arrogant twats that the masses may actually know more than the supposed intellectuals, jealousy doesn't even enter into the equation.

So the masses working the blue collar nightmare somehow know more about sciences, history, politics & geography then the guys with the PhDs and decades of experience?
For that matter, do the masses know more then Glenn Beck, or is he exempt from this status as a conservative intellectua & Jim Henson's protégé? 8)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 1:40 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Tollorin wrote:

Wait a minute... I was under the impression that you're a student. Doesn't that qualify you to be an intellectual?
As for intellectuals being arrogant toward working people - no, we just hold in contempt those who think higher learning, the arts, and the sciences to be a waste of time. My late father was a working stiff his whole life with only one year of college under his belt. But he kept up an intellectual interest his whole life, he was well read, and he and I would have endless intellectual discussions (which I very much miss). But even though he was a union grievance man (shop steward), he couldn't help but feel infuriated at the sheer ignorance demonstrated by many of his fellow workers when many became so-called Regan Democrats, with all the anti-intellectualism and ignorance that came with it.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 2:19 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Tollorin wrote:

Nope. Demagogue-ites just don't like being told when they are ignorant. Pointing out that reality isn't black-and-white to people who insist on seeing the world in black-and-white terms is considered arrogant.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 2:29 pm

Intellectualism is outdated because it takes effort and people are too lazy to put any effort into thinking.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson