DHS order of 450 million Hollow Point bullets

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 8:39 am

http://rt.com/usa/news/dhs-million-point-government-179/

Thoughts? :)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 9:43 am

That's a lot of ammo AND money spent even though they will probably get a quantity discount.
Since it's .40 caliber that would just be for their handguns alone.
I don't know why they would want that much at one time since it brings storage issues into play.
Not to mention that ordering that much ammo draws attention.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 11:16 am

Well, that is more than enough to take care of any pesky democrats or Mexicans

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 12:14 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Well, that is more than enough to take care of any pesky democrats or Mexicans

There have been more efficient methods of mass extermination than bullets proven.
Not that I would advocate such action, of course..............

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 12:47 pm

They are going to smuggle them to Mexico.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

DC
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 12:52 pm

How many staff does DHS employ across all it's agencies?

If it is several hundred thousand people and those people are required to have weapon handling training then 450 million rounds will probably only last a couple of years of training and subsequent range practice.

A single person taking it easy can shoot off a hundred rounds of ammunition in half an hour at the range no problem at all.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 1:15 pm

New air marshall strategy. Fire lots of bullets and hope for the best.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 1:15 pm

DC wrote:

If it is several hundred thousand people and those people are required to have weapon handling training then 450 million rounds will probably only last a couple of years of training and subsequent range practice.

A single person taking it easy can shoot off a hundred rounds of ammunition in half an hour at the range no problem at all.

I wouldn't have thought you'd order that many of those bullets for training purposes.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 1:22 pm

Who knows really I like my guns but I don't own that many for all thsoe bullets. How ever I am sure my family all together could we love our guns.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 1:24 pm

That's a lot of bullets. Hope they have enough space to store em all.

Logically, the best answer would probably be that they're just buying them in bulk. Buy em now, use em for years.

You will reap what you've sown.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 1:39 pm

Or it could be those nutcase familes from the show "Doomsday Preppers" getting ready for armageddon, the greek, word for destroyer.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 2:21 pm

gemstone123 wrote:
DC wrote:

I wouldn't have thought you'd order that many of those bullets for training purposes.

That really depends on how many people you are bulk purchasing for.

The US seems to have lots of preppers who think nothing of having a dozen guns and thousands of rounds of ammunition stockpiled 'just in case'. These people are civilians not federal officers required to learn and maintain skills with a gun.

If you think that is a lot of bullets for training use, how many bullets do you think actually get fired in anger?

In 2006 the entire NYPD fired a grand total of 540 bullets in anger, the 9,699 police officers of the LAPD fired 283 rounds in anger.

Source:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/08/nyreg ... wanted=all

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 4:14 pm

Training aspect is a good point.

Ive read that each Navy Seal fires thousands of rounds per DAY while not on a mission. There are many hundreds if not thousands of air marshalls and they probably need to be accurate when firing a weapon on a plane.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 4:41 pm

When I practice I often go through a few hundred bullets per day and that's with a bolt action rifle or a pump. If I was firing semi-auto or full auto I could probably go through about 1000. Not that I own weapons that fire semi-auto or full auto.

I might be inclined to ask if hollows are the best bullets for practice but other than that.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 4:53 pm

Hollows are very good to practice with.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 5:09 pm

TM wrote:
When I practice I often go through a few hundred bullets per day and that's with a bolt action rifle or a pump. If I was firing semi-auto or full auto I could probably go through about 1000. Not that I own weapons that fire semi-auto or full auto.

I might be inclined to ask if hollows are the best bullets for practice but other than that.

I think they are standard issue in most law enforcement organisations around the world. I believe the argument given by the police for doing this is that they frequently have innocent bystanders around when they discharge their weapons.

A normal bullet is quite likely to go straight through a person with enough momentum to kill a random person behind them but a hollow bullet spreads out on impact doing more damage to the target but greatly decreasing the chance of the bullet exiting the body and doing damage to someone else.

The 'liberal media' did an experiment with people and firearms here, even the chap with hundreds of hours of shooting experience at the range screwed it up completely.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjZY3WiO9s[/youtube]

Proper gun handling is a martial art, it takes hundreds of hours of practice in stressful situations to become vaguely skilled and then it takes regular practice to maintain that level of proficiency.

All of which requires ammunition. Lots and lots of ammunition...