Page 7 of 9 [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

WilliamWDelaney
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 3:04 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
WilliamWDelaney wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
you were the only person to mention discrimination or cultural indoctrination on this thread, so i am not sure who you are shouting at. :?
Very old frustration. Any questions?

just two: CAN YOU DIAL IT DOWN A NOTCH?
Okay.

Quote:
AND CAN YOU STOP YOURSELF FROM RE-INTRODUCING OLD ARGUMENTS?
I was hoping that, if I repeated them enough times, someone would realize they were there. And they are actually fairly earth-shattering arguments in that I have provided rock-solid citations for them, and I don't see anyone else here doing that. What I see is a lot of ignorant people spouting a lot of ignorant rhetoric and disproven bull crap, and I think I am justified in being a little pissed off over it.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 3:07 pm

WilliamWDelaney wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
WilliamWDelaney wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
you were the only person to mention discrimination or cultural indoctrination on this thread, so i am not sure who you are shouting at. :?

Okay.

Quote:
I was hoping that, if I repeated them enough times, someone would realize they were there. And they are actually fairly earth-shattering arguments in that I have provided rock-solid citations for them, and I don't see anyone else here doing that. What I see is a lot of ignorant people spouting a lot of ignorant rhetoric and disproven bull crap, and I think I am justified in being a little pissed off over it.

no, there is no justification for being pissed at someone over an internet argument (if someone broke the rules it would be different). you are entitled to your feelings of course, but you are not entitled to start yelling at them or being inflammatory/provocative towards then. if they are pissing you off, leave the debate.

WilliamWDelaney
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 3:10 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
WilliamWDelaney wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
WilliamWDelaney wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:

Okay.

Quote:

no, there is no justification for being pissed at someone over an internet argument (if someone broke the rules it would be different). you are entitled to your feelings of course, but you are not entitled to start yelling at them or being inflammatory/provocative towards then. if they are pissing you off, leave the debate.
Okay, I'll leave the subject in general alone for a while, so I can cool on it. Peace.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 4:43 pm

"There is no arguing with Delaney, for when his pistol misfires he knocks you down with the butt end of it."

What do you think William? Good historical comparison / backhanded complement?

WilliamWDelaney
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 5:07 pm

Dox47 wrote:
"There is no arguing with Delaney, for when his pistol misfires he knocks you down with the butt end of it."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-TA57L0kuc[/youtube]

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 5:33 pm

WilliamWDelaney wrote:
Please read the stuff that I have posted here.

There is scientific evidence that gonadal steroids have a measurable effect on performance in tasks involving certain aspects of spatial reasoning and verbal memory, and there is evidence that they also impact divergent versus convergent thought processes.

I have provided the concrete, authentic, falsifiable evidence that you are claiming, here, there is a deficit of. Now, I agree that most people who comment on either side of the issue are profoundly lazy, and they never contribute anything tangible or falsifiable to the discussion. I am one of those people, though, who have busted their asses to comprehend this issue, as well as many others, having read thousands of pages of authentic material on it. Try actually reading my citations. They are interesting.

But what do they tell us?

They tell us that in mice, castration impacts delayed spatial memory access, but does not affect spatial reference memory (among others). Androgen replacement recovered long term (>24h) spatial memory performance, but had no impact on 1hr retention.

This suggests that while (in mice) androgens affect spatial memory performance, that effect is in a narrow area of memory performance (specifically, short-term spatial memory); it contrasts with impacts in other species (different observations have been made on rats); and--most importantly for this discussion--it does not present a generalized cognitive benefit.

Furthermore, the methodology used in the study does not serve to distinguish between relative concentrations of androgens in male and female subjects. Women's bodies produce naturally occuring androgens, and there is nothing to demonstrate that their concentration is insufficient to trigger the same performance impacts as the higher concentration in males.

Similarly, estrogens are equally capable of inducing structural change in the brain, and given the ability of androgens and estrogens to convert into each other, isolating impacts is extremely difficult.

But what this really tells me is that you have limited your research to abstracts, and do not really understand the science underlying the studies. You are drawing inappropriate conclusions from the research.

If you want to tell me that male brains and female brains are different, I will agree with you unreservedly. But if you want to tell me that sex differences between male and female brains have demonstrable variances in cognitive performance, then you are going to find me far less receptive to your argument.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 5:44 pm

NarcissusSavage wrote:
Given that IQ tests are the most established means of quantifying intelligence, and given that men as a group score higher on IQ tests than women, then it follows that men (still as a group, remember) are more intelligent than women.

IQ tests are the most established method of testing the ill-defined quantity of intelligence, in the sense that they are least crappy. The conclusion doesn't follow.

Quote:
I don't understand why this is sexist.

It's not sexist, just incorrect.

bizboy1
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 6:27 pm

Generally, people who score low or would score low tend to try to invalidate the tests. This is usually done to make them feel better.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 6:34 pm

bizboy1 wrote:
Generally, people who score low or would score low tend to try to invalidate the tests. This is usually done to make them feel better.

and the same can be said in reverse order.

anyone that gives them value doe so because they score highly on them.

so far i think we barely know what intelligence is,
then there is all the external and internal factors, thought pattern for one, it doesnt matter how fast your neurons fire if they are firing in the wrong place, so to speak.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 7:24 pm

bizboy1 wrote:

Weirdly I mostly see the contrary. Those who get low score think it validate that they are "stupid", and those with high score say it mean nothing because there is no way that they are that smart.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 11:59 pm

bizboy1 wrote:

i scored well and i think they are complete and utter bullcrap.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 12:10 am

hyperlexian wrote:
bizboy1 wrote:

i scored well and i think they are complete and utter bullcrap.
I fairly consistently test to 119 or 120, and I think IQ tests are crap.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 1:15 am

sage_gerard wrote:
CrazyCatLord wrote:
This is how Wikipedia creates new "facts"

Oh ye of little faith. As if issues like this are never caught. :roll:

Google itself gives you what you want, not what is true. As I said before, Wikipedia does have standards. They encourage citing peer-reviewed sources themselves and not original research. They even have places dedicated to debate on the reliability of sources (click).

Wikipedia is pretty good if you stick to the well established articles. Newer articles can be sketchier.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 1:25 am

the implicit association test referenced in the second link is available here:

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/d ... atest.html

Quote:
Your Result
Your data suggest little or no association between Male and Female with Science and Liberal Arts.

interesting.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 1:35 am

Dox47 wrote:

William Delaney's aggressive, confrontational, and relentless style is more analogous to the Black Knight's.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4[/youtube]