Bible beliefs: Does a soul exist separately from the body?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 8:21 am

Over in Reddit, I asked Bible scholars

Quote:

Does the Bible contain the belief in a soul that exists separately from the body?

I gather that Christians of yore were looking forward to the resurrection of the BODY and final judgment. There doesn't seem to be any concept of a soul existing independently of the body.

Now, a lot of Christians seem to believe that the souls of believers separate from the body and enter Heaven immediately after death (or, go the other way). Which suggests that graveyards serve no purpose.

At what point did the idea of the soul enter Christianity? Did the concept derive from Greek philosophy?

So far, I have received one response from someone with a

PhD in NT Greek wrote:

I can’t find a good academic source for this, so the mods will be right to delete it. But in brief, you are right. The concept of a soul independent of the body is from Greek philosophy. The bible is not totally clear, since it uses the words "soul" and "spirit" in several places, but the main idea is that we are a living body.

Death is therefore real, and we are resurrected as a living body.

It seems strange that there would be no academic sources, as this is one of Christianity's most fundamental issues.

Jesus ascended bodily into Heaven. The Catholics will tell you that his mom did the same.

I heard some Jehovah's Witnesses claim that everyone who ever lived will come back to life on Earth, and live forever. Which suggests that the soul is not separate from the body.

Mohammedans appear to think that the soul leaves the body and goes directly either to Heaven or Hell.

Hindus and Buddhists would have our souls reincarnate into another body.

So, which is it?

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 8:57 am

I think like Lisa said in The Simpsons that there's also a belief among some philosophers that nobody is "born with a soul" but that we all have to earn our souls through thoughtfulness.

That's kind of reflected in the stories of the original Little Mermaid (not the Disney crap) where the main character was told that mermaids had no souls and turned to sea foam after death, so she tried to gain a human soul herself by having the sea witch turn her into a human.

Another example is the Greek Myth of Psyche the mortal girl who endured much hardship to be with her husband the God Eros whom she loved greatly. After she completed her many painful trials the Gods granted her permission to drink from a cup of Ambrosia to gain immortality so that Psyche and Eros would be together for all eternity, and as a new Goddess her sacred symbol became the butterfly which symbolized the human soul transforming after death.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 9:47 am

I never accepted the idea of a real soul. There are so many aspects of mental activity that science has shown to be functions of the physical brain, that there wouldn't be much left for a soul to take with it if it flew away. So I suppose the "immortal soul" is one of those concepts that used to seem more plausible before we found out a thing or two about how the stuff between our ears works, but it's hard for some people to abandon it because doing that means accepting that when they die, they really will cease to exist, which can be a very scary thought if you're not used to it.

I've seen the occasional bit of fiction about people who lost their souls, and the authors seem to think they'd be incapable of emotion, warmth, or moral judgements. I found them rather laughable because I see those qualities as functions of the brain.

I'm happy enough with the concept of a soul as a metaphor though. I even used the word "soul" in a song I wrote once. But that was art. When I see the word "spiritual" I take it to mean emotional, aesthetic, or artistic.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 8:53 am

Here is one answer from the Christianity subreddit

Quote:

The Bible doesn't teach that the soul is a separate entity from our body that leaves the physical body. Both Hebrew and Greek words for soul mean life, living being, personality. The soul is the physical and spiritual come together in completion to create a living being. you are a soul, you don't have a soul. According to Jewish and Greek usage of the word animals and plants are also souls, living beings. So when the physical body dies there is no life, no soul. And if there is no soul, or life, the physical body dies. That's why we need to be resurrected by Christ. To become a soul, a living being, again. Jesus, in multiple scenarios, requested death to sleep. He doesn't call people dead, he calls them asleep. There is no life without the physical body in the equation.

The concept that the soul can be separate from the body and pure when it leaves the impure physical body to become perfect is a Platonic teaching created by Plato and Aristotle and seeped it's way into theology in the early middle ages when Greek philosophy had a Renaissance.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 9:11 am

^
I guess that explains the phrase "Asleep in Jesus" I've seen on Victorian gravestones. I can see the attraction of seeing it like that - "Being eaten by maggots" wouldn't be such a comfort to the bereaved.

Souls seem to have different qualities depending on who you read. Yesterday a fundamentalist who has just done hundreds of hours of religious training declared to me categorically that each of us is made of 3 parts - the physical body (which I don't deny), the soul, and what he called the "spirit." :?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 9:23 am

Ask a Hindu. You'll get a better answer. Christians aren't really into souls.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 11:45 am

Things are picking up in the Christianity subreddit, if anyone wants to take a gander.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Christianity/c ... oul_exist/