Which one has worst entitlement issues?
The copyright cartels 86%  86%  [ 6 ]
The oil industry 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 9:00 pm

As for help, here is an example about the copyright cartels: http://www.boingboing.net/2011/05/10/ur ... ctual.html

Quote:
The Intellectual Property Constituency has asked that, as a condition of Verisign's ongoing management of the .NET top-level domain, that they should be required to act as private copyright cops. Among the IPC's demands are that .NET domains should be subject to suspension on copyright complaints and that anonymous or privacy-shielded .NET domains should be abolished. You can comment on the process by emailing [email protected], but you must do so today.

As for the oil nuts, here is one:
http://stallman.org/archives/2011-mar-j ... by_Mile%29
Quote:
A US official proposed taxing cars by miles driven.

To replace the gas tax (which encourages use of more efficient cars) with a milage tax is in effect a plan to encourage wasting gasoline. I suspect the oil companies are behind it somehow.

It is also an advance in government surveillance, and thus attacks all citizens.

BTW, anyone with hate issues against AS would be able to attack Alex if the copyright cartels get their way with this newest idea they had. Same happens with any private domain that may be subject to haters and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 10:59 pm

I personally don't know what to make of taxing you based on the miles you travel. From what I gather, though this is subject to change as I learn more about it... my first impression has been that everyone paying into a collective pool helps "Subsidize" our affordable way of life. Note that virtually all goods transported use the highway system, and even a majority of services use the highway system. Whether it be a hotel offering a shuttle to the airport, someone transporting beer from a local brewery, fedex ground delivering goods from SFO airport, or a truck carrying a shipment of TV's from the Port of Oakland to a Bestbuy distributor. By having a pool of people WHO ALL DEPEND on these goods and services either for a livelihood. Just because you can bike to work at your local whole foods grocer doesn't mean that you don't benefit from paying taxes into supporting and maintaining our roads.

My premature feelings on the issue is that this is a tax on productivity, and as always, the lower middle class and middle class who don't live in the city, and businesses are the one to take the boot whereas the liberals and the wealthy who live in the city and enjoy the subway and public transit options that taxes on those who drive provide. The city dwellers benefit the most from this, and when you cancel out the uber-wealthy and uber-poor, the income-gaps are still the widest in urban areas, though strangely they vote the same: Democrat. This is true in SF, LA, NY, Chicago, DC, Boston, Seattle, Portland, Etc. Note: There is no large, thriving middle class in any of these cities. Those large cities can shelter this problem fairly easily, but economically speaking, we live in a multi-polar environment where the big city is no longer the huge engine for jobs or growth...

This policy is to support smart-growth policies of greater density and less suburban sprawl(a leftist utopia) and a future where car-use is greatly minimized. Forget that 90% of employment is not easily accessible by public transportation. :roll: The poor move to the suburbs to have a chance at upward mobility and greater opportunities, and this evident by the fact that the greatest employment growth in the past decade came from the suburbs.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 11:44 pm

Your poll is too simple.

What about defense contractors and diploma mills?

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2011, 11:51 pm

Teacher Unions rank up there as well...

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 12:39 am

I'd nominate the auto industry, what with Chrysler getting government bailouts twice over the last few decades.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 2:14 am

MarketAndChurch wrote:

I'll have to agree public service union members.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 8:30 am

blauSamstag wrote:
Your poll is too simple.

What about defense contractors and diploma mills?

Changing "worst" to "worse" in the poll question would address that matter ...

"Which one is the worse-of-these-two entitlement issues?" :wink:

Personally, anything that might subject Alex to unnecessary difficulty would bother me more than having to "pay as you go" on the highway.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 8:33 am

John_Browning wrote:
MarketAndChurch wrote:

I'll have to agree public service union members.

Looters and moochers. That is what they are.

ruveyn

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 12:07 pm

Do you have any idea of the scale of salary cut that I took to return to the public service?

I certainly have a rock solid pension, excellent working conditions and a number of other benefits--but the public service is no place for a looter or a moocher.

There are far richer pickings to be had with far less oversight in the private sector.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 12:12 pm

Generally speaking, the comparatively better salaries of public workers in clerical/low-level roles are because government pays women and minorities more equitably - the upper echleons of the public service get paid considerably worser than private sector jobs requiring similar levels of formal education. Although I doubt ruveyn will internalize these facts as they're hard to put into one of his concise "conventional contrarian wisdom" epithets.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 1:41 pm

European farmers.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 4:16 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Do you have any idea of the scale of salary cut that I took to return to the public service?

I certainly have a rock solid pension, excellent working conditions and a number of other benefits--but the public service is no place for a looter or a moocher.

There are far richer pickings to be had with far less oversight in the private sector.

How many of these government workers could get good work in the private sector? If they could, why are they in the government sector?

ruveyn

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 4:19 pm

ruveyn wrote:
visagrunt wrote:

How many of these government workers could get good work in the private sector? If they could, why are they in the government sector?

ruveyn

For the benefits package and job security.

Duh.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 4:29 pm

Or to aquire unique training / experience that pays more later in the private sector.

High-end lobbyists often make their bones by first working for the government and learning the ropes. High end soldiers get the unique training and then make bigger money doing private security. Once upon a time it was a good route for pilots. And it's still cheaper than flight school.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 4:36 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
European farmers.

Or racist governments who employ colonist resentment as an excuse to racially cleanse their country of white farmers, just to end up giving those farmlands to their family members and the politically connected... like Generals, members of the Judiciary, cousins, and financial supporters of the regime

http://www.mugabeandthewhiteafrican.com/

(Full film available on Netflix)

Last edited by MarketAndChurch on 11 May 2011, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2011, 4:45 pm

MarketAndChurch wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
European farmers.

Or racist governments who employ colonist resentment as an excuse to racially cleanse their country of white farmers, just to end up giving those farmlands to their family members and the politically connected... like Generals, members of the Judiciary, cousins, and financial supporters of the regime

http://www.mugabeandthewhiteafrican.com/

I was talking about farmers actually in Europe.

Of course Mugabe is c**t.