Do you buy Uncle Ben or Aunt Jemima products?

Page 5 of 9 [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Do you buy those brands?
Yes 50%  50%  [ 13 ]
No - they're racist 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No - I buy something cheaper 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
No - I don't like them 31%  31%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 26

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 8:58 am

ArrantPariah wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
By the way, aren't some of you going to get spankings for having posted "offensive" images?

Are you offended?

No, but I possess a relatively high threshold for being offended, and whether or not I am personally offended has no bearing.

Quote:
The following activities are unacceptable on WrongPlanet:

1. Posting offensive language, comments, video, or images.
Unacceptable content includes swearing; racist, sexist, homophobic language; behavior intended to provoke or belittle other members; violent or sexually demeaning content; sexual fetish; and discussion of excretory function. Posting graphic images or videos of people or animals being harmed is prohibited.

Members have received spankings for less.

Like for calling a troll a troll and that troll tattling on them? Note that I'm not mentioning names....

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 9:06 am

Raptor wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
By the way, aren't some of you going to get spankings for having posted "offensive" images?

Are you offended?

No, but I possess a relatively high threshold for being offended, and whether or not I am personally offended has no bearing.

Quote:

Unacceptable content includes swearing; racist, sexist, homophobic language; behavior intended to provoke or belittle other members; violent or sexually demeaning content; sexual fetish; and discussion of excretory function. Posting graphic images or videos of people or animals being harmed is prohibited.

Like for calling a troll a troll and that troll tattling on them? Note that I'm not mentioning names....

:shameonyou:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 9:40 am

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
. It should not be necessary to boycott, because I truly believe that 'with great power comes great responsibility'. Profit and cheap prices for luxury goods (chocolate and Coca Cola) coming before human dignity is quite wrong. I understand if you disagree.

Responsibility is promoted by law, not good character.

ruveyn

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 10:01 am

Uncle Ben's doesn't sell Indian or Thai sauces in the States.
I really miss their korma and tika masala.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 10:05 am

I wish Aunt Jemima put out a blueberry syrup that I could buy at the grocery, I might start eating waffles again.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 1:06 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:

Are you offended?

Quote:

Go message a mod then, I'm not removing the images

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 1:24 pm

edgewaters wrote:
YippySkippy wrote:
"All Labour in Vain"?? What kind of name is that for a pub? 8O

Because when it was named you went to work at the coalfields all day, then spent all the money you earned at the pub, I assume.

The one I'm familiar with was in a major iron and coal industry area. I think maybe the sign dates from that time, when people would come home blackened with soot.

It's this: you can't wash the color off of one's skin. One would labor in vain to do so.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 2:11 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
Just because something is legal in another country, that does not mean it's right.

Right and Wrong is opinion. Opinions are like rectums. We all have at least one.

ruveyn
Yes, it's my opinion that child slavery is wrong. I would think I'm in the majority (I would sincerely hope so). Under what circumstances could such a practice be regarded by anyone as right?

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 2:26 pm

IMHO if you can't cook rice without buying converted rice, you are functionally illiterate and a failure as a human being.

Not being able to make pancakes from scratch just means you are dim or lazy.

Beat one egg with 3 tablespoons sugar and 3 tablespoons vegetable oil and half a teaspoon of salt until you achieve a smooth texture. In a separate bowl, combine 1 cup of flour and 2 teaspoons of double-acting baking powder. Then add 1 cup of milk to the egg/oil/sugar/salt mixture right before dumping in your mixture of flour and baking powder and stirring until it is just slightly lumpy. If you are a heathen you can add some vanilla extract as well. Fruit additions should be made on the griddle.

As for whether you like those prefab breakfast products, that's a matter of questionable taste.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 2:38 pm

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
Yes, it's my opinion that child slavery is wrong. I would think I'm in the majority (I would sincerely hope so). Under what circumstances could such a practice be regarded by anyone as right?

Your opinion is duly noted. Are you ready to fight unto the death for it?

Are you ready to kill people who hold a differing opinion?

ruveyn

Last edited by ruveyn on 05 Jun 2012, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 2:47 pm

^(2 posts up) I know. My Mum bought some pancake mix and handed it to me, because she knew I made pancakes. She's 78, but I gave her a bit of a telling off for buying it, when it's one of the simplest things you can make, minus the additives and for so much less money. When I hear 'Uncle Ben's', I think of boil in the bag rice. Nothing can be simpler than cooking rice. Why does it need to be in a bag? I buy dried food (cereals, legumes, etc), in bulk, from an on-line healthy foods supplier. I don't buy breakfast cereal, like cornflakes, because I mix up my own muesli. It's so easy, much cheaper than buying pre-mixed muesli and you can use the things you like and leave out the sugar, salt and sugar substitutes. It doesn't take much time either. Consumers are appearing to be treated as toddlers.

Last edited by Mummy_of_Peanut on 05 Jun 2012, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 2:54 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:

Your opinion is duly note. Are you ready to fight unto the death for it?

Are you ready to kill people who hold a differing opinion?

ruveyn
It's an online discussion, so not in this instance. But, actually, if I was ever in such a position, I would like to think I could kill the captor of enslaved children - if that was the only way to set them free. It's an unlikely scenario, but I think I'd do it. BTW You seem very defensive about your viewpoint, Are you actually defending child slavery?

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 3:24 pm

Vigilans wrote:

Either discipline is becoming lax, or discipline is unevenly administered.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 3:28 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

Which is more sexy?

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 3:32 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

Or, perhaps intention is taken into account. There is between posting an image with the intent of mocking black people, and posting the same image with the intent of showing how black people have been treated by others.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 4:07 pm

I buy Uncle Ben's rice. The kind I buy isn't boil-in-bag. As far as I know, it's just plain old brown rice. I measure it out, add water and boil it.