Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

kill231
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jun 2012, 10:14 am

Are you part of a religion or not? Explain why you're religious/non-religious .

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 10:22 am

I don't attend Church because I feel like a pariah there. When I was a kid, I had good experiences in Church but now it just seems like Christians are standoffish and rude in Church, the opposite of what Jesus wanted IMO. Then they come knocking on doors either asking me to join them or leaving brochures on my screen door handle. One time I answered the door for one. She saw me and didn't seem to like me much. She just quickly invited me to their church, left a flier in my hand and abruptly left. I mean, what's the point? I am sure Jesus would be more genuine and friendlier. He wouldn't rush off. I guess I expect Christians to be like Jesus which they are not capable, for the most part. If I can find some Christians who are like Jesus, I will go to their church, but so far, I have not.

I'm agnostic.

kill231
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jun 2012, 10:47 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I don't attend Church because I feel like a pariah there. When I was a kid, I had good experiences in Church but now it just seems like Christians are standoffish and rude in Church, the opposite of what Jesus wanted IMO. Then they come knocking on doors either asking me to join them or leaving brochures on my screen door handle. One time I answered the door for one. She saw me and didn't seem to like me much. She just quickly invited me to their church, left a flier in my hand and abruptly left. I mean, what's the point? I am sure Jesus would be more genuine and friendlier. He wouldn't rush off. I guess I expect Christians to be like Jesus which they are not capable, for the most part. If I can find some Christians who are like Jesus, I will go to their church, but so far, I have not.

I'm agnostic.

I'm agnostic for all the same reasons and the supposed fact that some Catholic priests abused children.

Delphiki
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 11:08 am

kill231 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

I'm agnostic.

I'm agnostic for all the same reasons and the supposed fact that some Catholic priests abused children.

That is so ambiguous it doesn't mean anything

kill231
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jun 2012, 11:21 am

Delphiki wrote:
kill231 wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

I'm agnostic.

That is so ambiguous it doesn't mean anything

It happens in my country and that brings shame to the Church and that's what made me agnostic in the first place.

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2012, 12:08 pm

I am non-religious. I am currently Agnostic and I am an ex-Christian. The reason I stopped believing in my old religion is I could not understand at all how a god could love all humans, but still torture them for eternity all because they didn't have faith. Once I lost my old religion, I then realized something else that I didn't ever think of before. If an omniscient being creates beings that it knows are going to Hell, long before ever creating them, but creates them anyway, then it's not a merciful being. This would also mean there is no such thing as free will and that salvation is just a sham.

I could just imagine a cruel god like that, sending a false Messiah to Earth to die what would be a painful death, but this false Messiah could be unable to feel any pain at all. I could easily imagine a cruel god who loves itself more than anything it creates doing what it needs to make its worshipers believe it loves them when it does not, and then torturing all of the other souls who refuse to worship. Luckily there never was a Christ, because if there was, I do not know what I would do. I could not possibly pretend to love a being that knows all of my thoughts, when it is that evil.

kill231
Toucan
Toucan

13 Jun 2012, 12:11 pm

Alfonso12345 wrote:
I am non-religious. I am currently Agnostic and I am an ex-Christian. The reason I stopped believing in my old religion is I could not understand at all how a god could love all humans, but still torture them for eternity all because they didn't have faith. Once I lost my old religion, I then realized something else that I didn't ever think of before. If an omniscient being creates beings that it knows are going to Hell, long before ever creating them, but creates them anyway, then it's not a merciful being. This would also mean there is no such thing as free will and that salvation is just a sham.

I could just imagine a cruel god like that, sending a false Messiah to Earth to die what would be a painful death, but this false Messiah could be unable to feel any pain at all. I could easily imagine a cruel god who loves itself more than anything it creates doing what it needs to make its worshipers believe it loves them when it does not, and then torturing all of the other souls who refuse to worship. Luckily there never was a Christ, because if there was, I do not know what I would do. I could not possibly pretend to love a being that knows all of my thoughts, when it is that horribly cruel.

Simply a hypocritical "creator" who describes his true self as a being who loves seeing others suffer.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 12:15 pm

Alfonso12345 wrote:

I could just imagine a cruel god like that, sending a false Messiah to Earth to die what would be a painful death, but this false Messiah could be unable to feel any pain at all. I could easily imagine a cruel god who loves itself more than anything it creates doing what it needs to make its worshipers believe it loves them when it does not, and then torturing all of the other souls who refuse to worship. Luckily there never was a Christ, because if there was, I do not know what I would do. I could not possibly pretend to love a being that knows all of my thoughts, when it is that evil.

