Those who pay for education should consider the benefits of

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2016, 2:42 pm

Those who pay for education should consider the benefits of a bonus system for students.

We have been watching the Canadian and U.S. national level of education stall in the doldrums, as compared to other nations. Not shamefully so but irritatingly so. We need to reverse this slow slide.

We, Western citizens of rich nation, are not serving our students well. We pay our teachers; we should consider paying our students, --- who, --- after a good service rendered by the system, --- a passing grade and more, --- would decide to pay their teachers in an appropriate way, by merit, a worthy amount. Teachers will make more in salary, once the low achievers drop out, and students will pay less, as their productivity increases.

I think this beats indebting our students for years, as we are doing now.

A bonus system, similar to that used in the work force would encourage students to learn better as well as having teachers organize better. All sales and human resource oriented people, as well as those who have worked in a bonus system will agree; a bonus system produces better results and productivity in the personnel than just a straight pay cheque.

That fact, should tell all who pay for education, including students, that the best use of our hard earned money, --- is not to give it to teachers while indebting students, --- but to recognize that the thing to do, is to give it to the students, --- in a bonus system. That system would range from the low achievers paying full price, to the high achievers paying nothing.

We already have this type of a program, for high achievers. They are given bursaries, grants, and scholarships. With this system already in place we can expand it to represent all students at all levels of education from daycare on up.

If we refuse to reward learning for all students, the doldrums of our education levels will eventually position us in a whirlpool, in terms of world level education. Not a very smart thing for a nation to do.

I hope you recognize the logic and reason of such a bonus system, and more importantly, recognize the benefits and savings that it would yield to all students and tax payers.

Do you see the benefits?

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2016, 7:57 pm

What if the student decides to just pocket the money?

If the teacher was effective and the student failed, I could imagine a student withholding money out of spite.

Teacher performance never seems to be an issue, the issue is the cost of tuition itself (especially textbooks) and the cost of living in general.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2016, 8:59 am

MDD123 wrote:
Quote:
What if the student decides to just pocket the money?

That is his or her choice to make but then that student would not be allowed in a class or paying students.

Those are called dropouts.

Quote:
If the teacher was effective and the student failed, I could imagine a student withholding money out of spite.

Those students might vote that way but majority rules in such a case. Those students would only be trying to justify their own laziness or stupidity.

Quote:
Teacher performance never seems to be an issue, the issue is the cost of tuition itself (especially textbooks) and the cost of living in general.

I do not agree. Some teachers perform better than others. To say that all teachers are good teachers is to have blinders on. If that were so, then our ratings would not be sliding downward as compared to other systems.

Regards
DL

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2016, 11:06 pm

I haven't seen a teacher at the community college level who wasn't passionate about their class, maybe I just lucked out. I've seen more issues with student performance, and disagreements on how many assignments a professor should hand out. I think teachers care enough about their reputation to perform as teachers.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2016, 1:26 pm

MDD123 wrote:
I haven't seen a teacher at the community college level who wasn't passionate about their class, maybe I just lucked out. I've seen more issues with student performance, and disagreements on how many assignments a professor should hand out. I think teachers care enough about their reputation to perform as teachers.

Sure. They likely all care about their reputation and performance. Just as all student probably do.

That does not negate that some teachers as well as students will perform better than others and to grade all teachers and students in an equitable way is how we inform the lower producers that they might want to revue their opinion of their skills, be those of teaching or learning respectively.

Regards
DL