Do you buy Uncle Ben or Aunt Jemima products?

Page 4 of 9 [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

Do you buy those brands?
Yes 50%  50%  [ 13 ]
No - they're racist 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No - I buy something cheaper 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
No - I don't like them 31%  31%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 26

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 12:54 am

I don't buy Aunt Jemina syrup.

I live in Québec. I buy maple syrup. Actually, my father even makes maple syrup.

On topic, if we critize ads because they only have white people in them, then criticize other ads because the black people in them are just stereotypes, we fall on some kind of paradox.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 3:27 am

enrico_dandolo wrote:

I live in Québec. I buy maple syrup. Actually, my father even makes maple syrup.

On topic, if we critize ads because they only have white people in them, then criticize other ads because the black people in them are just stereotypes, we fall on some kind of paradox.

Real maple vs. cornstarch. There is no comparison. I prefer honey to cornstarch syrup. A bit expensive but I know what I like.

ruveyn

psych
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 4:19 am

Uncle Bens are owned by MARS, a company which (a few mins research reveals) is propped up by child slavery

they also do bizarre experiments on animals which include force feeding candy additives to mice then make them swim in paint looking for a hidden platform, cardiac punctures which are critised for being completely unnecessary (there are more reliable human studies)

(that should elicit some sympathy even if the child slavery didnt)

.. the racism is a non issue as far as im concerned.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 4:50 am

psych wrote:
Uncle Bens are owned by MARS, a company which (a few mins research reveals) is propped up by child slavery

In what country. Not in the U.S. Child slaver is illegal in the U.S.

ruveyn

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 4:55 am

ruveyn wrote:
psych wrote:

In what country. Not in the U.S. Child slaver is illegal in the U.S.

ruveyn

Various Ivory Coast countries. Mars and a few other companies use child slaves there, where most of the world's cocoa is harvested. The products are sold in the US.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 4:58 am

edgewaters wrote:

Various Ivory Coast countries. Mars and a few other companies use child slaves there, where most of the world's cocoa is harvested. The products are sold in the US.

Is what MARS does legal in the various Ivory Coast countries. If so, what is your complaint? One goes where the labor is less expensive.

I will bet when you buy something you look for the best price you can get.

If so, why is it wrong for the people at MARS to do the same?

If you disapprove of MARS don't buy their products. There are other companies that make candy.

ruveyn

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 5:15 am

ruveyn wrote:
Is what MARS does legal in the various Ivory Coast countries. If so, what is your complaint? One goes where the labor is less expensive.

If you disapprove of MARS don't buy their products. There are other companies that make candy.

ruveyn

I never made a complaint, I just answered a question you asked.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 5:59 am

ruveyn wrote:
edgewaters wrote:

ruveyn
Just because something is legal in another country, that does not mean it's right. For big companies (Mars is far from alone) to go where the labour is least expensive, irrespective of who is doing the labour and how it is done, is really irresponsible and quite disgusting, in my mind. But, no, it's not legal anyway. The problem is that the consumer is so far removed from the product, that we really don't know the ins and outs and rights and wrongs of it. We have to either trust the big companies (we can't possibly do the personal checking for every single thing we buy) or to seek out Fairtrade and pay more (and put trust in the logo). I choose the latter, where I can, but it's not always available for everything I need (I can't really live on chocalate, coffee, tea and bananas). It should not be necessary to boycott, because I truly believe that 'with great power comes great responsibility'. Profit and cheap prices for luxury goods (chocolate and Coca Cola) coming before human dignity is quite wrong. I understand if you disagree.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 6:25 am

enrico_dandolo wrote:

A fellow Quebecker!! Nice!! :thumleft:

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jun 2012, 6:48 am

psych wrote:

they also do bizarre experiments on animals which include force feeding candy additives to mice then make them swim in paint looking for a hidden platform, cardiac punctures which are critised for being completely unnecessary (there are more reliable human studies)

(that should elicit some sympathy even if the child slavery didnt)

.. the racism is a non issue as far as im concerned.

Wow! Thanks for the info on Child Slavery and animal research. I occasionally get M&M's and Doves for an elderly neighbor, but I'll switch to something fair trade instead. I hope she'll like Endangered Species.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 8:03 am

ruveyn wrote:
enrico_dandolo wrote:

Real maple vs. cornstarch. There is no comparison. I prefer honey to cornstarch syrup. A bit expensive but I know what I like.

ruveyn

Actually, in England we either eat this stuff: Image Which is just sugar, I think.

Or real honey.

Aunt Jemima stuff isn't used over here. Uncle Ben is really popular, but I prefer just to buy basmati rice. The sauces are more popular than the rice, but they are really gross. If I use a sauce in a bottle for curries or Chinese food, it's Sharwood's.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 8:17 am

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
edgewaters wrote:

ruveyn
Just because something is legal in another country, that does not mean it's right. For big companies (Mars is far from alone) to go where the labour is least expensive, irrespective of who is doing the labour and how it is done, is really irresponsible and quite disgusting, in my mind. But, no, it's not legal anyway. The problem is that the consumer is so far removed from the product, that we really don't know the ins and outs and rights and wrongs of it. We have to either trust the big companies (we can't possibly do the personal checking for every single thing we buy) or to seek out Fairtrade and pay more (and put trust in the logo). I choose the latter, where I can, but it's not always available for everything I need (I can't really live on chocalate, coffee, tea and bananas). It should not be necessary to boycott, because I truly believe that 'with great power comes great responsibility'. Profit and cheap prices for luxury goods (chocolate and Coca Cola) coming before human dignity is quite wrong. I understand if you disagree.

The Ford Motor Company used slave labour in Germany, where slave labour was legal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/59351.stm

If anyone disapproves, then boycott Ford.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 8:19 am

I buy agave nectar, honey and maple syrup.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 8:23 am

Vigilans wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
By the way, aren't some of you going to get spankings for having posted "offensive" images?

Are you offended?

No, but I possess a relatively high threshold for being offended, and whether or not I am personally offended has no bearing.

Quote:
The following activities are unacceptable on WrongPlanet:

1. Posting offensive language, comments, video, or images.
Unacceptable content includes swearing; racist, sexist, homophobic language; behavior intended to provoke or belittle other members; violent or sexually demeaning content; sexual fetish; and discussion of excretory function. Posting graphic images or videos of people or animals being harmed is prohibited.

Members have received spankings for less.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 8:43 am

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
Just because something is legal in another country, that does not mean it's right.

Right and Wrong is opinion. Opinions are like rectums. We all have at least one.

ruveyn

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2012, 8:58 am

ArrantPariah wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
ArrantPariah wrote:
By the way, aren't some of you going to get spankings for having posted "offensive" images?

Are you offended?

No, but I possess a relatively high threshold for being offended, and whether or not I am personally offended has no bearing.

Quote:
The following activities are unacceptable on WrongPlanet:

1. Posting offensive language, comments, video, or images.
Unacceptable content includes swearing; racist, sexist, homophobic language; behavior intended to provoke or belittle other members; violent or sexually demeaning content; sexual fetish; and discussion of excretory function. Posting graphic images or videos of people or animals being harmed is prohibited.

Members have received spankings for less.

Like for calling a troll a troll and that troll tattling on them? Note that I'm not mentioning names....