Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

dizzywater
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 3 Feb 2012
Age: 50
Gender: Female
Posts: 275
Location: sitting by the computer

17 Mar 2012, 3:37 am

I always got confused about why God would test people when if you believe He created you then he must know the capabilities that he "programmed" into you, so why test people when he knows how they work?

Maybe we are like a big computer game being played out by beings beyond our comprehension who created us for their amusement either as a game or as an experiment. That is the closest to a belief in God I can get to!

What do you think God's purpose was in creating us?



Last edited by dizzywater on 17 Mar 2012, 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2008
Age: 84
Gender: Male
Posts: 31,502
Location: New Jersey

17 Mar 2012, 3:41 am

dizzywater wrote:
I always got confused about why God would test people when if you believe He created you then he must know the capabilities that he "programmed" into you, so why test people when he knows how they work?

Maybe we are like a big computer game being played out by beings beyond our comprehension who created us for their amusement either as a game or as an experiment. That is the closest to a belief in God I can get to!

What do you think God's purpose was in creating us?


What is the Purpose of an accident, a glitch, a blip? And why do you think there have to be purposes? Just because you have purposes does not mean the rest of the universe runs on purposes.

ruveyn



Last edited by ruveyn on 17 Mar 2012, 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dizzywater
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 3 Feb 2012
Age: 50
Gender: Female
Posts: 275
Location: sitting by the computer

17 Mar 2012, 4:29 am

ruveyn wrote:
That is the Purpose of an accident, a glitch, a blip? And why do you think there have to be purposes? Just because you have purposes does not mean the rest of the universe runs on purposes.

ruveyn


I think that is why people believe in god, because it gives their lives "purpose".

I'm asking what they think the purpose of the proposed creator is.

I am not saying there has to be an actual purpose, I am asking people who do believe in such a purpose what they think that purpose is.



donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,981

17 Mar 2012, 4:33 am

Personally I think the Universe is its own purpose. Our purpose is simply to experience the things in the Universe.



dizzywater
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 3 Feb 2012
Age: 50
Gender: Female
Posts: 275
Location: sitting by the computer

17 Mar 2012, 4:38 am

donnie_darko wrote:
Personally I think the Universe is its own purpose.


So do you think purpose is the same as matter, in the same way as energy is?



donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,981

17 Mar 2012, 4:41 am

dizzywater wrote:
donnie_darko wrote:
Personally I think the Universe is its own purpose.


So do you think purpose is the same as matter, in the same way as energy is?


No, not so much. What I mean is, I think the material world and the spiritual world are two sides of the same coin. Two different aspects of the same thing.



dizzywater
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 3 Feb 2012
Age: 50
Gender: Female
Posts: 275
Location: sitting by the computer

17 Mar 2012, 5:02 am

I find I can't rule out a purpose or an unknown reason while something like 95% of the universe is composed of dark matter and dark energy that isn't "dark" so much as just completely unknown. Could be anything, but is definately something.

It certainly allows for there being a lot more on the "other side of the coin", the side we can't interact with scientifically.



NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2009
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 675

17 Mar 2012, 5:16 am

dizzywater wrote:
I find I can't rule out a purpose or an unknown reason while something like 95% of the universe is composed of dark matter and dark energy that isn't "dark" so much as just completely unknown. Could be anything, but is definately something.

It certainly allows for there being a lot more on the "other side of the coin", the side we can't interact with scientifically.


I think we will solve the issue of dark matter once we isolate the cause of gravity. The only reason we think there is dark matter is because we can detect the effects of gravity, but cannot seem to locate where it is all coming from. Basically, we only suspect there is dark matter because we can detect gravity. But from whence comes gravity(specifically)?

I've personally speculated the possibility that gravity is simply a property of space, and matter can only form in points in space that have higher gravity, but don't necessarily have to...or that maybe the dark matter is areas where there is a high volume of diffused weaker gravity points (too weak to allow for matter to accumulate). I'm certainly not qualified to make claims of this nature, but I do speculate on it from time to time. It's certainly an interesting field of inquiry.


