Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 2:32 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:
This sounds like the law we have in britain where it is an arrestable offense to invoke religous hatred. So Richard Dawkins should have been arrested a long time ago LOL

Not really.

Quote:
It is illegal to say anything or produce any written material that tries to persuade someone to commit a criminal offence against another race or group of people.

http://findlaw.co.uk/law/criminal/hate_crime/10237.html

It's only a crime in the UK if you're trying to encourage attacks on people because of their religion, and even then, it's only if the religion is linked to someone's race.

"This means that leaflets, flyers or speeches that promote crime against people because of their religionare against the law. This is called incitement to religious hatred." From findLaw.co.uk

It seems redundant. Surely it is illegal to promote crime anyway, regardless of who it is against, whether they are religous or not.

If it's racially motivated they hand out longer sentences.

This is about religion, or lack of religion though, not race.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 2:34 pm

Robdemanc wrote:
This is about religion, or lack of religion though, not race.

Yes but if you look at the link, it says there is no legislation for religious "hate speech", this stuff is only applicable when the religion can be linked to race, which is the case with Sikhism, for example.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 2:38 pm

So in other words, in another twenty years, I could find myself in a world where I'm dressed in the height of Persian fashion with a tall, dark, and quite mysterious woman by my side...... I'm going to *try* and pretend there's some sexy silver-lining in all of this.....

Seems like its both the bright side and the dark side of things that our universe has no sentience whatsoever.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

petitesouris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jan 2012, 12:07 am

America will resist this totalitarianism (even if it is destroying freedom for different ends and with other pretexts), yet other occidental postdemocracies will not. Some of the U.N. resolutions are beneficial, like the conventions pertaining to peacekeeping, yet this entity is being stolen by various elements which should be avoided. Most likely, those countries which religiously follow the U.N. will be taxed so that it could afford its dubious agenda and ineffectual leaders.

Last edited by petitesouris on 08 Jan 2012, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2012, 2:58 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/abigailesman/2011/12/30/could-you-be-a-criminal-us-supports-un-anti-free-speech-measure/

In violation of the First Amendment. The courts would make quick work of it.

ruveyn