Any other self-described anarcho-existentialist peak oilers?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

thegatekeeper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Dec 2011, 11:45 pm

Nice to know I'm not alone, especially as a female awash in a sea of hypocritical religious fanatics intent on maintaining the status quo who would damn me to hell if I revealed this aspect of my true self to them...

Anyone interested in sustainable living without the use of fossil fuels please PM me...

Abgal64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Dec 2011, 3:22 am

Peak oil is a reality and denying it is a ridiculous conspiracy theory. I personally say that, though many sources should be used to power the world for the foreseeable future, nuclear power should take the lead for its high energy capacity, reliability, relatively well-developed technology and cleanliness. I support massive building projects of advanced uranium reactors in the short term and from then on use the safer and more abundant thorium in reactors until we break even with fusion power or develop enough launch capacity for widespread space-based solar power.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2011, 7:34 am

Abgal64 wrote:
Peak oil is a reality and denying it is a ridiculous conspiracy theory. I personally say that, though many sources should be used to power the world for the foreseeable future, nuclear power should take the lead for its high energy capacity, reliability, relatively well-developed technology and cleanliness. I support massive building projects of advanced uranium reactors in the short term and from then on use the safer and more abundant thorium in reactors until we break even with fusion power or develop enough launch capacity for widespread space-based solar power.

Who cares? We have peak coal and peak natural gas through fracking. O.K. it might be a bit unhealthy drinking water filled with methane bubbles, but who says life is easy..

I support thorium reactors. But I will live with uranium breeder reactors.

We will never have fusion. It is a vain hope. The only fusion power we can count on comes from the sun. In the little time we have left we should do serious work on reducing the population so we will be able to get by on slim rations in the future.

ruveyn

johansen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jan 2012, 4:22 pm

So far everyone I know attempting to live sustainable lifestyles has solar panels on their roof and half a ton of lead acid batteries, a pure sine inverter to run their laptop, ham radio repeater, etc.. etc. all of which never would have been invented if everyone lived a sustainable lifestyle.
Aluminum is more expensive than silver.. when you have to make potassium, calcium or sodium by thermal methods to reduce the oxide. Please clarify your definition of sustainable lifestyle.

thegatekeeper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jan 2012, 8:26 pm

Primarily self-sufficient (earth construction with efficient/well-insulated design, smaller, south facing windows)...

Things that are not technically sustainable are planning on using repurposed glass for greenhouses (difficult to make large panes large scale) and parabolic mirrors for sunlight redirection.

Windmills for modest electricity usage. Anaerobic digestor for human waste.. winter greenhouses heated with decomposing goat/yak manure, etc... no solar panels unless we happened upon some free ones and even then we would still build the windmill infrastructure.

Plan on living next to large fresh body of water and starting vegetable-based, permaculture farm...a lot of energy (human and otherwise) to initiate, but little energy to keep going once established

We do plan on scavenging materials from the world at large, especially at first, but hope to transition to natural, low-energy/no-energy materials that are completely free