Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 12:11 am

I don't even care anymore.....we live in a horrifyingly sick society and I would freaking love to see it collapse. I have to wonder why everyone does not have PTSD, just from being exposed to it all. If you don't wanna end up like me just keep watching your t.v....try to ignore all the terrible things and focus on your oh so important career or whatever it is you're doing in life. Everyone is just killing themselves slowly.......nothing means anything to anyone its all about getting a new car or a new t.v in fact there is even a song about it and the lyrics are:

What shall we use to fill the empty spaces
Where waves of hunger roar?
Shall we set out across this sea of faces
In search of more and on applause?
What Shall we do Now?
Shall we buy a new guitar?
Shall we drive a more powerful car?
Shall we work straight through the night?
Shall we get into fights?
Leave the lights on?
Drop bombs?
Do tours of the east?
Contract disease?
Bury bones?
Break up homes?
Send flowers by phone?
Take to drink?
Go to shrinks?
Give up meat?
Rarely sleep?
Keep people as pets?
Train dogs?
Raise rats?
Fill the attic with cash?
Bury treasure?
Store up leisure?
But never relax at all
With our backs to the wall
Backs to the Wall

So what the hell is the point? lol its all so meaningless.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 1:10 am

That's a great song 8) I love Pink Floyd

Any case you make your own purpose. If what most people consider satisfactory does not appeal to you there's nothing wrong with that, you should live life the way that works for you. Existence is brief you might as well make the most of it

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARXKvVeVtXg[/youtube]

Hikikamori
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Oct 2011, 1:13 am

Keep your head up
Keep caring
Help rebuild things if/when the time comes.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 1:32 am

You're not the only one. I want nothing more than for the economy to collapse and civilization to completely break down so I can just travel to the wilderness and create a new society.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 1:40 am

Burzum wrote:
You're not the only one. I want nothing more than for the economy to collapse and civilization to completely break down so I can just travel to the wilderness and create a new society.

Yeah that would be pretty cool.......hopefully it will collapse in my lifetime.

Hikikamori
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Oct 2011, 2:41 am

You want it to collapse?

I've thought that America might collapse with how things are going. I don't think it's going to be fun. I don't know what I would do.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 8:16 am

America IS collapsing. You have heard of OWS, yes? Thousands of people milling about, disillusioned and angry, in cities across America. One spark, and the riots will begin.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 10:52 am

Chin up, there are still some good people hanging around. And Beavis and Butthead are back! Surely that's reason to smile. :)

If not, Canada's not too far. Maybe they'll kindly take some refugees.

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 11:12 am

Screw society? I say that! But I then don't go on and do what you have! Society can be change, or made.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 11:41 am

Hikikamori wrote:
You want it to collapse?

I've thought that America might collapse with how things are going. I don't think it's going to be fun. I don't know what I would do.

my life already is not very fun......

TheKing
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 11:49 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I don't even care anymore.....we live in a horrifyingly sick society and I would freaking love to see it collapse. I have to wonder why everyone does not have PTSD, just from being exposed to it all. If you don't wanna end up like me just keep watching your t.v....try to ignore all the terrible things and focus on your oh so important career or whatever it is you're doing in life. Everyone is just killing themselves slowly.
So what the hell is the point? lol its all so meaningless.

im inclined to agree thats why i intend to live self sufficiently, or as self sufficiently as society allows me in the modern age. i am hoping to move to an ecovillage for a few years to learn how to since im a city boy

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 12:38 pm

Burzum wrote:

And most likely die trying.

It won't be like the pioneers going west who at least had a well established economy behind them to the east to supply the means of their westward travels.

ruveyn

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 3:54 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Burzum wrote:

It won't be like the pioneers going west who at least had a well established economy behind them to the east to supply the means of their westward travels.

ruveyn

They also had homesteader skills they had been practicing since birth. If society collapsed, I think we would all suddenly discover just how little we know about how to survive without an infrastructure. I look out the window and I see squirrels. Theoretically I could eat them if everything all went to heck. But that's just theoretically. In actuality, I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to do that, especially if I was competing with dogs and other people.

Surviving wild takes a lot of skills that people used to infrastructure have lost. There are tons of books. But doing something (under survival pressure) that you have neither done nor even seen done isn't all that easy just from reading a book.

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 4:10 am

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

I don't need an established economy, I have been studying books and DVDs on wilderness survival for some time now, and when I have a holiday from university I am intending to test myself in deep bush.

You would have a better chance of survival in wilderness than large cities anyway. What would happen in a large city following global economic collapse? Gangs and looting. There would be no natural resources to use, either.

Tadzio
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 4:34 am

Burzum wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

I don't need an established economy, I have been studying books and DVDs on wilderness survival for some time now, and when I have a holiday from university I am intending to test myself in deep bush.

You would have a better chance of survival in wilderness than large cities anyway. What would happen in a large city following global economic collapse? Gangs and looting. There would be no natural resources to use, either.

By calculations from people like Peter Farb, and a pessimistic take on the book "In The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight", with the collapse of the age of industrialism, the Earth is going to provide enough food calories only for about one out of every 40 people, once stability of nature returns.

At least the good will be that the "workday" of hunting and gathering will return to the natural balance of two hours a day.

Tadzio

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2011, 2:16 am

I often get pessimistic and depressed listening to the news - - but if I turn it off, or try to watch something else for very long, I become anxious and feel as if I'm cut off from the wider world.
Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer