Page 1 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 9:54 am

Are there any verses of the Bible that you draw a meaning from that an NT might not? By way of example, I link Mt 7:23 ("I will say to them, 'Away from me, I do not know you'") together with Gal 3:27 ("All of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.") - the Christian "clothing" we wear is what enables God to know us. But that's a connection only someone who's face-blind would draw. Anyone else have something of the sort?

Whenever the day is done."

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 9:59 am

Natty_Boh wrote:
Are there any verses of the Bible that you draw a meaning from that an NT might not? By way of example, I link Mt 7:23 ("I will say to them, 'Away from me, I do not know you'") together with Gal 3:27 ("All of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.") - the Christian "clothing" we wear is what enables God to know us. But that's a connection only someone who's face-blind would draw. Anyone else have something of the sort?

Sort of. When I was little, I heard the phrase "it would be easier for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle than it would be for a rich man to get into heaven." I assumed they literally meant a sewing needle.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 10:00 am

Kohelth 12:13

"The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God, and keep His commandments; for that is all there is for Man"

In short, live by the Rules.

ruveyn

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 10:33 am

Captaintrips### -

That IS what it means. The "let's not diss the rich man" interpretations are weaseling. There is evidence from outside.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 10:35 am

The Bible repeatedly says that there are multiple gods, that the God of Abraham is one of MANY that exist. I am not refering to idols, either, but actual gods. I always wonder why no one else seems to have picked up on this.
Further, Jesus himself says that people are also gods. 8O Never heard that coming from a pulpit.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 10:40 am

Natty Boh:

If that heading had come from Master Jedi, would I have looked?

I will have to think about it.

I know that my take on a lot of verses is radically different from any of the ennea-1 NT dominated norms, and I know that a lot of my "special" verses are unpopular ones resonate with my brain - but I am not sure of the factors. I'll get back to you.

For the present, one of the to me key points:

in Revelation 10 - I do KJV by preference -And the angel which I saw stand upon the sea and upon the earth lifted up his hand to heaven, And sware by him that liveth for ever and ever, who created heaven, and the things that therein are, and the earth, and the things that therein are, and the sea, and the things which are therein, that there should be time no longer:

Mainstream minds including the "interpret literally except where our tradition says not to" people - you know, the ones who diss Catholics for looking to Tradition - seem to need to qweasel out of that one. I see it very important to take it literally, especially as that makes Revelation make a lot more sense.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 10:55 am

^^ When I picture that scenario, I picture everything frozen in place. Do you think that's what's meant, or would things continue to move and function in the absence of time? How would that work?

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 11:01 am

Philologos wrote:
Captaintrips### -

That IS what it means. The "let's not diss the rich man" interpretations are weaseling. There is evidence from outside.

Wait, what? I'm talking about the needle part. Needle refers to a narrow pass; a geological structure. Not a sewing needle.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 11:04 am

YippySkippy wrote:
^^ When I picture that scenario, I picture everything frozen in place. Do you think that's what's meant, or would things continue to move and function in the absence of time? How would that work?

As for what goes on outside the universe [which I postulate we join when time winds down here], I am a fish trying to imagine conditions on a dune in the Sahara - we are limited in what we can imagine by what we know, more than some might think. Best I can figure is random access - right now we have to play the tape sequentially, we canniot move the head to any site on the disk,

But internal to Revelation, I see it as a signal to the reader - STOP trying to fit the passages into a timeline, we are seeing the same event from different persepectives ansd seeimng events in dream order, very randomized.

Most try to fit a time line narrative, and it gets very messy.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 11:06 am

Quote:
When I was little, I heard the phrase "it would be easier for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle than it would be for a rich man to get into heaven." I assumed they literally meant a sewing needle.

Philologos wrote:
Captaintrips### -

No, no, no, and it was my Aspie mind that drove me to actually discover some sense in all of that:

Both the "rich man" and the camel actually could get in through "the eye of a needle" (an emergency gate for night use) if the worldly goods were first unloaded and left outside -- "Go sell all your goods and feed the poor" -- and both camel and "rich man" were willing to come in on their knees (through such a small opening).

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 11:23 am

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
Philologos wrote:
Captaintrips### -

Wait, what? I'm talking about the needle part. Needle refers to a narrow pass; a geological structure. Not a sewing needle.

Some modern preachers, who have made piles of money with their preaching, have reinterpretted the passage to mean a geological structure, to make it appear that rich men can still squeeze into heaven, like a camel can get through this geologic structure if he tries hard enough.

The original meaning is, yes, a sewing needle. And, a rich swindling preacher still has no better chance of getting into Heaven than a camel does going through the eye of a sewing needle.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 11:31 am

pandabear wrote:
CaptainTrips222 wrote:
Philologos wrote:
Captaintrips### -

Some modern preachers, who have made piles of money with their preaching, have reinterpreted the passage to mean a geological structure ...

Interpretation is not what we are seeking here. We are seeking what had first actually been conveyed.

pandabear wrote:
The original meaning is, yes, a sewing needle.

No, that is just an earlier interpretation made by people who also did not understand what had first actually been conveyed.

Edit:

Quote:
And see, one came and said to YahuShua, “... what good shall I do to have everlasting life?”
And He said to him, “... guard the commands ... [and] If you wish to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven. And come, follow Me.”
And when the young man heard the word, he went away sad, because he had many possessions.
And YahuShua said to His taught ones, “Truly, I say to you that it is hard for a rich man to enter into the reign of the heavens ...

Note: Nothing impossible there ...

And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter into the reign of Elohim.”

Note: The camel cares nothing about having to leave its unloaded goods behind in order to enter.

And when His taught ones heard it, they were very astonished, saying, “Who then is able to be saved?”
And looking intently YahuShua said to them, “With men this is impossible, but with Elohim all is possible

[including causing a rich man to willingly leaves his goods behind (just like the camel).”

(Matthew 19:16-26)

Last edited by leejosepho on 26 May 2011, 11:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 11:36 am

leejosepho wrote:

pandabear wrote:

No, that is just an earlier interpretation made by people who also did not understand what had first actually been conveyed.

Or so your wealthy preacher would like you to think.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 11:41 am

Here is another version

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_a_needle

Quote:
Some translators have believed that the Greek word for camel (kamilos) is an error and should really be kamêlos, meaning "rope or cable." The imagery of a thick rope is obviously apt, and turns an otherwise bizarre metaphor into a more likely expression. The "rope" version is found in a few modern and medieval (10th and 11th century) New Testament manuscripts, although the "camel" expression is found in earlier non-scriptural Christian writings. Regardless, the meaning of the saying is the same: it is literally impossible to thread either a rope or a camel through the eye of a needle.

Either way, the meaning of the metaphor is clear: it is literally impossible for a rich man to enter Heaven.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 11:41 am

pandabear wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
pandabear wrote:

Or so your wealthy preacher would like you to think.

Not true -- I heard that from a poor man ...

... and please see my edit just above.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 11:43 am

pandabear wrote:
... the meaning of the metaphor is clear: it is literally impossible for a rich man to enter Heaven.

Then you call YahuShua a liar when he says this:

"“Truly, I say to you that it is hard for a rich man to enter into the reign of the heavens ... "

??

Edit note: Above "??" has been added as a correction of actual intent here.

Last edited by leejosepho on 27 May 2011, 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.