Page 4 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 1:01 pm

Lord_Gareth wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Lord_Gareth wrote:
Honestly, for me, it pretty much goes like this: "Life is simpler when I live it under the assumption that free will exists." Whether or not the universe is deterministic is a question that drives people nuts, so I arbitrarily picked a side and stuck with it. It's worked out for me so far.

I don't know that the complexities of a deterministic universe need to drive someone 'nuts' but, if it works and gives you inner peace go with it.

After my eighth 'free will vs. illusion of free will' debate the solution above is what I went with so I could avoid beating my face against the wall arguing about something that's currently impossible to determine (but sadly not impossible to have a shouting match about). I do recognize that my anecdotes do not form a body of evidence, though.

Good and evil isn't about light or dark it's human nature to do evil and good things that is somethiung that will never change both good and evil coexist with each other it's the yin of yang of life.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 1:08 pm

Well, I'd call good and evil really good vs. nature. I know some people would argue just about till we both turned blue in the face that animal's 'evil' is nothing like ours and that they do the same things we do both positive and negative but really its signs that all kinds of things - pettiness, malignant narcissism, eugenic narcissism/social Darwinism, etc. etc. come from the combined stress of how the forces of nature shape our struggle to survive, the lossiness and fragility of our own DNA, and in general we're still incredibly barbaric by absolute standards if we were to consult the best in ourselves mainly because that environmental hardship has only let up so much - we've come a long way but still have a long way to go. Those who do science and can do it well though have a lot of say in hastening a better future.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 4:48 pm

Free will, because your parents deserved the right to choose your beating. *sarcasm*