Anyone dislike when others make their own quotes?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 12:16 pm

To clarify, I am fine with people making quotes but usually they just sound cheesy. And if it seems decent at all I have noticed that they seem more valid/I will give it more thought if instead you putting your name it was just put as unknown. Most quotes that people come up with are just famous ones that they don't know who said it and so John thinks he came up with it.

(I mean quotes that are supposed to have deep meaning or things like that)

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 3:27 pm

Delphiki wrote:
To clarify, I am fine with people making quotes but usually they just sound cheesy. And if it seems decent at all I have noticed that they seem more valid/I will give it more thought if instead you putting your name it was just put as unknown. Most quotes that people come up with are just famous ones that they don't know who said it and so John thinks he came up with it.

Are you talking about quotes like in people's signatures? Mine are currently unattributed because they're lengthy to begin with and I want people to think less about the source and more about the quote, just a personal preference. I do occasionally slip an attributed self quote into my signature, usually as an ironic comment on someone else with an ostentatious attributed quote in their signature.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 3:32 pm

No, not usually this site. I will be exchanging email with my grandpa and I will use a quote (peter wiggin haha), he replieded with: close minded people do not read- grandpa.
Or quotes people make on facebook

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 6:09 pm

I know of a few people who attributed quotes to themselves. I'm active in a hobby called micronationalism, which is a political simulation that, very basically, involves declaring some land near your house to be your country. It's always fun to see people who want to fill an informative page about themselves, but lack content and start inventing worn-out, often completely irrelevant or false quotes.

A friend of mine wrote this:

Quote:
“You must meet them with equal to overwhelming force”
— [pseudonym] on a strategy when outnumbered.

What I don't get, though, is why his strategy when outnumbered is to have 'equal or overwhelming force'.
That's like being stuck in a salt marsh and saying 'we are now in a desert'.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 6:11 pm

Delphiki wrote:

Isn't your signature your own quote?

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 6:13 pm

Bun wrote:
Delphiki wrote:

I quoted how to train your dragon

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 6:15 pm

Delphiki wrote:
Bun wrote:
Delphiki wrote:

I quoted how to train your dragon

Oh oops, sorry.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 9:06 pm

HisDivineMajesty wrote:

Quote:

What I don't get, though, is why his strategy when outnumbered is to have 'equal or overwhelming force'.

Simple. When the numbers are on the enemy side, you have to make your numbers mean more. If you're outnumbered 2-1 but every fighter you have is worth 4 of the enemies, you have the force needed to meet them and overwhelm them even if the papers say otherwise.

You will reap what you've sown.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 9:22 pm

HisDivineMajesty wrote:
I know of a few people who attributed quotes to themselves. I'm active in a hobby called micronationalism, which is a political simulation that, very basically, involves declaring some land near your house to be your country. It's always fun to see people who want to fill an informative page about themselves, but lack content and start inventing worn-out, often completely irrelevant or false quotes.

Quote:

I tend to think it implies you must maneuver your forces into a choke point where the numbers of the enemy do not matter and thus you are able to face them on equal or greater terms

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 9:31 pm

Vigilans wrote:
HisDivineMajesty wrote:

Quote:

I tend to think it implies you must maneuver your forces into a choke point where the numbers of the enemy do not matter and thus you are able to face them on equal or greater terms

Unless you're quite skilled tactician facing a fool, all that'll do is delay the inevitable.

You will reap what you've sown.

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 6:19 am

It's a sound strategy, having a point where enemies can't apply their greater numbers. However, his strategies in actual situations have been slightly disappointing. When we were both a bit younger, we made groups of 2-4 people and fought each other, either over a flag or until submission. His strategies were glaring at times. He'd often walk right into the open, even when outnumbered, tell someone else to fight when we approached, and run away himself.

What I've found to be hilarious quotes were those from people who were trying to emulate fantasy movies.

The same guy wrote:
We must face the reality, we cant return, we dont have a return button nor can we drive up stream. We must now sail with the wind in our sails, search a way to make our community productive again.

It's a fun quote, but it doesn't really make a point, it's too elaborate even for someone who knows the context, and it uses a lot of generic metaphors.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2012, 1:28 pm

HisDivineMajesty wrote:

Quote:

In military terms 'force' is not the same as numbers. Force is the amount of firepower that can be applied or projected onto an area.