Page 3 of 12 [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 7:40 am

^^^
i've read that musical talent tends to persist though successive incarnations, amplified in each new lifetime, and that musical abilities tend to run through family lineages as various talented family members reincarnate together through the centuries.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 8:11 am

I believe in reincarnation.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 10:49 am

abacacus wrote:
If this discussion has no useful purpose why are you a part of it?

As I've stated before ... I'm hoping to be proven wrong ...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MarsCoban
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Feb 2012, 10:55 am

Fnord wrote:
abacacus wrote:

This I highly doubt. I think you delight in trying to make people look silly for believing in things you do not.

"Hes a blockhead who wants proof of what he Can't Perceive
And he's a Fool who tries to make such a Blockhead believe"

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 10:57 am

donnie_darko wrote:
Why do self-styled rationalists always say 'empirical'? What does that even mean anyways?

Something that is capable of being verified or disproved by observation or experiment. In other words, a demonstration.

donnie_darko wrote:
So in other words "absence of evidence, while not evidence of absence, is not .. wait, yes it is evidence of absence"

No, it's "Absence of evidence, while not evidence of absence, is sufficient cause for reasonable doubt." Mere absence of evidence does not disprove a claim, but it does give reason to doubt that the claim is valid.

donnie_darko wrote:
I'd say it's reasonable to doubt reincarnation, I have my doubts myself, but i wouldn't say it's unreasonable to believe in it, or at least think it's possible.

If it is reasonable to doubt a claim, then it is unreasonable to believe it ... without evidence to support the claim. Providing valid evidence of a claim lessens the degree of doubt against the claim, and may even remove doubt entirely. Then it becomes unreasonable to doubt the claim, which is the goal of the claimant.

Do you see how easy it is?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 11:02 am

MarsCoban wrote:
Fnord wrote:
abacacus wrote:
This I highly doubt. I think you delight in trying to make people look silly for believing in things you do not. "Hes a blockhead who wants proof of what he Can't Perceive And he's a Fool who tries to make such a Blockhead believe"

Those who know they can not prove their claims often resort to Ad Hominem attacks.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Saturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Feb 2012, 11:02 am

I don't know whether there is reincarnation. My stance is that as no evidence of it has shown up in my personal experience, then there is no reason for me to believe in it or live my life in accordance with any implications it may have.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 11:09 am

Saturn wrote:
I don't know whether there is reincarnation. My stance is that as no evidence of it has shown up in my personal experience, then there is no reason for me to believe in it or live my life in accordance with any implications it may have.

^ This, FTW.

MarsCoban
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Feb 2012, 11:10 am

Fnord wrote:
MarsCoban wrote:
Fnord wrote:
abacacus wrote:
This I highly doubt. I think you delight in trying to make people look silly for believing in things you do not. "Hes a blockhead who wants proof of what he Can't Perceive And he's a Fool who tries to make such a Blockhead believe"

Those who know they can not prove their claims often resort to Ad Hominem attacks.

The flaw in your arguement here is that I never claimed anything. All I was trying to say is that your Coke machine retort which goes something like "There is no empirical evidence to support..." blah blah blah is not helpful. I mean, I know that not everyone here is a genius like yourself, but you aren't talking to total imbeciles. I don't think anyone has claimed to have hard scientific proof in favor of reincarnation. Your original post was superfluous. But I suppose I'll have to read it everytime a thread of this type pops up.

"What is now proved was once only imagined..."

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 1:54 pm

auntblabby wrote:
but here's a question- what would be the purpose of going through all the trouble of gaining knowledge, if none of it is to be retained someplace [in the akashic records, maybe]? just curious. :?

Perhaps it is a mercy to forget. At least while we are incarnated, but perhaps those memories are still there in a record somewhere.

In the mean time while in this life if I had easy recall of about 500 or a 1000 lifetimes I wonder how well I could function? Especially if I've changed ethnicity, sex, and language. Or even species?

What if we could remember what we were before easily, and my last life was as a Gorilla? Maybe I would be embarrassed or confused.

What if you were murdered, and you could remember who killed you?

TheFerretHadToGo
Raven
Raven

01 Feb 2012, 3:09 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
What if you were murdered, and you could remember who killed you?

I´m pretty sure I´ve seen that in a movie. Can´t remember the title though.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 3:20 pm

auntblabby wrote:
... what would be the purpose of going through all the trouble of gaining knowledge, if none of it is to be retained someplace [in the akashic records, maybe]? just curious. :?

That begs the question of whether or not life itself has a purpose in the first place.

If we're created, then our creator has a purpose for us; and we should just trust our creator to guide us to that purpose.

If we're merely accidents of evolution, then it seems likely that the only purposes our lives have are the ones we make for ourselves.

Knowledge is retained in physical recording media - whether in writing, in video, or in digital format; or even in the brain - and there is no valid empirical evidence that the Akashic Plane exists in the first place (despite what Chelsea Quinn Yarbro may say), and much less that there are any records there. So it is safe to assume that once you die, that's it - whatever mental records of your experiences you may have had in life are lost unless you've recorded them in some durable physical format.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 3:26 pm

If I remember correctly, the brain could be digitised in my lifetime, so perhaps knowledge could well live on after death, perhaps even a life after death in a sense.

You will reap what you've sown.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 3:37 pm

abacacus wrote:
If I remember correctly, the brain could be digitised in my lifetime, so perhaps knowledge could well live on after death, perhaps even a life after death in a sense.

That's the hypothesis, meaning that it may be testable; although current technology may not be up to it.

I wonder what it would be like to be brain-scanned moments before death, and then have the scan uploaded into a computer that could handle the data. Would there still be a "person" amidst all that data?

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 3:38 pm

abacacus wrote:
Reincarnation of you (matter wise) is true.

Your body decomposes, plants and animals consume the nutrients, allowing them to survive. Your matter lives again, as another creature (well, multiple creatures).

Yup. My carbon molecules won't go to waste, but my consciousness will be gone the second my brain runs out of oxygen.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 3:49 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
Another way I look at this is a person may pass on their DNA to the next generation. That doesn't mean they keep living, but some of the core building blocks of that person are continuing on in another body. Also slightly altered by combining with another strain.

Procreation is indeed a form of 50% reincarnation. Since a lot of human behavior has a genetic basis, you would also pass on a part of your thought process to your offspring. Parents try to further shape the minds of their children according to their own minds by passing on their culture, beliefs and knowledge. I think this is the only shot at immortality / reincarnation that we have.