Page 6 of 8 [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Who do you think will win the presidential election in the USA?
President Obama 85%  85%  [ 33 ]
Mitt Romney 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 39

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2012, 3:27 pm

CoMF wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Reaganomics made fiscal irresponsibility a virtue.

While we're on the subject of Republicans and their spend but don't tax foolishness, let's look back at the Clinton administration's noble but misguided attempts at combatting mortgage discrimination combined with the sweeping support for GLBA by progressives and former Rep. Frank's obstinance with managing Fannie and Freddie. The fact of the matter is that progressive Democrats saw dollar signs just as much their counterparts across the aisle had done, and all three of the aforementioned factors played a role in contributing to the financial crisis of 2008.

That being said and with all due respect, I have no interest in only listening to one side of the story for the glorification of your pet political beliefs. Both parties have dropped the proverbial ball. Period.

I'm not saying that the Democrats are angels. Only saying that, if the Democrats win, then we will have less chance of losing social security, medicare, and the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2012, 3:32 pm

Mitt Romneys onnly chance against obama will be the religious right or left.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2012, 3:38 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
CoMF wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Reaganomics made fiscal irresponsibility a virtue.

While we're on the subject of Republicans and their spend but don't tax foolishness, let's look back at the Clinton administration's noble but misguided attempts at combatting mortgage discrimination combined with the sweeping support for GLBA by progressives and former Rep. Frank's obstinance with managing Fannie and Freddie. The fact of the matter is that progressive Democrats saw dollar signs just as much their counterparts across the aisle had done, and all three of the aforementioned factors played a role in contributing to the financial crisis of 2008.

That being said and with all due respect, I have no interest in only listening to one side of the story for the glorification of your pet political beliefs. Both parties have dropped the proverbial ball. Period.

I'm not saying that the Democrats are angels. Only saying that, if the Democrats win, then we will have less chance of losing social security, medicare, and the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.

Seconded!

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2012, 4:18 pm

Joker wrote:

They're not enough on their own, he needs new blood that's excited about voting. If the GOP hadn't alienated the Hispanic vote with their anti-immigration platforms they could have been a natural fit and the real future of the GOP, or if he could figure out a way to rope in Ron Paul's faction they might put him over the top though I don't see that happening. Barring something going *really* wrong for Obama, Romney is going to need to reach out beyond the traditional GOP in order to have a chance at winning.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2012, 7:33 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF1Ixo_faas[/youtube]

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2012, 8:35 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF1Ixo_faas[/youtube]

Going by the Republican mantra, George Carlin had been motivated by envy to wage class warfare.

CoMF
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2012, 8:38 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:

Oh, don't worry. Our current crypto-neocon president is doing a good job hastening Social Security's demise. Without the formation of new jobs, repayment of the funds that were borrowed from SS and reforms that will protect the funds it already has, the only thing Democrats will be accomplishing is the postponement of the inevitable.

As for the "Affordable" Care Act (ha, ha), the Supreme Court is already hearing the case and if they rule that the individual mandate is unconstitutional, there's not a damn thing a Democratic supermajority can do about it except remove the offending passages from the law or abandon the legislation entirely.

Personally, I think Vermont had the right idea in just saying to Hell with the Federal Government and enacting their own single payer system. Isn't the Tenth Amendment grand?

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2012, 10:23 pm

Dox47 wrote:
marshall wrote:
The right is more successful than the left in influencing capitol hill because 1.) they have more money behind them and 2.) the ones in control don't have principles.

Are you going to make me get out the charts showing who gets and spends what money where? Maybe some Glenn Greenwald on what Obama has really been up to?

I don't count Obama as part of the "left".

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2012, 10:43 pm

To go back to the OP, I predict that Obama is going to win:

http://www.intrade.com/v4/markets/contr ... tId=743474

The people with the money to bet think it's more likely he's going to win.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2012, 11:04 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Joker wrote:

They're not enough on their own, he needs new blood that's excited about voting. If the GOP hadn't alienated the Hispanic vote with their anti-immigration platforms they could have been a natural fit and the real future of the GOP, or if he could figure out a way to rope in Ron Paul's faction they might put him over the top though I don't see that happening. Barring something going *really* wrong for Obama, Romney is going to need to reach out beyond the traditional GOP in order to have a chance at winning.

I don't see anything going wrong for Obama but Mitt Romeny will have to really come up with a better platform then Obama which will be hard to do.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2012, 11:25 pm

marshall wrote:
I don't count Obama as part of the "left".

Ahh, smart man. :D

Who would you consider to be the leaders on the left though? I certainly wouldn't consider most of the Democratic party to be left anymore, so who would really be in charge of the left in the US?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2012, 11:39 pm

Joker wrote:
I don't see anything going wrong for Obama but Mitt Romeny will have to really come up with a better platform then Obama which will be hard to do.

In many ways, this is a rehash of the 2004 election, right down to the wealthy flip-flopping New England moderate that no one actually likes. "Not Bush" didn't work as a platform for Kerry, we'll have to see how far Romney gets on "Not Obama".

CoMF
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Apr 2012, 11:15 am

Dox47 wrote:
I certainly wouldn't consider most of the Democratic party to be left anymore, so who would really be in charge of the left in the US?

Ummm... Al Franken? Dennis Kuchinich? Bernie Sanders? :scratch:

Dox47 wrote:
In many ways, this is a rehash of the 2004 election, right down to the wealthy flip-flopping New England moderate that no one actually likes. "Not Bush" didn't work as a platform for Kerry, we'll have to see how far Romney gets on "Not Obama".

If dyed-in-the-wool Romney supporters weren't so blinded by their desperation to oust Obama, perhaps they'd be more receptive to logic.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 4:48 pm

CoMF wrote:
If dyed-in-the-wool Romney supporters weren't so blinded by their desperation to oust Obama, perhaps they'd be more receptive to logic.

Is there such a thing? I thought he was just the not-Obama deemed least worst, not someone with actual supporters.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 7:45 pm

Dox47 wrote:
CoMF wrote:

Is there such a thing? I thought he was just the not-Obama deemed least worst, not someone with actual supporters.

To be sure, Romney hasn't been able to inspire any sort of "cult of personality" as of yet.

CoMF
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Apr 2012, 11:16 pm

Dox47 wrote:

On second thought, maybe I used a poor choice of words.