_________________
I am Ignostic.
Go ahead and define god, with universal acceptance of said definition.
I'll wait.


dizzywater
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 3 Feb 2012
Age: 50
Gender: Female
Posts: 275
Location: sitting by the computer

17 Mar 2012, 6:39 am

Thats an interesting thought that gravity might just be in the space and coincide with where matter is rather than being caused by matter.
But if that were the case then wouldn't all the places where matter can potentially be have unchanged gravity whether or not they actually contain the matter at that time?
Maybe thats your point about the possible source of all the extra gravity, except that gravity has direction to it so I don't really understand.
Interesting thought though.



aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Sep 2008
Age: 58
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,448
Location: denmark

17 Mar 2012, 7:06 am

none of the several thousands gods humans invented throughout the ages had anything to do with us being here… so there is no purpose.

the opposite on the other hand is true:

humans created gods for a purpose… it would be easier and more meaningful to discuss that angle.



TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,061

17 Mar 2012, 8:22 am

Early mankind created god(s) as an explanation for life, existence and other things that were beyond the knowledge of the time. Having a concept of a (typically) patriarchal figure looking over them also gave their lives and death a sense of purpose, especially if they believed in some sort of afterlife. This was before science came along and threw a spanner in the works explaining the mysteries of nature and undermining these superstitious beliefs.


_________________
I've left WP indefinitely.


NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2009
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 675

17 Mar 2012, 9:06 am

TallyMan wrote:
Early mankind created god(s) as an explanation for life, existence and other things that were beyond the knowledge of the time. Having a concept of a (typically) patriarchal figure looking over them also gave their lives and death a sense of purpose, especially if they believed in some sort of afterlife. This was before science came along and threw a spanner in the works explaining the mysteries of nature and undermining these superstitious beliefs.


I'm fond of your posts TM. Just thought I'd share that.


_________________
I am Ignostic.
Go ahead and define god, with universal acceptance of said definition.
I'll wait.


MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jan 2009
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,896
Location: Stoke, England (sometimes :P)

17 Mar 2012, 10:00 am

He was bored.


_________________
What film do atheists watch on Christmas?
Coincidence on 34th street.


simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jan 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,075

17 Mar 2012, 12:32 pm

I don't think that a "god" gives you purpose unless you also believe in an afterlife. Even then, I think the purpose is less important than the promise of seeing dead friends and families again. A powerful incentive to believe.

Quote:
I find I can't rule out a purpose or an unknown reason while something like 95% of the universe is composed of dark matter and dark energy that isn't "dark" so much as just completely unknown. Could be anything, but is definately something.

It certainly allows for there being a lot more on the "other side of the coin", the side we can't interact with scientifically.


God of the gaps again. Both of those things interact with matter and space-time. They arent metaphysical woo-stuff. If every temporary unknown is touted as the god evidence at what point do you cheapen the concept?



Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Jul 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 710

17 Mar 2012, 2:19 pm

I believe the purpose of life is to be able to experience life, bond with other people, gain knowledge and wisdom, and appreciate the beauty and the complexity of the universe. To bring joy to yourself and bring joy to others. When you feel joy you're fulfilling the primary purpose of life. I've gotten joy from my life from doing things like going on vacation to places, eating my favorite foods, enjoying holidays with my family, going to public attractions like zoos and carnivals, doing things as simple as observing my cats and squirrels in my backyard, and many other things. It's even better when the other people around me are experiencing the same joy as myself. I have memories from when I was younger and more naïve of times when I experienced more joy than I do now because I saw the world the way it should be instead of the way it was. The innocent way I saw the world when I was younger resembles the way the spirit world is, except the spirit world is much more complex. The purpose of the afterlife is the same as the purpose of life, but it can more easily be fulfilled there.



17 Mar 2012, 2:23 pm

dizzywater wrote:
What do you think God's purpose was in creating us?



His own perverse amusement.