Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 12:45 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CORUJECV-Q4[/youtube]

More of the same and some further policy lurches to the right are what one can expect from Obama's 2nd term. I'd speculate that there's a 45% chance that the GOP will turn to impeachment if Obama's re-elected.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 10:10 am

i would say there's a 100% chance of them trying to pull a stunt like that. again. but he will lose to romney in a backroom-engineered squeaker. then the bloodletting will begin.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 10:16 am

It would be mostly gridlock. If they reach any agreements it will be on taxes and budgets. I don't think you'd see any sweeping legislation but mucho rhetoric and fist shaking.

His only purpose from a liberal perspective would be to pick justices and make sure the Bush tax cuts die.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 12:07 am

I think the Republicans will blow this Fast and Furious crap out of proportion after Obama gets reelected, and will attempt to impeach him.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 12:19 am

What if Romney (or although unlikely, Gary Johnson) wins the election?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 1:30 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
What if Romney (or although unlikely, Gary Johnson) wins the election?

As I recall, Democrats had always been better losers than Republicans, and were willing to work with Reagan and both Bush's.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 3:29 am

auntblabby wrote:

This article has been able to articulate an absolute evil that has been overtaking America better than almost any other source I've read.
Thanks, blabby.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 9:40 am

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 10:42 am

Keep in mind that if Obama wins in November he'll be in his LAST term. Since he cannot run again his incentive to do anything constructive (as opposed to destructive) to use as a springboard for re-election is GONE. Without another term as a goal to shoot for it's not like we can count on his character and moral bearing to carry the day...... :roll:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 10:50 am

Master_Pedant wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CORUJECV-Q4[/youtube]

More of the same and some further policy lurches to the right are what one can expect from Obama's 2nd term. I'd speculate that there's a 45% chance that the GOP will turn to impeachment if Obama's re-elected.

They will need to control the House of Representatives to do that.

ruveyn

Lord_Gareth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jun 2012, 11:14 am

Raptor wrote:
Keep in mind that if Obama wins in November he'll be in his LAST term. Since he cannot run again his incentive to do anything constructive (as opposed to destructive) to use as a springboard for re-election is GONE. Without another term as a goal to shoot for it's not like we can count on his character and moral bearing to carry the day...... :roll:

Don't you think this reasoning is a little backwards (with regards to any president, actually)? Being up for election pressures an incumbent to compromise their principals in order to secure votes; not having that pressure frees them of that need. Additionally, a second-term president has their legacy to worry about, and as some of the world's most famous men they're keenly aware that the eyes of history are upon them. I'd say the pressure is pretty high for President Obama to leave behind something he can be proud of - just as pressure was high on the Bushes, on President Clinton, etc.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 11:25 am

Lord_Gareth wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Don't you think this reasoning is a little backwards (with regards to any president, actually)? Being up for election pressures an incumbent to compromise their principals in order to secure votes; not having that pressure frees them of that need. Additionally, a second-term president has their legacy to worry about, and as some of the world's most famous men they're keenly aware that the eyes of history are upon them. I'd say the pressure is pretty high for President Obama to leave behind something he can be proud of - just as pressure was high on the Bushes, on President Clinton, etc.

Depends on how you look at it and who we're looking at.....

Lord_Gareth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jun 2012, 11:51 am

Raptor wrote:
Lord_Gareth wrote:
Raptor wrote:

No, it really doesn't. Any second-term president is pretty much in the exact same boat, with only four years to leave a mark on history other than, "Meh, he was kinda okay." If you want to accuse President Obama of being morally bankrupt, then just go out and say it - you wouldn't be the first - but the reasoning you just gave for it is fairly bogus no matter WHICH president (past or future) one is talking about.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2012, 12:09 pm

Raptor wrote:
Lord_Gareth wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Republicans have made a cottage industry out of vilifying the president - then quickly have come to believe their own propaganda that he's this horrible person.