What is the Moral Objection to Contraception?

Page 3 of 5 [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Are Contraception, Onanism, and Masturbation Immoral?
Contraception, Onanism, and Masturbation are All Immoral 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Only Contraception and Onanism are Immoral 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Only Contraception and Masturbation are Immoral 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Only Onanism and Masturbation are Immoral 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Only Contraception is Immoral 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Only Onanism is Immoral 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Only Masturbation is Immoral 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Contraception, Onanism, and Masturbation are All Moral 96%  96%  [ 27 ]
Total votes : 28

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 10:04 pm

Well, here is an interesting thread on the subject of confessing masturbation:

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=182270

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 10:10 pm

^^^

I shouldn't laugh, but... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

EDIT: now that I've read some more of that thread, I'm not sure if I want to laugh or cry.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 10:19 pm

Not being Catholic, my reaction is more along the lines of

:scratch: 8O :scratch:

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 10:33 pm

I'm an ex-Catholic and I have a lot of empathy with people caught up in the absurd rules of organised religion. It might seem ridiculous, but it causes real suffering.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 10:35 pm

pandabear wrote:

How dare a priest tell him that his autoerotic handiwork wasn't a mortal sin! :lmao: I wonder, can people be addicted to guilt? Or to humiliation perhaps? If they are told from a young age that humans are sinful and imperfect and deserving of hellfire, do they start to enjoy being put down at some point, and get angry when a confessor denies them their fix?

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 10:37 pm

CrazyCatLord wrote:
pandabear wrote:

How dare a priest tell him that his autoerotic handiwork wasn't a mortal sin! :lmao: I wonder, can people be addicted to guilt? Or to humiliation perhaps? If they are told from a young age that humans are sinful and imperfect and deserving of hellfire, do they start to enjoy being put down at some point, and get angry when a confessor denies them their fix?

Do dolphins s**t in the sea?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 10:41 pm

(X) Other: Anything that is fun or that enables a person to have fun is immoral.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 10:46 pm

What "act of contrition" was this sinner expecting that the priest would demand of him? If he knows what he did, and knows what his "act of contrition" is supposed to be, then why doesn't he just go and do it?

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 10:50 pm

pandabear wrote:
What "act of contrition" was this sinner expecting that the priest would demand of him? If he knows what he did, and knows what his "act of contrition" is supposed to be, then why doesn't he just go and do it?

The priest is able to tell the dude upstairs about the act of contrition. Well, he's more 'qualified' to do so than mere laymen. I don't understand why God needs middlemen, but meh.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 11:42 pm

abacacus wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
Quote:
Raptor is just trying to pull the "what if your parents used protection, you wouldn't exist" stunt. Which is ridiculous and dull.

No, more like I was wishing some people’s parents had used contraceptives. Duh….
:roll:

And you wonder why Conservatives get little respect from the sane people...

No, actually I don't wonder at all because your definition of sane people is the opposite of mine.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 11:47 pm

insanity??

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2012, 2:12 am

Granted I've never been married, let alone a married mormon, but if there is mormon doctrine against the use of contraception, it's news to me.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2012, 9:38 am

blauSamstag wrote:
Granted I've never been married, let alone a married mormon, but if there is mormon doctrine against the use of contraception, it's news to me.

Apparently, contraception and masturbation are frowned upon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions ... cs_1.shtml

Contraception isn't formally banned, but you still have to have as many kids as possible. I noticed that Mormons and Catholics tend to try to outbreed everyone else, and jumped to the conclusion that Mormons also won't touch contraceptives.

Maybe because Catholic priests have to be celibate, they think that married couples shouldn't touch each other, either, unless they are seeking to produce a child. Mormon church leaders get to marry, so they may be more liberal about married people satisfying each other carnally.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2012, 10:54 am

I wonder why the practising Catholics haven't yet weighed in?

puddingmouse wrote:
Theologically, it has something to do with something called Natural Law....

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/birth-control

Quote:
Contraception is wrong because it’s a deliberate violation of the design God built into the human race, often referred to as "natural law." The natural law purpose of sex is procreation. The pleasure that sexual intercourse provides is an additional blessing from God, intended to offer the possibility of new life while strengthening the bond of intimacy, respect, and love between husband and wife. The loving environment this bond creates is the perfect setting for nurturing children.

But sexual pleasure within marriage becomes unnatural, and even harmful to the spouses, when it is used in a way that deliberately excludes the basic purpose of sex, which is procreation. God’s gift of the sex act, along with its pleasure and intimacy, must not be abused by deliberately frustrating its natural end—procreation.

I don't quite follow the "natural law" argument. Why would a "deliberate violation of the design God built into the human race" necessarily be wrong? Hair-colouring and make-up would also represent "deliberate violations of the design God built into the Human race", but Catholics do use cosmetic products. We spay and neuter our pets, which violates natural law. The Catholic Church doesn't make a stink about that.

I also don't see where sexual pleasure becomes necessarily "unnatural" or "harmful" when procreation is avoided.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2012, 11:21 am

I suppose I could say something terrible about Catholic priests and young boys, but in order to avoid being called a bigot, I won't say it out loud. I'll just think it. :lol:

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2012, 11:22 am

Quote:
A priest was taking a shortcut through an alley one day and came upon a young boy who was masturbating. "My son, you shouldn't be doing that", said the priest. "You should be saving that for when you get married." The embarrassed boy hung his head down low and simply said "Yes, Father."

About 10 years later the priest was in his study when a young man, in his early twenties came in. "Yes, my son?" said the priest. "Father, you may not remember me, but about 10 years ago you caught me masturbating in an alley, and I'll never forget the advice you gave then."

"And what was that, my son?" "Well, you told me that what I was doing was wrong and I should be saving it for when I get married", said the young man. "That sounds like something I probably would have said" said the priest.

"Did you take my advice?" "Yes I did, Father; but there's only one problem." "What's that, my son?" "Well, I have a 55 gallon drum full of the stuff in the back of my pickup truck. Now that I am getting married what am I supposed to do with it?"