Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 5:18 pm

Okay..
If we allowed gay marriage- nationwide-tomorrow-what exactly are they? The bad things that would happen as a result?

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 5:20 pm

Gays would get married and uh... yeah

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 10:36 pm

I think the fear is that they'd run around naked in public and start thrusting their genitals in kids faces.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 12:20 am

snapcap wrote:
I think the fear is that they'd run around naked in public and start thrusting their genitals in kids faces.

There should be a PSA to educate people about how legalizing gay marriage does not mean that trenchcoat flashing will also become legal

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 12:34 am

Would this expand health coverage to more available spouses and make costs go up?

I'm reaching with this one to. It's really about all I can come up with.

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 12:39 am

I can think of one terrible, awful thing. The government would have to allow churches that wanted to perform gay marriages to do so, instead of dictating their religious choices. Just ... oh the humanity!!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 1:54 am

Social conservatives have the notion that if gay marriage were legal nationwide, everyone would start gay marrying. Then God would cause America to either sink into the ocean, or become engulfed in lava.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 2:42 am

They might redecorate the White House. :lol:

cozysweater
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 3:06 am

edgewaters wrote:
I can think of one terrible, awful thing. The government would have to allow churches that wanted to perform gay marriages to do so, instead of dictating their religious choices. Just ... oh the humanity!!

But the government already allows this (and doesn't have a legal standing to intervene one way or another). The marriages just aren't legally binding. It's usually the church leadership that freaks out about this and start booting priests/pasters/whathaveyou.

I think the main fear is of change in general. Marginalized groups suddenly becoming equal and bwaaahaahaaa!! ! They will have their revenge :roll:

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 4:28 am

Most of the far right wing homophobic type fundies would quit their jobs, give away all their money and huddle in the corners of their bedrooms waiting on the rapture, because they would see it as yet another sign.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Aelfwine
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 May 2012, 5:03 am

I think there isn't any relevant bad result.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 7:03 am

The same thing that happened in Argentina, Belgium, Canada, Iceland, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, South Africa, and Sweden. Gay people could get married and society started to become a bit more tolerant.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 8:48 am

I am glad you asked.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 10:06 am

I can't tell you if this is good or bad, but its conditional in all fairness.

Gradeschool kids would be asked - when they grow up - whether they'd want to marry a man or a woman. You also could not have prince and princess fairytales read without having prince and prince, princess and princess included.

I think the reason why people are afraid of this is not a fear of gays but a shock and awe of just how pervasive this really is and how much its going to rewrite culture.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 11:33 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Okay..
If we allowed gay marriage- nationwide-tomorrow-what exactly are they? The bad things that would happen as a result?

Nothing.

ruveyn

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2012, 11:39 am

edgewaters wrote:
The government would have to allow churches that wanted to perform gay marriages to do so, instead of dictating their religious choices.

I think the worry might be that churches that did not want to recognise gay marriage would be forced into doing so.