Page 2 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2019, 2:08 pm

This topic made it onto wrong planet ? Seriously ? If anyone still ascribes the laws of nature as gawds making ? They might be needing a class in physics .. if anyone is assigning responsibility to
The big bang or silly enough to refer to creationism as doing of a concious higher power . See above physics class please. Proposing, things of this type and asking a knowledgeable person to ascribe to such beliefs . At this point in time of civilization . Is pretty much hard for me to believe . And probably believes evil is suppose to exist . If you buy into concept of biblical evil. Add classes in psychology to above curriculum please. Am not a modernist by any means , but certain things . Follow suit , after enough knowledge has been accumulated by any society or individual .

Ignorance suits no one very well.
Btw if i even find sucha infinite higher power will have to have a serious discussion with him concerning life .
Think : " What God wants " by roger waters
Everything that a person has thought of can found be in the words of a rock & roll song

( all this written by a person, whom still prays on occassion) .
Prefers Lao Tzu over the bible. A still recovering Catholic .
Please pardon my rantings

where ever you go ,there you are

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2019, 3:30 pm

I hope that you are aware that this thread is eight years old.

Redpaws
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2019, 3:55 pm

"God" being a fairy tale aside, yeah, if such an entity existed, it would indeed be a dictator, and for far more reasons than slavery mentioned in Fairy Tales of the Bronze Age the bible.
The content of that book should be religion prevention in itself.

I recommend the youtube channel nonstampcollector, his videos are awesome and funny
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDyWzu ... RaoAcVg0jw

No terror, no war. No sympathy for terrorists or their supporters and sympathizers

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2019, 4:30 pm

That I agree that the issue of slavery doesn't have anything to do with whether or not "God is a dictator".

The ancients thought of him as a king.

If you assume that God exists, and if you work backwards from creation, to postulate what the Creator is, then obviously God would have to be an absolute ruler (call him a "monarch", or call him a "dictator")if he exists.

God obviously couldn't possibly be a president, nor a prime minister, nor any other kind of chief executive who was democratically elected . :lol:

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2019, 5:23 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I hope that you are aware that this thread is eight years old.

Oh Lordy ,
Lordy , would hope so....... lolz :roll:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 7:05 pm

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 11:07 pm

God Is A Dance; Movement And Repose...
Planets Revolving Around Stars in Balance...
Yes; God Is Balance Humans for the Most Part are out of God.
When You are in Balance
There is No Question
if God exists
You Do God
You Do Free
You Do Dictator
You Do What You Will to Do
with or without Part of Free Will
Once Again God is Balance A Dance.. Movement.. And Repose
Some People Fall to Dictator's Within Most Feel Enemy and/or Friend Within.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 4:14 am

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 10:13 am

PLEASE btw can anyone tell me is god secretly a synonym for WP ?

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 10:32 am

I think most religious people (Christians at least) think of God as a stern parent who must be obeyed if one's life is to go well, but who has given people the freedom to disobey (and bear the consequences) if they so choose.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 11:00 am

Do a thought experiment.

What if God were NOT a "dictator".

What would he be?

He would be a democratically elected of head of state, like a PM, or a POTUS.

That would mean that the Universe would be a democracy. And its citizens would vote God in, or out, each election year.

If God had to serve voters then ...there would be no death, no suffering, no unfairness, etc. Because the citizens of the universe would have voted to abolish all of that stuff long ago.

Ergo IF the Universe has head honcho the universe MUST be a dictatorship, ergo God HAS to be a dictator.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 11:09 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Do a thought experiment.

What if God were NOT a "dictator".

What would he be?

He would be a democratically elected of head of state, like a PM, or a POTUS.

That would mean that the Universe would be a democracy. And its citizens

would vote God in, or out, each election year.

If God had to serve voters then ...there would be no death, no suffering, no unfairness, etc. Because the citizens of the universe would have voted to abolish all of that stuff long ago.

Ergo IF the Universe has head honcho the universe MUST be a dictatorship, ergo God HAS to be a dictator.

Well written .

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2019, 8:58 am

Wow...talking about ancient WP history! The OP was utterly clueless when it comes to knowing and understanding the Bible. Ruveyn’s response summed it up nicely.

Regarding God being a dictator, why not? Well, where does a dictator get his power? A dictator is ultimately at the mercy of his people, but usually dictators come to power through force supported by a powerful minority, such as military or other special interest.

