Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 10:23 pm

It happened again. Someone approached me to gain my support for a cause that does not affect or interest me, I told him so, and he became indignant. He tried just about ever appeal that he could think of, his voice raising in pitch and volume until it was almost comical. Finally he demanded to know why I could not have cared less.

"Where were you when I was homeless?", I asked.

Then I described how my life was when I had no home to go to, and how much effort I put into correcting the situation. I also pointed out that churches, relatives, and people that I thought were my friends had all turned me away for any form of assistance.

(I was not trying to be a leech, just trying to find a place to sleep in out of the cold while I looked for a job.)

Anyway, the whole point is that this 'Someone' I mentioned had been in a position to help me out, and had shunned or ignored me each time he saw me during my homeless period. Now he seems to want - no; to expect that I should just hand him a blank check and let him fill in his own amount for his cause. I also told him that he was both figuratively and literally trying to draw on an account that he had never contributed to.

His response began with the words, "You self-righteous, pompous ..." and included some language so foul that I haven't heard it since my military days.

So what's up with all that? Why would someone who never contributed in any way to my well-being - especially when I needed the help the most - why would they feel entitled to the monetary resources that have taken me 20+ years to build up from nothing, and all without his help?

:roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 10:54 pm

And the cause was?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 10:56 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
And the cause was?

... irrelevant.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 11:09 pm

While I can put two and two together and understand why you might react that way, some part of my head is unable to fully get it just because I would not have reacted that way. I have been homeless... lived in a car for awhile... in the winter... spent many mornings waking up and wondering if the pain in my feet was from them being asleep or frost bitten... it sucks. I do not recommend it for the long run. I had people who clearly did not help me, because if they would have, I would have been on their couch or something and not in a car. But I would still give to someone if I thought their cause was worth it. It would not occur to me to say, "No. You did not help me. I will not help you.". But that is just me.

On a completely unrelated side note... nice user name, OP. I had a page somewhere a long time ago and I was fnord14. Heh. One of the people I knew from that site once sent me an email saying something like, "Hey Fnord! I saw your name on a bathroom mirror in a bar in Washington! How the hell did you get there! Hahahahaha!". I told him he was clearly wrong as no one can see the fnords. He did not get the joke. Nine times out of ten, they never get the joke...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 11:14 pm

dossa wrote:
... It would not occur to me to say, "No. You did not help me. I will not help you.". But that is just me.

The very idea that someone who literally turned his back on me when I asked for his help would come around pretending to be friends just to get me to hand over my hard-earned pay makes me feel like vomiting.
dossa wrote:
On a completely unrelated side note... nice user name, OP. I had a page somewhere a long time ago and I was fnord14. Heh. One of the people I knew from that site once sent me an email saying something like, "Hey Fnord! I saw your name on a bathroom mirror in a bar in Washington! How the hell did you get there! Hahahahaha!". I told him he was clearly wrong as no one can see the fnords. He did not get the joke. Nine times out of ten, they never get the joke...

But since you can see me...

:twisted:

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 11:19 pm

Fnord wrote:
dossa wrote:
... It would not occur to me to say, "No. You did not help me. I will not help you.". But that is just me.

The very idea that someone who literally turned his back on me when I asked for his help would come around pretending to be friends just to get me to hand over my hard-earned pay makes me feel like vomiting.
dossa wrote:

Yeah, I am not crazy about people being all nicey nicey to just get something, but if they are like that I generally do not care enough about them to be bothered by them. If their cause is good, that is where my focus lands. My lack of give a damn applies to people I dislike... among other things...

As for my seeing you... well damn. You aren't going to eat me now are you? Heh.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 11:28 pm

dossa wrote:
Fnord wrote:
dossa wrote:

dossa wrote:

dossa wrote:
Yeah, I am not crazy about people being all nicey nicey to just get something, but if they are like that I generally do not care enough about them to be bothered by them. If their cause is good, that is where my focus lands. My lack of give a damn applies to people I dislike... among other things...

Same here. It's just not possible for me to care any less about this former friend or his interests.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 11:38 pm

Fnord wrote:
dossa wrote:
Fnord wrote:
dossa wrote:

dossa wrote:

dossa wrote:

Same here. It's just not possible for me to care any less about this former friend or his interests.

I understand... his 'ook' contaminates his cause. My brain can follow that line of thought. I really do see it. I just do not roll that way, I suppose. But hey, whatever works for you. Sorry the guy made you have such a negative reaction. How does the song go... "I try to be not like that but some people really suck", it is not far off... some people really do suck.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 12:32 am

dossa wrote:
But I would still give to someone if I thought their cause was worth it.

As I read the original post, the original poster did not think the person's cause was worth contributing to.

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 12:37 am

Fnord wrote:
Why would someone who never contributed in any way to my well-being - especially when I needed the help the most - why would they feel entitled to the monetary resources that have taken me 20+ years to build up from nothing, and all without his help?

In my experience, people who feel entitled to things are rarely people who voluntarily help others. People who help others understand that resources for giving are not unlimited, and even when they do ask for help, they understand it may not be available.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 12:41 am

Okay, without any more specifics, this topic is useless. We'll merely be arguing against generalities and lamblasting archetypes. Based on your account, though, I'm against the other guy (considering he knew you when you were homeless), although it really depends on how much money he had at his disposal at the time (i.e. I don't expect single parents living on $9,000 a year to contribute much money to a homeless shelter).

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 2:00 am

Fnord wrote:
So what's up with all that? Why would someone who never contributed in any way to my well-being - especially when I needed the help the most - why would they feel entitled to the monetary resources that have taken me 20+ years to build up from nothing, and all without his help?

Are you sure he even remembers you from before and that he actually did have any kind of "final say" back then as to whether or not you received help from "him"?

Overall, however, I would suspect he has simply never been shown/taught some common-sense consideration and decency.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 4:55 am

Master_Pedant wrote:
Okay, without any more specifics, this topic is useless. We'll merely be arguing against generalities and lamblasting archetypes. Based on your account, though, I'm against the other guy (considering he knew you when you were homeless), although it really depends on how much money he had at his disposal at the time (i.e. I don't expect single parents living on $9,000 a year to contribute much money to a homeless shelter).

Been there. Done that. We were just lucky enough to afford a motel room through the ordeal.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 7:34 am

Fnord wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
And the cause was?

... irrelevant.
If it was you wouldn't be doing such an effort to hide it.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 7:53 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
And the cause was?

... irrelevant.
If it was you wouldn't be doing such an effort to hide it.

Or, an unnecessary distraction from the question at hand was simply being avoided.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 10:35 am

Nah, I am going to go with option 1. "A cause I do not agree with" is significantly longer to type than just mentioning the cause. It is as if the OP would think that his rant would get less sympathy if we knew what was he dissing out. I asked the question because that was the vibe I was getting and refusal to answer it pretty much confirms it. I was just curious why would the OP think that. I would have bought the rant regardless of the cause.

@People asking you for help for a cause you don't believe: Just shut the door and if they keep insisting (most likely they won't ) call the police. Arguments with people that you don't know when you could just stay inside your property are irrelevant and worthless.

I give you one point though. The second the guy said "you self-righteous..." he lost. it is impossible to call someone self-righteous without being self-righteous and a guy complaining about a trait that he himself had is pretty.