What is love within the theory of darwinism?

Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 8:44 am

ruveyn wrote:
love is an ill-defined concept therefore it is not succeptable to a scientific analysis.

ruveyn

WHICH is why I have said we need to define the concepts. "red" is an ill defined concept until you do the work of getting subjects from various cultures to draw lines on the spectrum.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 8:48 am

Philologos wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
love is an ill-defined concept therefore it is not succeptable to a scientific analysis.

ruveyn

WHICH is why I have said we need to define the concepts. "red" is an ill defined concept until you do the work of getting subjects from various cultures to draw lines on the spectrum.

"red" can be defined by example. Point to an object you think is red. Keep a record on what people regard as "red". Eventually a spectrum analysis will pin it down pretty well.

ruveyn

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 8:50 am

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Not all analysis is scientific.

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 8:53 am

dionysian wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Not all analysis is scientific.

Anything not scientific is either stamp collecting, tiddly winks or utter blather.

ruveyn

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 8:56 am

ruveyn wrote:
Anything not scientific is either stamp collecting, tiddly winks or utter blather.

ruveyn

Where do you get this silly idea? It seems absurd to discount the entire realm of human experience and accumulated knowledge, save for that acquired by some arbitrary specific methodology.

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 8:58 am

dionysian wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Where do you get this silly idea? It seems absurd to discount the entire realm of human experience and accumulated knowledge, save for that acquired by some arbitrary specific methodology.

You miss the point. The scientific method is rigorously fact based. It deals with things as the are, not as we would wish them to be.

ruveyn

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 9:03 am

ruveyn wrote:
dionysian wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

You miss the point. The scientific method is rigorously fact based. It deals with things as the are, not as we would wish them to be.

ruveyn

It also deals exclusively with phenomena subject to scientific analysis. Unquestionably this is a vanishingly small fragment of reality. It can tell us some bland facts about matter, but it can hardly tell us why things matter... or why matter is... or what's the matter...

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 9:06 am

dionysian wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
dionysian wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

ruveyn

It also deals exclusively with phenomena subject to scientific analysis. Unquestionably this is a vanishingly small fragment of reality. It can tell us some bland facts about matter, but it can hardly tell us why things matter... or why matter is... or what's the matter...

We live and die with the "blind facts" If you are looking for Purpose go to church. If you are looking for facts go to a laboratory.

ruveyn

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 9:08 am

Bland facts.

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 9:09 am

dionysian wrote:
Bland facts.

We live and die according to "bland facts". Purpose is in your head. Facts are Out There in the world.

ruveyn

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 9:12 am

ruveyn wrote:
dionysian wrote:
Bland facts.

We live and die according to "bland facts". Purpose is in your head. Facts are Out There in the world.

ruveyn

We live and die by the government's tenuous ability to keep us all from killing each other, as well. Yet that is hardly a scientific matter.

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 9:14 am

dionysian wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
dionysian wrote:
Bland facts.

ruveyn

We live and die by the government's tenuous ability to keep us all from killing each other, as well. Yet that is hardly a scientific matter.

The bullets and knives and bombs and poison gas and the fact that they are fatal is the Ultimate Fact.

ruveyun

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 9:16 am

ruveyn wrote:
dionysian wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
dionysian wrote:
Bland facts.

ruveyn

The bullets and knives and bombs and poison gas and the fact that they are fatal is the Ultimate Fact.

ruveyun

We don't need science to tell us that the default state of living is poor, nasty, brutish, and short.

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL

dionysian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 9:19 am

dionysian wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
dionysian wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
dionysian wrote:
Bland facts.

ruveyn

ruveyun

We don't need science to tell us that the default state of living is poor, nasty, brutish, and short.

And frankly, science can't confirm this... unless we are to test it out once again.

ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 9:27 am

dionysian wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
dionysian wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
dionysian wrote:
Bland facts.

ruveyn

ruveyun

That is a true statement empirically corroberated by most historical accounts. It might not be physics, but it is fact based.

I put that fact under the heading --- stamp collecting.

ruveyn

b9
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2011, 10:17 am

Quote:
What is love within the theory of darwinism?

love is everywhere. all the cows that suckle their calves, and the sheep that suckle their lambs, and the mares that suckle their foals would risk their lives to protect the life of their children.

i have limited ideas about "love". my psychiatrist told my parents (and i believe what she said) that my depth of love will never develop beyond what a child feels for their pets.

but that is still love, and it is all prevailing. i very much want the animals i know and tammy to have a happy life because i know them and i love them.

how does that wire into evolution?

in the agricultural age, people and their dwellings coalesced into clusters that require a different set of advantages to prevail in than did the neolithic period preceding it.

in the "hunter gatherer nomadic" era, "love" was not necessary (i would presume) because it was the "alpha" male that had possession of all the "ladies" that clung to him to suckle nutrition from his conquests. they would have all desired to have his children because he was a very able securer and provider, and that would have made them "horny" for him because they would desire in their bellies, replicas of him.

in the agricultural age and beyond, people are expected to have some sort of speciality. they should be either food makers(farmers), bread makers (value adders) or tool makers or brick makers or even candlestick makers. personal value became assigned to contributive quantity.

some people are unable to contribute because of some weakness, but they are lovable people anyway i think. people that make the world a better place just by existing.

the personal attribute of "conviction to ones beliefs", and "protection of weaker and more beautiful things" comes from the attribute of love, and without it, the weaker things would perish asunder and after a while, only the super strong would stomp the earth, and they would annihilate each other when they crossed paths, or else they would inbreed and suffer a genetic demolition when the pathogen that orders them to be served up for dinner starts to dine upon them.

i think it is time for bed and i have not answered your question to my satisfaction,
but goodnight anyway.