mass, energy, gravity, space, time and math.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Jitro
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 5:38 pm

Can we perceive these things directly? I'd say we can't. We can only perceive them indirectly. We have no senses to directly perceive these things.

Last edited by Jitro on 29 Jul 2012, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Jul 2012, 6:53 pm

I can perceive light energy and heat energy and kinetic energy and sound energy (I'd like to know what you think we can perceive directly if not these things). Potential energy is difficult.

I can directly perceive gravity, I can feel it pulling on me.

We have spatial awareness.

We can perceive the passing of time even whilst locked in a box without a clock, we can't perceive it in an absolute manner though,

Maths doesn't have the same kind of existence that those things do, it needs to be deduced. It doesn't really fit with the others though, you may as well ask why we can't perceive literature.

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 11:06 pm

Perceive, I don't know.

Understand, I would say so.

At least, our primitive understanding of space is wrong already, so that's a start. To explain, save for science, I would understand space and matter as full. Space is a three-dimensional manifold full of matter, and matter itself is full -- full of wood, full of plastic, metal, etc., or full of air if there isn't anything, or even full of nothingness if I am in space or something. That has been proven wrong, but I only know it's wrong intellectually and because I am told it is. "Knowing" that there are atom and electrons and things even "smaller" does not alter my experience of either space nor matter in any way, but I would say that there is a fundamental difference between my practical understanding and what "really is".