Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 7:04 pm

If the shooter had been a liberal activist or Muslim, would the media try to cover that up and claim that his reasons for the shooting are a big mystery or would they parade his beliefs in front of as many people as possible the way they have with his Christian and right-wing views?

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

dok
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jul 2011, 7:13 pm

John considering everyone in the MSM has been indulging in a guessing game about Oslo your point is irrelevant. We all do it, even though we should all know better.

btw Right-wing, christian? this is guy is on the far right.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... s-killings

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 7:16 pm

His views are what they are. There is no shortage of coverage of Islamic terrorism. Early on they were guessing this was also Islamic terrorism. A reasonable guess in my view.

Right wing terrorism happens. Abortion bombings, the Olympic bombings, Tim McVeigh's anti-tax militia paranoia and iirc even the Unabomber hated leftists in addition to science and technology.

I think they'll also find that, like Tim McVeigh, this guy was not doing well with women.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 7:20 pm

MSM would be ....?

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 7:23 pm

Philologos wrote:
MSM would be ....?

MainStream Media.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

dok
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jul 2011, 7:24 pm

Mainstream Media -MSM

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 7:44 pm

I don't think the mainstream media is covering anything up but the shooters views are not Christian. Christianity does not teach that violence is the only thing that our enemies understand and to respond to a threat of terrorism with even more terrorism is simply not Christian. But that seems to be the conventional response and now we are stuck with endless wars in Iraq and Afghanistan with the result being that not on single nuclear bomb in the Mideast has been dismantled.

Rather than relying on endless wars and individual acts of counter terrorism I propose that pent up Islamic energies be redirected to peaceful manned mission to Mars. This would be a more glorious achievement for them and would be an infinitely better way of getting rid of their nukes than armed confrontation.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2011, 9:28 pm

An interesting proposition - but what is there in Islamic thought or in the aspirations of individual Islamic majority states that would move them in such a direction?

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 12:35 am

John_Browning wrote:
If the shooter had been a liberal activist or Muslim, would the media try to cover that up and claim that his reasons for the shooting are a big mystery or would they parade his beliefs in front of as many people as possible the way they have with his Christian and right-wing views?

No.

Next question.

(PS: Don't tell the guy Fox News is MSM by every measure)

Quote:
I don't think the mainstream media is covering anything up but the shooters views are not Christian

He calls himself that. Oh yes, if "he were a true Christian he wouldn't be doing this". but why doesn't this excuse work for Muslims when the media is covering frenzy from their extremists?

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 12:43 am

Well first of all affordable technologies to get us to Mars have existed for 50 years but since this requires the detonation of 1000 atomic bombs to propel the rocket either nobody has been crazy enough to do it or the environmentalists simply won't let us do it. Islamic countries on the otherhand believe in martyrdom so there is no deterrence to the detonation of atomic bombs. Once Islamic countries discover that a manned Martian mission is within their reach they will soon realize that gaining Mars as the ultimate high ground will be infinitely more glorious than a nuclear war with Israel.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 11:08 am

Because terrorism is the use of violence by non-state agents to give effect to a political agenda, the essential component of any act of terror is to ensure that the political agenda of the actor is pronounced. It mattes not whether that agenda is getting Americans out of Saudi, getting Israelis out of the West Bank, getting the FBI and IRS out of individuals lives, getting Sinhalese out of Sri Lanka, getting the British out of Ulster, or the Anglophones out of Québec, there is no lack of political agenda to be backed up by violence.

The Red Army Faction (Baader-Meinhof), the FLQ and the Red Brigade were all most assuredly leftist or extreme leftist, terrorist organizations. There is a strong case to be made that the PLO and the IRA were both leftist--at least to the extent that their stronger antagonists were the right wing parties in the United Kingdom and Israel, respectively. We know the politics of all of these organizations. Let us not forget the ANC which was, for many years, a terrorist organization, and demonstrated strong leftist leadings. Their beliefs were paraded out for all to see when they took terrorist actions.

Now, I will grant you that these are terrorist organizations rather than individuals who acted, essentially, alone. But what of Nidal Hasan? After the Fort Hood shootings, his beliefs were trotted out for all to see. (Indeed, to the extent that is has called into question whether he was a terrorist in the first place).

I will certainly agree with you that the editorial position of a publisher will have an impact on how the views of such a person are presented. But I do not think that they affect whether those views will be presented.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 11:55 am

visagrunt wrote:
The Red Army Faction (Baader-Meinhof), the FLQ and the Red Brigade were all most assuredly leftist or extreme leftist, terrorist organizations.

I agree. All were extremist groups that used violence and terror.

visagrunt wrote:
There is a strong case to be made that the PLO and the IRA were both leftist--at least to the extent that their stronger antagonists were the right wing parties in the United Kingdom and Israel, respectively.

Nonsense. Those were independence movements that represented particular nations (Irish, Palestinian) against other nations (England, Israel) who are occupiers. Any left-wing/right-wing dynamics is orders of magnitude less important than the basic conflict. Some feminists want to see those conflicts in terms of a rejection of the patriarchy, but again, nonsense.

Last edited by monty on 25 Jul 2011, 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

25 Jul 2011, 12:21 pm

Hes a christian terrorist. that guy that killed the abortion doctor is a christian terrorist because of his religious views about abortion

The problem is religion gentleman. once we outlaw it, nobody will have a "reason" to kill based on some invisible dietys "rules and regulations, for living on planet earth."

they'll just find other reasons to kill people. wich will seem silly, and by popular culture make murder taboo

:wink:

In all seriousness, it goes both ways. and probably up and down. Nature is unpredictable

monty
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2011, 12:36 pm

Ah, but he was a strange sort of Christian - a secular or cultural one. He did not seem to believe in doctrines related to God or religion, he merely saw the Church as a social institution that was good for people. In his manifesto, he talked much more about canon law and Nietzsche than about scripture. He wanted Christian Churches on every corner, but I don't think he wanted to go into them for worship. I think it was part of his need to belong to something, to have a white/European/Christian/conservative identity.