Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2006, 8:51 pm

did/do you have light fixtures that would hang from the ceiling? Whenever i become bored in church i picture myself swinging on the hanging lights, yelling out like tarzan. anyone else?

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2006, 6:27 pm

In Presbyterian churches, there is not much in the way of decorations, but there were some relatively ornate lights hanging on long chains from high ceilings. I often "zoned out" from the service and stared at the lights, but didn't imagine swinging from them.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2006, 6:43 pm

During the interminable chapels I was forced to go through as part of my experience at Trinity Lutheran College on the Gold Coast, I sometime kept on thinking of inappropriate jokes at times. One that was guaranteed for me to try and wrench my face out of shape in order to prevent giggling was "fart in a spacesuit".

On sabbatical...

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 11:47 am

thats definately me, id zone out. i went to a baptist church that had old hardware (only one door) and microphones hanging from the arched ceiling. the reason why i had to go was my grandmother she was the kind of person that thinks jesus can fix everything. after she died and got sooo sunkin into my dad's 1946 cj willys jeep the ritual stopped. when i did go id tone out the paster (i have caught him numerus times reading the prayer from a pocket daily planner whils standing in back of church, he almost drowned someone during a baptism. communiion was just grape juice and a saltine cracker.

sorry about above all religious people but to me religion never helped :( (sorry again) when i did go id tone out paster, stare at ceiling or the old 1940's door closer on exit door in back of balcony. it was made by a company called lockwood.

i used to sit on main floor until it got seriously boring and i didnt want people to notice my stimming or staring up or looking for the old door. thats when i started sitting in balcony. id sit in back in corner nearest the door. what really did it in was when he stood there talking up a storm and no music(contemperary christian services with rock drums and guitar) when after a few weeks of no music, thats what really made me love that jeep more and my own hardware. (i do miss that one in the church) i dont want to waste time and gas just to go see it then fall asleep again (like i did last time i went)

sorry again got the negativity but yea id basically zone out and go into my own world when i did go to church.

my past churches, first had hanging lights second was a school gymnasium and 3rd is the place with the old door closer and arched ceilings.

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 12:01 pm

BazzaMcKenzie wrote:
In Presbyterian churches, there is not much in the way of decorations, but there were some relatively ornate lights hanging on long chains from high ceilings. I often "zoned out" from the service and stared at the lights, but didn't imagine swinging from them.

I though I was the only one who did that!! :D :D

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

15 Oct 2006, 12:09 pm

I remember as a young boy getting a new watch and going to church. I kepted my eyes
on it watch the whole time.

I was forced to goto this cult like church that has hundreds of buses to pick people up.
I told my parents I rather goto school than church and I hated school.

I remember this smaller fundmentalist church we went to this guy did these crazy things
to get us to bring more kids like he would eat live gold fish. Now thats my kinda church
where a guy puts in a real effort to get my attention!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 12:47 pm

The church I had attended for four years (2002-2006) had no chandeliers, etc. It has very modern lighting and fixtures.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Litigious
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 12:59 pm

The old church in my parish is since about 1100. 8)

'Tis munny in my purse.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 1:02 pm

Mine was built in 1996.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2006, 1:05 pm

Churches here in O.C. are mostly tax shelters for the rich. There's big beatiful churches every block in some neighborhoods. I guess they think the can buy their way into heaven.

McJeff
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2006, 4:32 pm

The last time I was in church, I couldn't get my mind off Sunny (wrestler girl, mid-late 90s...). The harder I tried to concentrate on what the preacher was saying, the more... inappropriate... my thoughts got. In my defense though, Sunny was extraordinarily attractive back then.

I was in religious school for half a year in 9th grade. I taught myself how to sleep sitting up in chapel there. The only sermon I remember was one where the preacher blathered on about "How dare you care about fashion? The Lord is coming and you should be terrified, way too terrified to worry about fashion!"

I'm an athiest-agnostic for the record.

Black_Sheep
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Oct 2006, 3:04 pm

Yeah all the time, but it's at school in the gym area where they have assemblies and at other places where I have the time to zone out of boring speeches. I sit really high in the stands and start daydreaming about swinging on whatever's on the ceiling and sometimes flying around. I haven't been to church in years and don't plan on going there ever again.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2006, 3:30 pm

My example is about a synagogue, rather than a church, although I'm sure the concept is the same.

The synagogue in my city is relatively modern. Although it had all the traditional Jewish motifs, the lighting was fairly modern. It was a mix of skylights (to provide natural light during daytime services), recessed lights with floodlight bulbs, and indirect lights that illuminate the ceiling. Obviously, swinging from anything was out of the question. When I zoned out during services, I mostly daydreamed.

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2006, 4:43 pm

If you're bored with church, then why go?

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2006, 5:27 pm

markaudette wrote:

parents...

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

doordoctor
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2006, 6:27 am

tinky wrote:
markaudette wrote:

parents...

same here, my grandmother was the one who told my dad to drop off me and my mom and brother. i lived with grandmother at time but i guess it was her way of tryign to help us understand dying.

she was before she was sick with ALS she was a weekly ritual church goer and she had a friend carol who was really religious as well. so one day, she came over to grandmoms house(carol) and she was trying to push grandma to go and she said no (at this time she was not able to walk and barely talk and was in a wheelchair) that "ritual" only lasted about a year until the long sermins and no music happened.

i guess she felt embarrassed to be drooling and moaning and using a wheelchair to attend. but yet she made my dad make sure we went. after about 5 church goings thats when the hardware and jeep held more interest then sitting there hearing the same songs week after week.

(apologises to all aspie church goers) sorry but church never helped me more less religion so why go?? i feel happier as athiest.