Page 7 of 11 [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

psychohist
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 9:44 pm

Sand wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
I tend to agree that Obama has done very little to advance the prospect of poor, black people. I don't know why, people already call him a racist.

Color-blindness would work if actually applied in hiring and housing, but no one can enforce it. In discussion and dialogue, where we could productively acknowledge color as an issue, color-blindness gets enforced easily.

Obama, like Clarence Thomas, is what is called an Oreo. Because he has done so little for blacks who have highly disproportionate problems with jobs, housing, incarceration he is, in fact, a racist, but not that type of racist assumed.

I think you're mistaken in the case of Thomas.

It's true that Thomas is rather strict on criminal convicts, and I suppose that could be seen as anti-black, given that a disproportionate number of criminal convicts are black. However, from the perspective of law abiding blacks who live in poor neighborhoods - a group that liberal whites sometimes seem to forget exist - it makes sense. Law abiding blacks in poor neighborhoods are disproportionately the victims of crime, and being harsh on convicted criminals actually helps the law abiding black community.

It's to be noted that in cases where constraints on liberty could - perhaps likely would - disproportionately affect blacks, Thomas has ruled in favor of suspects. For example, Thomas joined a 5-4 majority overruling New York v Belton, which allowed a complete search of a vehicle irrespective of probable cause when an occupant of the vehicle was arrested, restricting any such search to situations where the suspect might be able to grab a weapon from the vehicle. Thomas has also written that mandatory factors affecting the length of a sentence should be heard by a jury, rather than being decided just by a judge; he didn't cite race as an issue, but it's certainly true that a judge's decision could more easily be affected by subconscious racial prejudice.

Obama is pretty easy to explain in this respect: he probably by default imagines blacks as being like himself, upper middle class beneficiaries of affirmative action. He's therefore worked to maintain policies that benefit such affluent blacks, while doing nothing for poor inner city blacks.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 10:12 pm

psychohist wrote:
Sand wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
I tend to agree that Obama has done very little to advance the prospect of poor, black people. I don't know why, people already call him a racist.

Color-blindness would work if actually applied in hiring and housing, but no one can enforce it. In discussion and dialogue, where we could productively acknowledge color as an issue, color-blindness gets enforced easily.

Obama, like Clarence Thomas, is what is called an Oreo. Because he has done so little for blacks who have highly disproportionate problems with jobs, housing, incarceration he is, in fact, a racist, but not that type of racist assumed.

I think you're mistaken in the case of Thomas.

It's true that Thomas is rather strict on criminal convicts, and I suppose that could be seen as anti-black, given that a disproportionate number of criminal convicts are black. However, from the perspective of law abiding blacks who live in poor neighborhoods - a group that liberal whites sometimes seem to forget exist - it makes sense. Law abiding blacks in poor neighborhoods are disproportionately the victims of crime, and being harsh on convicted criminals actually helps the law abiding black community.

It's to be noted that in cases where constraints on liberty could - perhaps likely would - disproportionately affect blacks, Thomas has ruled in favor of suspects. For example, Thomas joined a 5-4 majority overruling New York v Belton, which allowed a complete search of a vehicle irrespective of probable cause when an occupant of the vehicle was arrested, restricting any such search to situations where the suspect might be able to grab a weapon from the vehicle. Thomas has also written that mandatory factors affecting the length of a sentence should be heard by a jury, rather than being decided just by a judge; he didn't cite race as an issue, but it's certainly true that a judge's decision could more easily be affected by subconscious racial prejudice.

Obama is pretty easy to explain in this respect: he probably by default imagines blacks as being like himself, upper middle class beneficiaries of affirmative action. He's therefore worked to maintain policies that benefit such affluent blacks, while doing nothing for poor inner city blacks.

I am not that familiar with Thomas' work but I do know that he feels insulted by some of the advantages granted to blacks as a result of the terrible discrimination against them in the past and continuing in many ways into the present keeping them from earning a decent living or getting a good education. Blacks in general, because they ave been segregated, have developed a cultural difference from whites which incorporates their general poverty and crime is frequently the only alternative poor people in general, both black and white, have to gain some sort of survivable income. This does not excuse crime, but merely notes how it proliferates.Thomas, by what I have read about him, is deeply associated with those conservative elements in society that are systematically raping the nation in extraordinary devious and frequently illegal ways. Obama is so blatantly a tool of Wall Street and the wealthy elite that I wonder that so many hopeful supporters can be so blind.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 10:17 pm

Thomas has tried to do more for marijuana legalization than Obama has, as well.

I've never had a lecture on American racial politics from a Finn, but that's cool. I agree that Obama has not done enough to distinguish his administration from the prior one, but the ship of state takes a long time to turn. Have you seen the British comedy Yes, Minister?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 10:27 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Thomas has tried to do more for marijuana legalization than Obama has, as well.

I've never had a lecture on American racial politics from a Finn, but that's cool. I agree that Obama has not done enough to distinguish his administration from the prior one, but the ship of state takes a long time to turn. Have you seen the British comedy Yes, Minister?

I was born in Manhattan and spent my first 40 years in and off as a New Yorker. I find Helsinki much quieter and more congenial.
I don't have TV anymore as I found watching people eating cockroaches for money destroyed my appetite. But I did enjoy "Yes Minister".

The ship of state appears to be sinking faster than it can turn.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 10:35 pm

Sand wrote:
The ship of state appears to be sinking faster than it can turn.

:lol: Oh, I sure hope not.

Kucinich won't run, dammit.

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 4:07 am

Sand wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

Oreo is a term used by jacka$$ and racists(of a special sort) to compel men to act as they wish on the basis of race. He has no obligations to anyone on the basis of skin color, he is not a racist for his lack of involvement with poor black people and neither is any other politician.(although there are probably some who are racist) But a lack of involvement or help towards a group that shares your skin color is not enough to label someone racist.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 4:30 am

ikorack wrote:
Sand wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

Oreo is a term used by jacka$$ and racists(of a special sort) to compel men to act as they wish on the basis of race. He has no obligations to anyone on the basis of skin color, he is not a racist for his lack of involvement with poor black people and neither is any other politician.(although there are probably some who are racist) But a lack of involvement or help towards a group that shares your skin color is not enough to label someone racist.

You have to be blind or totally ignorant to not acknowledge that Obama has the black vote sewed up because of his color. These people trusted him to be their leader in their interest. He has ignored them.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 7:28 am

I agree that "oreo" is a racist term.
It implies that there is a certain type of personality or outlook that only whites can/should have.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 7:59 am

YippySkippy wrote:
I agree that "oreo" is a racist term.
It implies that there is a certain type of personality or outlook that only whites can/should have.

Not quite. An Oreo is a sandwich of two chocolate cookies with a white filling. The reference is to a black man with white attitudes towards blacks. To not be conscious of white prejudices towards blacks is a mental lack approaching dementia.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 8:10 am

There is no "white attitude" towards blacks. The idea that all people of a certain race think the same is an example of racism.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 8:19 am

YippySkippy wrote:
There is no "white attitude" towards blacks. The idea that all people of a certain race think the same is an example of racism.

Amazing!! !! !! !

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 8:22 am

YippySkippy wrote:

Then why does the term "Oriole" have such currency among a set of black folks?

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 8:34 am

ruveyn wrote:
YippySkippy wrote:

ruveyn

An oriole is a bird. An Oreo is a cookie.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 8:42 am

Sand wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
YippySkippy wrote:

ruveyn

An oriole is a bird. An Oreo is a cookie.

Meant Oreo and the question stands.

ruveyn

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 8:52 am

Belief does not make something real universally. Everyone please stop acting obtuse.

Oh wait, I forgot I was online.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 9:20 am

jrjones9933 wrote:
Belief does not make something real universally. Everyone please stop acting obtuse.

Oh wait, I forgot I was online.

Reality is ephemeral and elusive.