The Bible, Vegetarianism, and a Healthy Lifestyle

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you agree?
I don't think people should be eating meat anyways... 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Yes, I'm all for moderation and this is a healthy view to live by 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
Yes, but for another reason 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
No, you are reading into things, that is not the intent of the bible 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
No, for another reason 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't care, I eat whatever I want 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 12

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 6:49 pm

The Verses to look up:
Genesis 2 verse 16
"And God commanded Adam saying that every tree in the garden you shall eat."

Following Dennis Prager's Bible course, he discussed Vegetarianism, and the role of Kosher in our lives. I will summarize:

Quote:
Kashrut - The jewish laws of kosher, are Judaisms compromise on the vegetarian ideal of the bible/torah. It is not a health code. It is part of Judaisms dealing with the fact that - to use Christian wording - "we have fallen" since our time in the Garden of Eden. Kosher is a reminder that vegetarianism is an ideal, and that fruit and vegetable eating is not the same as meat eating.

There aren't any kosher laws restricting your eating of fruits and veggies, so self-discipline is not the main purpose of kosher. It is a healthy reminder to all that you have still killed when you eat meat, and to honor that something gave its life so that you can nourish yourself.

I feel this is very healthy. I am a foodie and follow the organic bandwagon (not strictly... I still eat burger king and at seafood buffets), but I do participate in a local co-op here in Portland Oregon, I buy raw goats milk (14 dollars for 1 gallon) and try to buy local. I also hunt for venison and duck, and prefer beef from a local butcher and chicken that is free-range. That said, I think its sad that our society looks at a piece of meat on a store shelf and treat it like cereal, a bottle of juice, or a loaf of bread, forgetting that a life was taken so that we may eat. It is also indicative of our society and how far-removed we have been from the land that sustains us. The Bible doesn't look down on eat-meating as many modern vegan and vegetarians do (it even went out of its way to allow meat-eating because the pagans of the time were both worshiping animals and/or had a view that put man and animal on par.) but it does ask us to be considerate. You are taking a life. It is not murder (immoral killing) but killing none-the-less.

I think if we gained respect for the things we kill to eat, it would make for a better and healthier world. What's your take.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 7:44 pm

I suggest as an antidote...

…works alright for me.

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 7:57 pm

Had a conversation with a guy a few days ago and agree with what he said.

If people want to eat meat that is fine, but they should at least be made to kill and butcher an entire animal at least once (at the age of 16 or something as a hypothetical example) so that they can decide if it feels alight for them to do.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 9:07 pm

PatrickNeville wrote:
Had a conversation with a guy a few days ago and agree with what he said.

If people want to eat meat that is fine, but they should at least be made to kill and butcher an entire animal at least once (at the age of 16 or something as a hypothetical example) so that they can decide if it feels alight for them to do.

I was forced to help kill a pig at the age of 13. I held it, my cousin stabbed it, and we let it bleed out. I am still not happy to this day that I took part in that only because there are quicker ways to kill an animal, and we watched it squeal while it's lifeline dripped all over the ground. It was also a very young pig, and no one had ever talked to me about the reality of eating meat (which I wish someone would have explained to me).

I now hunt with family and friends, and if I have kids, I'll probably take them hunting as well.

As a christian, I think you need to

1.) let your children know where there food comes from and explain the means,
2.) show them the process when they get older or mature enough to see or take part in it,
3.) let them know that animals and humans are not equals and that we were made in Gods image, and
4.) point them to all the passages in the Torah that prohibit animal torture, and let them know that torturing animals by inflicting un-necessary pain is immoral and you are more likely to hurt other people if you gain joy from the suffering of animals, and
5.) that when you eat meat, you are taking a life, so honor and respect that.

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 9:16 pm

I think you are at doing the respectable thing. Most people act defensively when I mention the cruelty involved. Most people just do not realise where their meat is coming from more often than not.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 10:21 pm

Hey, I think that if people want to travel in plane, that should be fine, but they should be able to build a plane engine at least once in life.

God gave people permission to eat animals after the events of the arc.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2011, 11:17 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:

Yes and it was because God grew tired of the pagans and their elevating of animals to be on par or higher then human beings. Note that the serpent that mislead eve was cursed as a satirical and sarcastic, so-to-speak middle-finger to the serpent worshiping ancient world. Most of the torah is actually...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 2:34 am

While I fancy myself a Christian, and regularly take my little daughter to church, I am also a believer in evolution. And the fact remains, our closest living relative in the primate world, the Chimpanzee, is omnivorous. It makes total sense that God had always intended us to eat meat as well as vegetables, because that's simply how he made us.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 5:40 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
Hey, I think that if people want to travel in plane, that should be fine, but they should be able to build a plane engine at least once in life.

As your probs know that is quite different. A plane does not suffer in the way an animal does.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 6:11 pm

Quote:
The Bible, Vegetarianism, and a Healthy Lifestyle

Two out of three are healthy for you! Guess which folks!

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

blunnet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 7:19 pm

well, to eat meat you have to kill, if death doesn't exist in paradise (if paradise is real and all that), then everyone in heaven will be vegetarians or vegans.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 7:24 pm

blunnet wrote:
well, to eat meat you have to kill, if death doesn't exist in paradise (if paradise is real and all that), then everyone in heaven will be vegetarians or vegans.

That is, if we do eat in heaven.

blunnet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 7:31 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

"We"? are you sure?

yeah well, one issue is that people had to eat in the garden of eden.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 7:59 pm

blunnet wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

"We"? are you sure?

yeah well, one issue is that people had to eat in the garden of eden.

As a matter of fact, I'm saved by God's freely given grace, earned for me by Christ's death and resurrection. So yes, I'm sure.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 9:48 pm

blunnet wrote:

Are you saying that God cannot create edible medium rare steaks out of Nothing. If God can make the entire world from Nothing, He can make a wonderful steak from Nothing.;

ruveyn

blunnet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2011, 10:35 pm

ruveyn wrote:
blunnet wrote:

Are you saying that God cannot create edible medium rare steaks out of Nothing. If God can make the entire world from Nothing, He can make a wonderful steak from Nothing.;

ruveyn

well, the steak can come from the tortured infidels.