Kings, on the other hand, are kings by inheritance, meaning they are thought to possess a genetic suitability to lead. Logically it makes sense to support a ruling family in which children are taught leadership from birth, though actual results vary.

Dictators must assume power, propped up by force rather than right or universal agreement. Often it is fear that keeps them in power. The problem with a dictator is if he can assume power, so can the next guy. Fear in the long term breeds resentment rather than respect, thus it is incumbent on the dictator to mitigate rule-by-fear to stay in power. And there are many examples of modern dictators plagued by paranoia—their own fear of people, the military, a power base, a political rival, a popular rising star in the Party, opposition, etc.

God doesn’t fear people, nor does He require permission or the will of the people to act. Kings are sovereign because it is assumed they are fit for rule by their nature and character, literally BORN to lead. Humans are fallible, of course, and not eternal, hence why regencies are necessary sometimes. But this model is closer to a working analogy for God’s sovereignty than a dictatorship. God’s suitability for rule depends on suitability inherent in divine nature. With God being eternal and perfect, there’s no need to assume the same kinds of problems inherent in mortal sovereigns or dictators.

An elected president in a republic is a sort of acknowledgment that earthly kings aren’t as effective as rule by God alone. Early Israelite government was free and open, ruled by popular warrior-judges with demonstrated effectiveness. It’s essentially an informal representative democracy, whereas we have a formal system. We really just have a number of “point men” that operate at executive levels in tandem with popular legislators. In ancient Israel, each clan would be represented by a chosen leader. The western model could work in the same way the ancient Israelite theocracy worked. The main difference is that the west represents a conscious rejection of God as head of state (in practice), whereas the Biblical system had a cyclical acceptance/rejection of God. The kingdom era did not change this. But I think what’s obvious is that God is certainly not an elected official. God allows apparent self-rule only because it’s the most conducive way to let people obey God out of their own free will. Wholesale rejection of God results in destruction, e.g. the flood, Sodom, Conquest of Canaan, the Jewish exile, of course, but it’s easier to ward off consequences when individuals are free to choose. The Old Testament never requires faith in God for one’s right to exist. It only requires that we obey His commandments. Self-rule makes that a lot easier, hence why I think America even as a secular society is in a strong global position (although the national debt is a great cause for concern).

I look at God’s sovereignty differently, though, as neither a king nor a dictator, but rather a supreme Ego, a creative individual. The opening chapters of Genesis clearly demonstrate that God created the universe. It and everything in it belongs to God. God is under no obligation to share His things. He can destroy His toys if it gives Him pleasure to do so. That may seem like a childish, selfish description of God. Selfish, yes. But whether you agree that’s a good thing, or you hate God for appearing childish, it ultimately doesn’t matter. God can do what God wants with His things. It’s understandable that someone might attribute despotism to a Creator who won’t share or bend to the whim of an inferior being.

But it’s also the petulant cry of an inferior being who envies that sovereignty without consideration for the responsibility that goes with it. If you had God’s power, had the ability to set man free, how would you respond to your creation rejecting you? Could you withstand the temptation to revoke man’s agency? And if you revoked human agency, could you exist for all eternity knowing you created an army of robots who HAD to obey you?

I like things the way they are. Let God be God. The fact that God allows me continued existence shows me that I remain a valuable part of His creation. That makes me feel pretty good about myself!

DoTheTw1zt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Oct 2019, 9:04 am

"The Father's face is stern and strong. He sits and judges right from wrong. He weighs our lives, the short and long. He loves the little children."

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2019, 10:46 am

AngelRho wrote:
Wow...talking about ancient WP history! The OP was utterly clueless when it comes to knowing and understanding the Bible. Ruveyn’s response summed it up nicely.

Regarding God being a dictator, why not? Well, where does a dictator get his power? A dictator is ultimately at the mercy of his people, but usually dictators come to power through force supported by a powerful minority, such as military or other special interest.

Kings, on the other hand, are kings by inheritance, meaning they are thought to possess a genetic suitability to lead. Logically it makes sense to support a ruling family in which children are taught leadership from birth, though actual results vary.