Humans are made in the image of God and humans have positive and negative qualities which means God does as well. It also means humans are godlike. Not sure if God's love is unconditional, but pretty sure Jesus' love is supposed to be.

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2012, 12:17 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Alfonso12345 wrote:

Humans are made in the image of God and humans have positive and negative qualities which means God does as well. It also means humans are godlike. Not sure if God's love is unconditional, but pretty sure Jesus' love is supposed to be.

Well there never was a messiah who performed miracles. The gospels are just stories and nothing more. Besides, how can you possibly know that if this Jesus character existed, his love was unconditional? What if he was really the son of Satan, pretending to be the Son of God, so he could trick people into going to Hell?

Why would a perfect god have negative qualities? That would mean the Bible is in error when it says he is perfect. This would mean he is not a God, just some other type of being that pretends to be.

Last edited by Alfonso12345 on 13 Jun 2012, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 12:19 pm

kill231 wrote:
Are you part of a religion or not? Explain why you're religious/non-religious .

At one time, for a few years, I belonged to a Christian church. That didn't work out long-term for me.

I'm currently spiritual but not affiliated with any religion. I'm not compatible with organized religion. I walk my own spiritual path.

My beliefs don't fit any single category, but share some similarities with gnosticism, Buddhism and paganism.

Last edited by SpiritBlooms on 13 Jun 2012, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 1:22 pm

Yes I am a Christian part of the Proestant reformation I go to a Church called Hopewell United Methdoist Church. I have been religious since I was 7 years old being religious is apart of my. Culture and most of my family is religious :D

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2012, 3:26 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

I'm agnostic.

I don't understand why you became Agnostic based on how people behave. How people behave is not going to make a certain god real or false. It also does not make a religion true or false either. You seem more like a Christian without a specific denomination. I am Agnostic and I certainly would not want to go to church no matter how friendly the Christians that attend are. Losing my faith had absolutely nothing at all to do with the behavior of the people attending the church I once attended.

I'm wondering if it's possible your got the definition of Agnostic mixed up somehow...

Last edited by Alfonso12345 on 13 Jun 2012, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 3:28 pm

<--- Not religious.

Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Cannot be determined due to excessive knowledge of momentum

13 Jun 2012, 3:38 pm

I'm not religious, mostly because of a non-religious upbringing, and I also believe that science > religion.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 11:56 pm

I usually tell people I'm religious, but I'm likely not religious in a strict sense. By that I mean I don't place a lot of importance on creeds, ritual, or other overtly religious activities as part of my spiritual life. Many people who claim to be religious will get involved in ritualistic or formalized worship, being active in those kinds of things for their own sake. There are SOME things I do, like regularly reading the Bible. But I read the Bible to help keep my faith more in the forefront of my mind and try to improve my knowledge and understanding of what being a Christian is all about. I don't think that reading the Bible makes me "more saved" or "more holy" though. I do it because I love it so much. I don't get hung up on creeds, like I said, but I do like that the Nicene Creed succinctly sums up what I think is the whole of Christian faith. So if someone were to ask me what I specifically believe, I'd point to the Nicene Creed.

I'm not opposed to organized religion either. I'm a Southern Baptist, and I've always felt that corporate worship is important, i.e. strength in numbers. I'm also active in music ministry. Music ability has always been a big part of who I am, so I'm thrilled to say church isn't JUST worship for me, but also part of my work. I'm fortunate to be in a church that pays me for what I do--the same gig in other churches is often volunteer. But I'd do it for free if I had to. I've even given some thought to quitting this job and moving to a mission-status church, do this gig for free, and just watch a new congregation grow. That would, sadly, involve getting a "day job." But if circumstances worked out favorably, I'd definitely do it.

I just don't like organized religion when the people involved place too much importance in the ritual or pattern of it rather than focussing on worshipping from the heart. I see that a lot, and I can readily understand why a lot of people become turned off to religion as a whole because of it.

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jun 2012, 1:18 pm

Albirea wrote:
I'm not religious, mostly because of a non-religious upbringing, and I also believe that science > religion.

I agree.