Question for Catholics: Have there been any autistic Saints?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 8:18 am

I'm sure Heaven has many of us there, but I'm wondering if any have been canonized.

I would be nice to know if there's another human soul up there watching out for me besides my mom and all my aunts and uncles (whom I'm not entirely sure about, since only God knows the state of their souls when they died).

Please keep your 2 cents if you hate Catholics and/or organized religion and use it to start your own thread.

<))))><

nolan1971
Toucan
Toucan

09 Aug 2012, 8:49 am

The closest possible saint suspected of having autism is Joseph Cupertino.
I just read about him and his symptoms sound very familiar.
It is a very interesting story so check it out! :D

St. Dymphna is also a saint for all mental disorders.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 12:45 pm

Now that I think about it, St Therese seems a likely candidate. She never left her cloister, and she was so single minded like some of us when we are absorbed in a special interest.

St Jerome is a possibility also. He spent his life studying in one field of interest, wrote prolifically about it, and then spent the last 20 some odd years of his life as a hermit. Not to mention the Latin Vulgate, that took dedication.

Then there is St Francis of Assissi. He was gentle and his affinity for animals was so strong that he could not stand to see one harmed. The early brothers in his order did not even ride a horse or donkey without special dispensation, because they honored his love of animals.

Mind you, I'm only going on similar traits that they shared with those on the spectrum. Many people share them and aren't autistic, but many autistics do share them.

I would suggest that you ask Fr Muller. I bet he would know. As far as I can tell, he knows more about the Church than Benedict XVI. If he doesn't know the answer, he will find it for you.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 1:06 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Now that I think about it, St Therese seems a likely candidate. She never left her cloister, and she was so single minded like some of us when we are absorbed in a special interest.

St Jerome is a possibility also. He spent his life studying in one field of interest, wrote prolifically about it, and then spent the last 20 some odd years of his life as a hermit. Not to mention the Latin Vulgate, that took dedication.

Then there is St Francis of Assissi. He was gentle and his affinity for animals was so strong that he could not stand to see one harmed. The early brothers in his order did not even ride a horse or donkey without special dispensation, because they honored his love of animals.

Mind you, I'm only going on similar traits that they shared with those on the spectrum. Many people share them and aren't autistic, but many autistics do share them.

I would suggest that you ask Fr Muller. I bet he would know. As far as I can tell, he knows more about the Church than Benedict XVI. If he doesn't know the answer, he will find it for you.

Now that you mention it, St. Jerome wasn't known for his winning personality. Isn't he one who was considered a bit prickly? We have a show here called "Web of Faith" where 2 priests answer questions from viewers. I may put this to them.

nolan1971
Toucan
Toucan

09 Aug 2012, 1:07 pm

I agree about St. Therese after reading her book A Silent Soul I could absolutely see her as possibly Aspie
as well as St Francis.
What struck me was the symptoms that St. Joseph Cupertino suffered from sensory issues to intense special interests
depression,anxiety and so on.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 1:25 pm

Mindsigh wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

Now that you mention it, St. Jerome wasn't known for his winning personality. Isn't he one who was considered a bit prickly? We have a show here called "Web of Faith" where 2 priests answer questions from viewers. I may put this to them.

Oooh! That's a great idea! I had forgot who all you had access to there! ;-)

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com