Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

15 May 2011, 6:09 pm

Anything bizarre or disturbing is being posted by a malicious party, who evidently was too stupid to know his IP address 86.6.171.243 was recorded when he hacked into my MSN and requested a password reset.

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 6:13 pm

Good luck getting it sorted out!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 6:14 pm

Bethie wrote:
Anything bizarre or disturbing is being posted by a malicious party, who evidently was too stupid to know his IP address 86.6.171.243 was recorded when he hacked into my MSN and requested a password reset.

If he had hacked into your MSN account (Hotmail, perhaps?), he could have changed your password himself.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

RedHanrahan
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 6:25 pm

Bethie wrote:

Does this mean you can take legal action?

Is it really you posting this? :wink:

good luck, peace j

What vision is left? And is anyone asking?

Have a great day!

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

15 May 2011, 6:25 pm

Fnord wrote:
Bethie wrote:

If he had hacked into your MSN account (Hotmail, perhaps?), he could have changed your password himself.

Yup. That's precisely what happened.

mcg
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 6:32 pm

Even if that is his IP address (rather than a proxy's), you probably don't have the legal resources to get his identity from his ISP. They don't give out their customer's personal information without a subpoena.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 6:36 pm

Bethie wrote:

They are in Lincolnshire, England and their IP hostname is cpc1-linc5-0-0-cust1010.12-1.cable.virginmedia.com. It is a dynamic IP address so the time stamp on that email will be important if you try to track them down.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

15 May 2011, 6:37 pm

Bethie wrote:
his IP address 86.6.171.243
From a block assigned to Virgin Media (formerly NTL) in the UK.
Abuse reports to: www.virginmedia.com/netreport

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

15 May 2011, 6:41 pm

John_Browning wrote:
It is a dynamic IP address so the time stamp on that email will be important if you try to track them down.
Rather better than that - Virgin use 'sticky' IP addresses, in that the IP rarely changes and is practically static, even between cable modem reboots. (reported elsewhere, and confirmed by a nephew who is a Virgin Media user)

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 6:45 pm

Strident Atheists of WP, can you accept as your representative someone who fails to take adequate steps to maintain a secure online identity? What is to stop Bethie's vulnerable account from being hacked again, allowing a malicious party to undermine the WrongPlanet Strident Atheists? Vote for the kind of security that only a Big Brother can offer you. Vote ORWELL for most strident atheist.

(OK, Bethie, sorry for the joke at your expense, but we are in campaign mode and that means mudslinging at any opportunity :P If you are not comfortable with such teasing, let me know and I will desist; it is not intended in actual malice)

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 6:51 pm

Orwell wrote:
it is ... intended in actual malice)

People of WP, would you actually vote for somebody who would write things "intended in actual malice"? I know I would not, and I think that the issue here is clear. Don't vote for a candidate motivated by spite, but instead, vote for the candidate that brings positive values such as awesomeness and gloriousness. I think everybody here knows who I am talking about.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 6:54 pm

LOL you guys are killing me

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 6:56 pm

Bethie wrote:
Anything bizarre or disturbing is being posted by a malicious party

So... how long has this been going on? :P

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 6:58 pm

What the f*ck, Orwell?! ! Identity theft is no laughing matter.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 7:00 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Orwell wrote:
it is ... intended in actual malice)

People of WP, would you actually vote for somebody who would write things "intended in actual malice"? I know I would not, and I think that the issue here is clear. Don't vote for a candidate motivated by spite, but instead, vote for the candidate that brings positive values such as awesomeness and gloriousness. I think everybody here knows who I am talking about.

Malice Beforethought topic

No consensus amongst atheists. :P Especially in campaign mode.

And to Bethie: This hacking IS serious. I just told my son about intruders, and told him to watch out when he does his social thing on MSN. 8O

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2011, 7:33 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
What the f*ck, Orwell?! ! Identity theft is no laughing matter.

Yeah, exactly, for some people, like M_P, it's how they make their living! :P