Dictators must assume power, propped up by force rather than right or universal agreement. Often it is fear that keeps them in power. The problem with a dictator is if he can assume power, so can the next guy. Fear in the long term breeds resentment rather than respect, thus it is incumbent on the dictator to mitigate rule-by-fear to stay in power. And there are many examples of modern dictators plagued by paranoia—their own fear of people, the military, a power base, a political rival, a popular rising star in the Party, opposition, etc.

God doesn’t fear people, nor does He require permission or the will of the people to act. Kings are sovereign because it is assumed they are fit for rule by their nature and character, literally BORN to lead. Humans are fallible, of course, and not eternal, hence why regencies are necessary sometimes. But this model is closer to a working analogy for God’s sovereignty than a dictatorship. God’s suitability for rule depends on suitability inherent in divine nature. With God being eternal and perfect, there’s no need to assume the same kinds of problems inherent in mortal sovereigns or dictators.

An elected president in a republic is a sort of acknowledgment that earthly kings aren’t as effective as rule by God alone. Early Israelite government was free and open, ruled by popular warrior-judges with demonstrated effectiveness. It’s essentially an informal representative democracy, whereas we have a formal system. We really just have a number of “point men” that operate at executive levels in tandem with popular legislators. In ancient Israel, each clan would be represented by a chosen leader. The western model could work in the same way the ancient Israelite theocracy worked. The main difference is that the west represents a conscious rejection of God as head of state (in practice), whereas the Biblical system had a cyclical acceptance/rejection of God. The kingdom era did not change this. But I think what’s obvious is that God is certainly not an elected official. God allows apparent self-rule only because it’s the most conducive way to let people obey God out of their own free will. Wholesale rejection of God results in destruction, e.g. the flood, Sodom, Conquest of Canaan, the Jewish exile, of course, but it’s easier to ward off consequences when individuals are free to choose. The Old Testament never requires faith in God for one’s right to exist. It only requires that we obey His commandments. Self-rule makes that a lot easier, hence why I think America even as a secular society is in a strong global position (although the national debt is a great cause for concern).

I look at God’s sovereignty differently, though, as neither a king nor a dictator, but rather a supreme Ego, a creative individual. The opening chapters of Genesis clearly demonstrate that God created the universe. It and everything in it belongs to God. God is under no obligation to share His things. He can destroy His toys if it gives Him pleasure to do so. That may seem like a childish, selfish description of God. Selfish, yes. But whether you agree that’s a good thing, or you hate God for appearing childish, it ultimately doesn’t matter. God can do what God wants with His things. It’s understandable that someone might attribute despotism to a Creator who won’t share or bend to the whim of an inferior being.

But it’s also the petulant cry of an inferior being who envies that sovereignty without consideration for the responsibility that goes with it. If you had God’s power, had the ability to set man free, how would you respond to your creation rejecting you? Could you withstand the temptation to revoke man’s agency? And if you revoked human agency, could you exist for all eternity knowing you created an army of robots who HAD to obey you?

I like things the way they are. Let God be God. The fact that God allows me continued existence shows me that I remain a valuable part of His creation. That makes me feel pretty good about myself!

If God existed he would certainly have the right to "think of himself as God". Lol!

I agree that there are all kinds of problems with comparing a JudeoChristian type God to a human political leader, and trying to measure both the same moral yardstick. Peaches to pears.

God is like a dictator in that he doesn't have to answer to voters, but on the other hand he doesn't have to fear being overthrown by his subjects. A paranoid sociopath like a Stalin or a Hitler has to worry about being overthrown. So that is why they induldge in cruelty and so forth to instill fear. God, if he exists, wouldn have to worry about that (unless you literally believe that chapter in the old testament in which there was a moment when God DID get afraid that we humans were going to overthrow him so he "confounded the languages"- that whole Tower of Babel thing). An omnipotent creator diety would have no reason to either punish political prisoners NOR to cater to voters. So God cant be compared to either a dictator or to a POTUS/PM.

Nor really to a monarch either except that monarchs have a certain legitimacy -they legally inherit the role as a birthright- rather than steal the throne by force or chicanery like a typical dictator (though we are now on three generations of dictators in north korea). So like the ancients we still speak of god as being a "king" whose rule is legit. But even that's just an analogy. And like all analogies its imperfect.

DoTheTw1zt
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Oct 2019, 11:05 am

I think of God as more of a force of nature. Nature can be both savage and nurturing.

Something HAD to have created us. Life on this planet must have come from somewhere. It's no accident that life exists here.